Free (or almost free) things to do in Belize, cozumel, MB Roatan?

opensaysme

you needing to see simple declarative sentences as condescending is something you're going to have to deal with. Perhaps you'll divert your focus from going out to the cayes to the old Heritage Center which is just minutes outside of Belize City. The trick here is to focus on the information that actually works for you.

You do come off as condescending. Fortunately we can avoid your posts by skipping over them. This is supposed to be a way to share information, and not have attitudes when someone a asks questions because they aren’t as savvy about cruising and the ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

A stop at the Mega Store in Cozumel is a wonderful experience! During their teen years, my kids enjoyed the cereal selections (photo with a new Star Wars box taken in an aisle was a big find), the children' books in Spanish, various clothing items to purchase, snacks from the bakery, the "escalator" for shopping carts (novel to us)...last time around, I shopped there for a variety of Mexican toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss and mouthwash for someone's new educational-track/career-interest. If you forgot bug spray, water shoes, sunscreen, lip balm, etc. this is a helpful and fun visit, too.

I found that simply looking at the labels and comparing brands was quite interesting. Bought some lovely kitchen towels one time, too!

• Like 2

You do come off as condescending. Fortunately we can avoid your posts by skipping over them. This is supposed to be a way to share information, and not have attitudes when someone a asks questions because they aren’t as savvy about cruising and the ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please. Go ahead and skip over them.

A stop at the Mega Store in Cozumel is a wonderful experience! During their teen years, my kids enjoyed the cereal selections (photo with a new Star Wars box taken in an aisle was a big find), the children' books in Spanish, various clothing items to purchase, snacks from the bakery, the "escalator" for shopping carts (novel to us)...last time around, I shopped there for a variety of Mexican toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss and mouthwash for someone's new educational-track/career-interest. If you forgot bug spray, water shoes, sunscreen, lip balm, etc. this is a helpful and fun visit, too.

I found that simply looking at the labels and comparing brands was quite interesting. Bought some lovely kitchen towels one time, too!

A stop at the Mega Store - added to the list (y) That sounds like our kind of adventure! Thank you! <3

Thanks for all the suggestions here so far. I am particularly interested in Belize. On our first stop here, we booked a small group open-boat trip to Caye Caulker. This was mainly for people snorkelling, but for non swimmers, we had the option of being dropped off on the Caye itself for a couple hours, then rejoining for the boat ride back. We chose this tour because the shuttle boat to Caye Caulker departed too early for our ship arrival including tendering time.

First, the tour operator was about 45 minutes late picking us up. On the way back, the boat broke down, and we had to wait for the guy’s buddy to come and get us in another boat. We barely made the last shuttle to the ship. Caye Caulker was nice enough but not very interesting. We rented a golf cart and drove around the very tiny community, which seems to be mostly made up of diving guys and gals and people seeking a laid back alternative lifestyle. The community is mostly small shacks and cottages. Both the boat and tender rides were very long and somewhat rough. This would be a bad day for someone prone to seasickness.

The excursion to the Mayan ruins sounds like a better choice for us. Caye Cailker - meh.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions here so far. I am particularly interested in Belize. On our first stop here, we booked a small group open-boat trip to Caye Caulker. This was mainly for people snorkelling, but for non swimmers, we had the option of being dropped off on the Caye itself for a couple hours, then rejoining for the boat ride back. We chose this tour because the shuttle boat to Caye Caulker departed too early for our ship arrival including tendering time.

First, the tour operator was about 45 minutes late picking us up. On the way back, the boat broke down, and we had to wait for the guy’s buddy to come and get us in another boat. We barely made the last shuttle to the ship. Caye Caulker was nice enough but not very interesting. We rented a golf cart and drove around the very tiny community, which seems to be mostly made up of diving guys and gals and people seeking a laid back alternative lifestyle. The community is mostly small shacks and cottages. Both the boat and tender rides were very long and somewhat rough. This would be a bad day for someone prone to seasickness.

The excursion to the Mayan ruins sounds like a better choice for us. Caye Cailker - meh.

