Passport, birth certificate and global entry on Alaska cruise through vancouver

creel5857

we have passports but have friends traveling on trip with us who do not. Do they need passport to come back through Vancouver at port and airport?? By chance, will our global entry help us in Vancouver??

Are you saying your friends do not have a passport? They need appropriate id to enter Canada: [Canadian border svc website]

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html#a3

Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

If you are flying from Vancouver back to the US, you need a passport:

Entry into the United States: When traveling by air from Canada, U.S. citizens are required by U.S. law to present a U.S. passport book. A few exceptions to this rule and a full list of documents that can be used at land and sea borders are provided on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website.

In addition to the country requirements, your cruise line might have additional requirements, so make sure you check.

For us, boarding the ship in Vancouver - there was no Global Entry line - I asked :-)

Thanks for responses........just want to verify if you are saying everyone DOES have to have a passport to arrive on cruise ship in Vancouver and fly out of Vancouver airport back to US??? They have birth certificates but no passports. The information that I looked at on US government website left me a bit confused.....thanks for any further clarification

When you say 'through' Vancouver, it sounds like a southbound one-way AK cruise, or a repo at the start of next season. Either way, passports are required for all. It's only Round Trip, Closed Loop cruises from and to the same US port that are exempt from normal WHTI requirement for US citizens - with a flight out of YVR planned too, your friends need to get their passport applications in, end of story.

Even NEXUS will be unlikely to be good enough on its own due to the flight - while it would get you in and out of either country by land or sea no problem, even though it's legal according to both US & Canadian government to fly those between airports with kiosks many airlines won't take anything but a passport.

US and Canadian citizens may use WHTI-compatible documents in lieu of a passport for closed loop cruises from a USA port ONLY.

OP still has not made it clear if they are sailing a round-trip Vancouver cruise, or an Alaska-Vancouver open jaw cruise.

If the latter, anyone without a passport will be denied boarding from the start.

If the former, the question still remains how they...erm, their "friends"...are going to travel between the US and Canada and back.

I see no way to conclude with anything other than everyone needs passports.

And as to using Global Entry at the airport in Vancouver you must have the card physically with you or they will not allow you to get in the GE line. When we were leaving Vancouver last July the guy behind us was out of luck because while he had his number he did not have the card. Luckily I had read about this on CC prior to leaving on this trip and had ours with us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure you can use Global Entry to get on the cruise ship in Vancouver.  When you get in the US immigration area, the desk to the far left is Global Entry/handicapped/non-rev passengers and is MUCH shorter than the other lines.  That is, of course, unless I'm confusing Global Entry with one of the other priority programs to get you through customs quickly.  

On 9/24/2018 at 6:14 PM, creel5857 said:

.........By chance, will our global entry help us in Vancouver??

When I departed through the Vancouver airport in June, my Global Entry Security Line had 12 passengers while the regular line had hundreds passengers.  I departed my cruise ship at 7:45 AM and was seated at my Alaska Airlines gate at 9:00 AM

On 9/26/2018 at 5:46 PM, Chairsin said:

And as to using Global Entry at the airport in Vancouver you must have the card physically with you or they will not allow you to get in the GE line. When we were leaving Vancouver last July the guy behind us was out of luck because while he had his number he did not have the card. Luckily I had read about this on CC prior to leaving on this trip and had ours with us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is good to know. We have global entry but have always just swiped our passport. We have never shown our card before.

Also, a birth certificate will not match current photo ID if there has been a name change (through marriage for example).

Unless, they also bring the marriage certificate with them. IMHO, traveling is so much easier with our passports.

On 9/25/2018 at 10:51 AM, Hoyaheel said:

For us, boarding the ship in Vancouver - there was no Global Entry line - I asked 🙂

There was, late last year at least on a 2 ship day.  Security line is on the left of the main line (you'll see a freestanding sign for crew and a tiny little GE sign under it), and GE immigration line was on the left.  Worked very nicely for me.

1 minute ago, cruising cockroach said:

There was, late last year at least on a 2 ship day.  Security line is on the left of the main line (you'll see a freestanding sign for crew and a tiny little GE sign under it), and GE immigration line was on the left.  Worked very nicely for me.

There were two ships boarding when we boardedin Vancouver in August 2018. GE was not an option. So, as with pretty much anything in life, your mileage may vary 😉 I was prepared (I had my GE card, which normally I do not travel with) and I asked, but I did not gain anything....