Jaimies At the bluereef Full review-

proggieus

Crewsweeper...the review is not mine, but does sound fabulous :cool:. I've already contacted this establishment yesterday but have not yet heard back. Hopefully I will hear back today so I can plan accordingly. I saw another poster who commented on another establishment (not one of the places talked about here, something like barefoot beach club) where her husband got so ill from the alcohol served. It was his last drink and he took one sip and said it was different tasting and diff color then all the rest. I'm not a big drinker and I don't want to sound naive...but I would hate for something like this to ruin a great cruise. Is that something that I should be worried about here or maya chan? Thanks. Nancy

I have only been to Jaimies once so far but with the care he obviously puts into the food i would have no fear of the drinks being off.

Jaimies has a cooler of beer and water right next to the sitting areas, if you are concerned you could always just go grab and open your own from there.

It seems like such a short sighted scam, save $40 dollars day on your alcohol bill and run your reputation in a week when your victems get back to the internet.

We were at Maya Chan in '16 and it was great, no issues with anything and we drank a few Margaritas. They were sold out for our cruise date this time so we scrambled and found the review about Jamie's and read several reviews that were glowing and we booked it for this cruise. Looking forward to a great experience like the reviewer had. Read the reviews to make your choice, you can learn a lot from social media and when a vendor tells you to read his reviews you know he has nothing to hide.

We were at Maya Chan in '16 and it was great, no issues with anything and we drank a few Margaritas. They were sold out for our cruise date this time so we scrambled and found the review about Jamie's and read several reviews that were glowing and we booked it for this cruise. Looking forward to a great experience like the reviewer had. Read the reviews to make your choice, you can learn a lot from social media and when a vendor tells you to read his reviews you know he has nothing to hide.

Thanks....we booked already and are excited for our upcoming cruise.

Thanks....we booked already and are excited for our upcoming cruise.

Which did you book; Maya Chan or Blue Reef?

Now all I have to do is figure out where the short cut to the taxis is located, lol. Supposedly there is an exit before you get to the shops but it is hard to find.

Now all I have to do is figure out where the short cut to the taxis is located, lol. Supposedly there is an exit before you get to the shops but it is hard to find.

Blue reef 😎

Directions from Jaime...

When you get to the port go pass all the port facilities and proceed to go outside the port to get a yellow cab. The taxis have recently changed the pricing policy. The taxi ride to town is now $8 per taxi. Most taxis can take up to 4 people, some can take more. There are many other guests from the cruise ship coming into the town of Mahahual. Everyone queues up to wait for the taxis at the same place. We suggest you find others from the ship to share a taxi with you if you are a party less than four people. We will refund $1 per person due to this additional expense. Tell the driver to take you to the blue reef hotel and beach club, there are a few cab drivers that are new so they might not know how to get here but it is easy, just tell them to take you to EL HOTEL EL FUERTE, we are just about 70 feet from the HOTEL EL FUERTE , when you get here at your drop off we are about 60 feet from the drop off towards the beach, you will see all the signs that say Blue Reef beach club, we are the only beach club with yellow beach lounge chairs you can’t miss it, we are about 9 min from the port,however we will be waiting for you at the drop off with a staff member with a T- Shirt with our logo, Jaime’s at the Blue Reef. Please let us know if you have any other questions. We are happy to help.

https://goo.gl/images/NXpgTd

Should be a link to the cruise port in Costa maya...if not I have attached a pic. Hope its helpful.Screenshot_20180925-125304.thumb.jpg.4948a8b148f46e976aa1c6ba43b282e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

We booked Blue Reef also, there are 5 of us so we will probably need a van. Last time in Costa Maya we had 7 adults and two kids in a van so could be possible to share. Thanks for the map. When we were there last time our nephew took us the long way around.

We booked Blue Reef also, there are 5 of us so we will probably need a van. Last time in Costa Maya we had 7 adults and two kids in a van so could be possible to share. Thanks for the map. When we were there last time our nephew took us the long way around.

He probably didnt take you the “long” way round but the official way. There are three exits but they try to restrict the first one now for ship excursions since it takes you to the parking lot with large buses and a narrow sidewalk which is not very user friendly especially if you have kids as it can be congested. There are also some shops that you can cut through. They try to direct you to the third exit which obviously takes you passed all the shops!

the short cut IS the shops, look through the shops as you walk towards the exit, some will have a door at the back, if you cut through you bypass alot of them

Just to ask....we r visiting blue reef in january wanted to find out tipping policy? What is the norm?

Sorry I thought I was on the roll call for my cruise so we won't be sharing a cab, lol. We will be there in February.

Tipping? Of course depends on the experience but figure 15 or 20 percent which would be 10 bucks at Blue Reef. I carried around a pocket full of $1's for tipping in the past but now those are replaced with $5's, a sign of the times.

Make sure you post your experience. Since you will be there just before us it would be interesting/helpful.

Sorry I thought I was on the roll call for my cruise so we won't be sharing a cab, lol. We will be there in February.