Ambergris Caye is much better

When we went to Belize 4 weeks ago, we did the snorkel tour at the barrier reef and stop at starfish island with the cruise company. It was a nice trip but one has to be aware that the reef is outside kind of in the ocean and the water can be choppy. Also there was not that much to see other than a starfish and one stingray.

Starfish island for us was kind of boring especially since there were only a few places that would offer some shade and the part where you were allowed to swim the water was not very clear.

We´d have loved to go snorkelling to Caye Caulker with a private company but they did not want to take us since we were with MSC (we had the same port times than another american cruise line at the same day).

• Like 1

Okay folks, OP wants cheap/free stuff, not excursions to the cayes.

OP, your best bet is, unfortunately, to hang around the tender pier, called the Tourism Village. Shopping restaurants, a small chocolate shop. Just outside is a flea market with cheaper local goods than inside the Village. Also a small lighthouse and a colorful BELIZE sign.

You can walk, or take a taxi, to the Heritage Center, a cultural museum across from the Anglican church that used to be the home of the British colonial Governor. Get a map of Belize City. There are also museums and great local food restaurants in the Ft George area where the Tourism Village is located. Nice walk along the shore to them via Marine Parade (where the lighthouse is).

You can also take a 15-20 minute taxi ride to "Old Belize" where a manmade marina and beach called Cucumber Beach is located. Used primarily by locals in Belize City on the weekend. Haven't been there in a very long time so not sure what's available during the week.

• Like 1

Okay folks, OP wants cheap/free stuff, not excursions to the cayes.

OP, your best bet is, unfortunately, to hang around the tender pier, called the Tourism Village. Shopping restaurants, a small chocolate shop. Just outside is a flea market with cheaper local goods than inside the Village. Also a small lighthouse and a colorful BELIZE sign.

You can walk, or take a taxi, to the Heritage Center, a cultural museum across from the Anglican church that used to be the home of the British colonial Governor. Get a map of Belize City. There are also museums and great local food restaurants in the Ft George area where the Tourism Village is located. Nice walk along the shore to them via Marine Parade (where the lighthouse is).

You can also take a 15-20 minute taxi ride to "Old Belize" where a manmade marina and beach called Cucumber Beach is located. Used primarily by locals in Belize City on the weekend. Haven't been there in a very long time so not sure what's available during the week.

It's going to be okay giving people options is always a good thing. I'm going to give the OPer credit for being able to sort through all the ideas themself. during a couple of small museums in Belize City and touring the rum Factory are also good low-cost options. I can't imagine telling somebody to stay in a tourist trap area.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, o-state girl said:

My favorite Belize excursion option, is the jungle cave tubing with cavetubing.bz . They will pick you up from the port, take you on a short hike through the rainforest to the river, and then you will float down the river through a cave system. Afterwards, they take you to their private restaurant for a Belizean lunch (usually a stewed chicken with red beans and rice) including rum punch for the adults. Right now, their website has a cruise ship special for $35, but I'm not sure if that is a seasonal special and if it will be available during your cruise. I have been on this excursion twice and would not hesitate to go again.

We did the same excursion and loved it! The price was the same for us, the guides were nice, funny and informative. The food was very good. They do have a zipline add on, but we just did the cave tubing and had time to walk around and shop after getting dropped off.

For Roatan and Cozumel we hired a driver (Victor Bodden and Black Hat respectively), there were just 5 of us and it was $25 per person. We had them take us around to the free stuff around the island plus to a good (cheap) place for lunch ;)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

We like going to Nachi Cocom in Cozumel.  It's an all-inclusive beach that has a max capacity of 135 guests per day.  It is not crowded at all.  Your waiter will bring you as much food and drinks as you want.  They also have a pool, if you don't want to relax on a lounge chair under a Palapa.  Total cost is $55/person for the day.  Very relaxing.  We'll be going back there in a few weeks.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 8:23 PM, opensaysme said:

This is sooo precious! Now this is my kind of fun! And just the sort of creative thing I like to see/hear about! Thank you for added that! That made my night! :halo:<3<3

Yes, as a foodie, I love shopping in other countries for unique goodies, especially cheese, chocolates, alcohol.  It’s interesting to compare prices, availability (or not) of common stuff.  You often have to get away from the pier, into a town, to find a true local store.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:52 AM, geeko1 said:

you needing to see simple declarative sentences as condescending is something you're going to have to deal with. Perhaps you'll divert your focus from going out to the cayes to the old Heritage Center which is just minutes outside of Belize City. The trick here is to focus on the information that actually works for you.

it would be so ironic if the 2 of you were on the same cruise … in cabins next to each other

• 2 weeks later...

