what should we do??

shlameggy79

Hello everyone,

We are seasoned cruisers but we have never been to San Juan. We are coming on the Carnival Horizon.

It will be myself, my husband and our two sons. 7 and 5.

we are trying to stay away from the beach because we are doing that in Grand Turk and St Marteen.

any suggestions would be great!!

We have done the hop on hop off bus, it was a double decker bus that went everywhere, plus a great agent giving knowledgeable info about the island. At one point it was just are family on the bus. They asked us if we would mind if they stopped at Burger King so they could grab lunch. Absolutely not do ur thing, we never got off. Was a cheap great way to see the island. Fyi this was right before they got devastated.

Glad you aren't planning a beach stop in San Juan ... not the best for a port stiop there.

You can walk to anyplace you wish -- forts, etc. and don't really need to wait around for a crowded trolly.

Our grandchildren also enjoy going to Columbus Square to feed the piegons.

Have a great time! :)

Glad you aren't planning a beach stop in San Juan ... not the best for a port stiop there.

You can walk to anyplace you wish -- forts, etc. and don't really need to wait around for a crowded trolly.

Our grandchildren also enjoy going to Columbus Square to feed the piegons.

Have a great time! :)

Mine also want to go to the pigeon park. Can you get there by trolley? We plan to do this, chocolate cafe, shop around maybe the fort. Is this all pretty accessible be trolley with some easy walking? We have someone with a back issue here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a local I can honestly advise against the trolley. They are currently running short on units and even when all are running, you could be waiting forever in the stops near the pier for one with enough space to sit. You can walk to Sam Cristobal fort which is closest to the port and then from there to El Morro (about a mile away). You can visit the pigeon park on your way down to the pier from El Morro. Or you can skip San Cristobal and take a quick taxi to El Morro and walk back down to the pier.

As a local I can honestly advise against the trolley. They are currently running short on units and even when all are running, you could be waiting forever in the stops near the pier for one with enough space to sit. You can walk to Sam Cristobal fort which is closest to the port and then from there to El Morro (about a mile away). You can visit the pigeon park on your way down to the pier from El Morro. Or you can skip San Cristobal and take a quick taxi to El Morro and walk back down to the pier.

Stinger-pr, what about any local beaches that you take a quick/cheap cab ride to near the port in OSJ? We are coming in on the CCL Magic in November and were planning to do a little bit of beach time and then come back to walk around OSJ before re-boarding the ship.

Thanks!

There are a few beaches nearby but the one I'd recommend would depend on the experience you might be looking for. About two miles from the port there is Escambron beach. It has no facilities, no rentals and sometimes waves can get a bit rough. Right besides the Condado Plaza hotel in the Condado area has a small beach area right besides it. Not sure if you can rent chairs there but, since it's right behind a wave breaker, it tends to be mostly calm. But it's small! Search for "Condado Plaza beach" to see pics. Another option is the beach behind the Marriott Stellaris, also in Condado. You can usually buy a day pass there and there are lots of places nearby to eat in case you opt for anything other than the expensive hotel food. But this is an " unprotected" beach and surf's usually rough and there are sometimes strong under currents. While a lot of people go for this beach/day pass package, I always recommend otherwise strictly for safety reasons.

You can also go to Isla Verde beach (google for great pics of the area). It's a long stretch of nicely kept beach with usually calmer surf behind a lot of condos and hotels (don't worry, it won't be crowded) and there are vendors for chairs and umbrellas at the end of Tartak St. and there are also lots of food choices within walking distance. Taxi ride here is the longest at about 15-20 minutes and it should cost a fixed (about) $22 per ride up to 5 people each way. You can opt to set up camp behind one of the hotels for ease of getting a taxi back to the ship or if you stay at the Tartak St. area, there are taxis readily available at the nearby San Juan Water and Beach Club hotel. Taxis to the Condado area beaches should take about half the time and half the price.