Tipping? Of course depends on the experience but figure 15 or 20 percent which would be 10 bucks at Blue Reef. I carried around a pocket full of $1's for tipping in the past but now those are replaced with $5's, a sign of the times.

Make sure you post your experience. Since you will be there just before us it would be interesting/helpful.

Thanks for the response...will certainly post my comments after visiting. Have a great cruise and sorry we won't share that cab after all! [emoji847]

Just booked Blue Reef for my husband and I in January. We'll be sailing on MSC Seaside. My only concern is that the ship gets in at noon and leaves at 6pm. Looks close enough to the port though. We're always up for an adventure.

Just booked Blue Reef for my husband and I in January. We'll be sailing on MSC Seaside. My only concern is that the ship gets in at noon and leaves at 6pm. Looks close enough to the port though. We're always up for an adventure.
According to an email from Jaime at blue reef, he said they are about 9 mins from port

• 1 month later...

Our ship gets in at noon, we will have 8 hours in port so should have plenty of time to enjoy the beach break. Post your experiences like Bubblegummermom is going to do. You can't have too much info.

24 minutes ago, Stmar said:

Our ship gets in at noon, we will have 8 hours in port so should have plenty of time to enjoy the beach break. Post your experiences like Bubblegummermom is going to do. You can't have too much info.

Our ship gets in at 8am and departs at 5 so definitely enough time for me to spend there.

• 2 weeks later...

"I cant tell you that Jaimies is better then Maya Chan since i have never visited Maya Chan, but I can not imagine how Maya Chan could be better then Jaimies"

You'd be surprised 🙂

Try Maya Chan next time.

One thing that instantly pops in to my head is the mess of chairs at Jaimie's.  At Maya Chan, you get your own palapa in a private spot with chairs, day bed, shade, hammock, etc.   It's a WAY better/more private looking spot in a much less commercialized location.  And the service is AT LEAST equal if not better.  They wade out in to the water in full uniform just to offer you a drink, for example.

Just looking at your pictures, the layout and setup at Maya Chan is way better.

Just compare your picture of all the chairs lined up with what you get at Maya Chan:

homepage-bg-1920x1080.jpg

Edited by BNBR

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, BNBR said:

"I cant tell you that Jaimies is better then Maya Chan since i have never visited Maya Chan, but I can not imagine how Maya Chan could be better then Jaimies"

You'd be surprised 🙂

Try Maya Chan next time.

One thing that instantly pops in to my head is the mess of chairs at Jaimie's.  At Maya Chan, you get your own palapa in a private spot with chairs, day bed, shade, hammock, etc.   It's a WAY better/more private looking spot in a much less commercialized location.  And the service is AT LEAST equal if not better.  They wade out in to the water in full uniform just to offer you a drink, for example.

Just looking at your pictures, the layout and setup at Maya Chan is way better.

Just compare your picture of all the chairs lined up with what you get at Maya Chan:

homepage-bg-1920x1080.jpg

there is a grand total of 35 people at Jaimie's on any day

our group had our own server who was only responsible for us.

Jaimie, the owner stopped by every 45 minutes or so to see how we were doing.

the beach food at Jaimie's was literally some of the best food for the entire week, only beaten by the specialty restaurants  

but most importantly, we were traveling with 2 children who have severe celiac disease, to the point that the parents travel with a tester that will detect gluten.for each test the supplies generally costs more then the meal does, but its the only way her kids can eat out.

Jaimie was made aware of the dietary restrictions and made sure that they had options for the children to eat. not only that but the food actually passed the tester, which Is unfortunately is less common then you would think.

I am sure Maya Chan is very nice, but I enjoyed my time at Jaimie's and Jaimie himself, he obviously worked very hard to make sure our day with him was as relaxing as possible and I  will be giving him my business whenever possible .

• 1 month later...

Not the same as Maya Chan at any level.

Took the exit where the excursions were gathering. Security lady tried to direct us the "official way" but I told her we were meeting someone, which was true since we met a cab.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, kajunkroozer said:

Anyone know what time Jaime's closes in the afternoon/evening? We are in port from 1-8 p.m. Want to make sure it is worth it to go there with the time we have.

They are open and the whole Majahual strip has a real happy hour vibe . Certainly ask before you book . They are very good at getting back and answering questions . 

We just went for Spring Break and loved it just as much as you.  The service was 5 star amazing.  I would not hestiate to recommend this place to anyone.  2 adults, 2 kids.  Great day!  Loved that it was a small place and no worries on overcrowding.  It's not like the beach chairs lined up at Topicante...much less crowded and much more shade.

On 7/16/2018 at 2:35 PM, croosieloosie said:

Are you constantly hounded to by things from beach vendors? Just wondering...

They did walk by but never stopped - just walked by and I would wave my hand.  When I was laying down with my shades on no one bothered me at all.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:41 PM, jules815 said:

Plenty of time.  The taxi ride is less than 10 minutes - probably 6.  Cut thru the shops at the port so you can make you way to the taxis.  Taxis are $8 flat and they'll grab you one on your way home for you.  Again, awesome service.