Roatan is amazing, and you do not have to spend much to see more than the port.  If you like swimming, and that is all, then by all means, enjoy Mahogany Bay and don't think twice about it.  :-)  However, we just spent a week there after our cruise last year was unable to make port, and wow....what a paradise!  We like to snorkel, so that is what we primarily did.  Count me among the many that recommend Victor Bodden.  He will take you anywhere you want.  Animal sanctuary?  You have monkeys and birds, not in cages, at Gumblimba.  Monkeys, birds, and sloths in cages but you can go in with them?  Bodden has his own zoo.  Free roaming iguanas that you feed?  Arches Iguana Farm, for sure.  He can also take you to a rum factory (really just a store with samples).  I think Bodden's farm was $5/person if you use his driver.  Arches was $10/person.  Gumblimba is more expense at near $45 I think, but that might include the beach.

For beach time, hands down West Bay Beach.  You can buy wristbands that get you lounge chairs at Infinity Bay, or you can just throw a towel in the sand.  You can rent snorkel gear at the beach, or bring your own.  You can literally see the fish two steps into the water, and the coral is just a few feet further in, where you can see so many colorful fish you might think you fell into your dentist office's fish tank.  Amazing.

So yeah.  If nothing else, take a local taxi and get dropped off at West Bay/Tabayana Beach.  They are easy to find.  If you'd like to see anymore, or want a personal touch to your taxi, reserve Victor Bodden.  He can even hook you up with the wristbands you would need at Infinity, or give you great advice on Tabayana.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Triple C said:

Roatan is amazing, and you do not have to spend much to see more than the port.  If you like swimming, and that is all, then by all means, enjoy Mahogany Bay and don't think twice about it.  :-)  However, we just spent a week there after our cruise last year was unable to make port, and wow....what a paradise!  We like to snorkel, so that is what we primarily did.  Count me among the many that recommend Victor Bodden.  He will take you anywhere you want.  Animal sanctuary?  You have monkeys and birds, not in cages, at Gumblimba.  Monkeys, birds, and sloths in cages but you can go in with them?  Bodden has his own zoo.  Free roaming iguanas that you feed?  Arches Iguana Farm, for sure.  He can also take you to a rum factory (really just a store with samples).  I think Bodden's farm was $5/person if you use his driver.  Arches was $10/person.  Gumblimba is more expense at near $45 I think, but that might include the beach.

For beach time, hands down West Bay Beach.  You can buy wristbands that get you lounge chairs at Infinity Bay, or you can just throw a towel in the sand.  You can rent snorkel gear at the beach, or bring your own.  You can literally see the fish two steps into the water, and the coral is just a few feet further in, where you can see so many colorful fish you might think you fell into your dentist office's fish tank.  Amazing.

So yeah.  If nothing else, take a local taxi and get dropped off at West Bay/Tabayana Beach.  They are easy to find.  If you'd like to see anymore, or want a personal touch to your taxi, reserve Victor Bodden.  He can even hook you up with the wristbands you would need at Infinity, or give you great advice on Tabayana.

I shall look into Victor Bodden. I have heard of his tour company many times! Sound advice thank you!

On 2/17/2019 at 2:31 PM, catsngoats said:

Yes, as a foodie, I love shopping in other countries for unique goodies, especially cheese, chocolates, alcohol.  It’s interesting to compare prices, availability (or not) of common stuff.  You often have to get away from the pier, into a town, to find a true local store.

Yes, I’m so into this! I always say that when I travel somewhere I “move in” even for just a day in the case of a cruise, but I really like to experience the culture!

On 9/25/2018 at 1:45 PM, crewsweeper said:

Just outside is a flea market with cheaper local goods than inside the Village.

Oooooo, a flea market!!! Yaaaasss!! Right up our ally!! Thanks for the detailed directions on how to get there! We will be checking this out!