Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:15 PM.
NSW Australia
292 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
So, this is the first I've heard any of this. We are booked on this cruise out of Brisbane as a b2b2b. Did people find out through email or on the grapevine (CC)? We've had no notification from P&O. We thought this would be a great opportunity to spend Australia day in Sydney & see the evening festivities whilst on board. First thing tomorrow morning I'll be on the phone to P&O.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kerri-Ann (posting) & Larry
Our CC name is our nicknames. Doe (Kerri-Ann) & Bucket (Larry)

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all...Helen Keller.

Future cruises
October 19th 2018 - RCCL Ovation of the Seas - 14 day Singapore to Sydney Relocation
March 28th 2019 - Majestic Princess 17 day Brisbane to Hong Kong.

October 31st 2019 - Sapphire Princess 37 day Exotic Mediterranean, Southampton to Singapore
Queensland
7,192 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by doenbucket
So, this is the first I've heard any of this. We are booked on this cruise out of Brisbane as a b2b2b. Did people find out through email or on the grapevine (CC)? We've had no notification from P&O. We thought this would be a great opportunity to spend Australia day in Sydney & see the evening festivities whilst on board. First thing tomorrow morning I'll be on the phone to P&O.
The OP said she received an email from P&O. My son did also.
NSW Australia
292 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by Aus Traveller
The OP said she received an email from P&O. My son did also.
We were wait listed on this cruise & were lucky enough to be offered a cabin about 5 days ago, which we accepted, but we have not received any email advising any changes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Future cruises
October 19th 2018 - RCCL Ovation of the Seas - 14 day Singapore to Sydney Relocation

October 31st 2019 - Sapphire Princess 37 day Exotic Mediterranean, Southampton to Singapore
Queensland
7,192 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
We were wait listed on this cruise & were lucky enough to be offered a cabin about 5 days ago, which we accepted, but we have not received any email advising any changes.
When you booked, the itinerary probably showed that the ship would be anchored in the harbour for the fireworks. It is worth phoning P&O to see if you can also receive the $100 pp on-board credit. Doesn't hurt to ask. I suggest that you mention a "friend" got the OBC (if you need to mention this at all), not Cruise Critic.
NSW Australia
292 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
When you booked, the itinerary probably showed that the ship would be anchored in the harbour for the fireworks. It is worth phoning P&O to see if you can also receive the $100 pp on-board credit. Doesn't hurt to ask. I suggest that you mention a "friend" got the OBC (if you need to mention this at all), not Cruise Critic.
Thanks Aus Traveller, we did believe we would be in the harbour for the evening festivities, that's why we were so excited when we secured a cabin. I will contact P&O tomorrow to discus & will let them know about my "friend" who received OBC. As you said, can't hurt to ask. I imagine they have been inundated with many disappointed passengers & rightly so.
Thanks to datone for sharing this information. I am so grateful I am part of the CC community. So much helpful & important information shared.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Future cruises

Queensland
7,192 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Thanks Aus Traveller, we did believe we would be in the harbour for the evening festivities, that's why we were so excited when we secured a cabin. I will contact P&O tomorrow to discus & will let them know about my "friend" who received OBC. As you said, can't hurt to ask. I imagine they have been inundated with many disappointed passengers & rightly so.
Thanks to datone for sharing this information. I am so grateful I am part of the CC community. So much helpful & important information shared.
I have just spoken to my son. He phoned P&O on Friday and expressed disappointment but didn't hint that they might cancel. He was referred 'up the line' to more senior people but no offer of OBC. He was told someone would phone him back next week.

I note that the OP (Datone) didn't get the offer of $100 OBC on the first phone call. Someone from P&O had to phone her back. I really think that P&O are getting off lightly if they pay some passengers $100 OBC. That is probably only $25 or so out of P&Os pocket if people spend more than they would otherwise. All the best with this.
1 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Yes we are booked on this cruise and we were sooo looking forward to being in Sydney Harbour for the fireworks and just sailing around. We were very disappointed as we have a large group going and this was the reason we picked this cruise. There are now 18 very unhappy people wishing they had chosen a different cruise and maybe a different cruise line.
Canberra Australia
42,444 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by kayemac56
Yes we are booked on this cruise and we were sooo looking forward to being in Sydney Harbour for the fireworks and just sailing around. We were very disappointed as we have a large group going and this was the reason we picked this cruise. There are now 18 very unhappy people wishing they had chosen a different cruise and maybe a different cruise line.
Welcome to Cruise critic, it is a shame for you and your group.

I believe they are offering full refunds if you cancel.
Batehaven, Australia
11,288 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MicCanberra
Seems like some people did pull out of the cruise and I wonder if they got their full refund.
A greedy agent would charge a cancellation fee.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 480 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Gold Coast
10,600 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by NSWP
If so you would spread the word and not use them again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
NSW Australia
292 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
I have just spoken to my son. He phoned P&O on Friday and expressed disappointment but didn't hint that they might cancel. He was referred 'up the line' to more senior people but no offer of OBC. He was told someone would phone him back next week.

I note that the OP (Datone) didn't get the offer of $100 OBC on the first phone call. Someone from P&O had to phone her back. I really think that P&O are getting off lightly if they pay some passengers $100 OBC. That is probably only $25 or so out of P&Os pocket if people spend more than they would otherwise. All the best with this.
I contacted P&O this morning relating my disappointment.The lady I spoke with said she would pass my concerns to Customer Relations & someone would ring me within 7 days. Mmmm I thought.

To my surprise a gentleman contacted me about 1.30pm. He explained the reasons behind the early departure for all P&O ships on Australia day. The Australia Day Council & Sydney Port Authority pulled the plug saying it would be too dangerous to have 3 cruise ships moored during the festivities. I spoke a bit about the reasons for picking this cruise & the dismay we felt. He offered a sincere apology for the change of arrangements. We had a sensible, calm conversation & I was pleasantly surprised when he offered $100 OBC each to compensate for the inconvenience. He also said they were offering full refunds to some passengers.

As loyal Princess/P&O customers I was very pleased with the outcome & the professional manner with which this matter was handled by the P&O representative. So I can only suggest passengers contact P&O direct about this matter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Future cruises

Canberra Australia
42,444 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
I contacted P&O this morning relating my disappointment.The lady I spoke with said she would pass my concerns to Customer Relations & someone would ring me within 7 days. Mmmm I thought.

To my surprise a gentleman contacted me about 1.30pm. He explained the reasons behind the early departure for all P&O ships on Australia day. The Australia Day Council & Sydney Port Authority pulled the plug saying it would be too dangerous to have 3 cruise ships moored during the festivities. I spoke a bit about the reasons for picking this cruise & the dismay we felt. He offered a sincere apology for the change of arrangements. We had a sensible, calm conversation & I was pleasantly surprised when he offered $100 OBC each to compensate for the inconvenience. He also said they were offering full refunds to some passengers.

As loyal Princess/P&O customers I was very pleased with the outcome & the professional manner with which this matter was handled by the P&O representative. So I can only suggest passengers contact P&O direct about this matter.
Good result.
Canberra Australia
42,444 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by NSWP
Originally posted by MMDown Under
If so you would spread the word and not use them again.
Definitely would be the case.
Queensland
7,192 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
I just phoned my son at work. He P&O rang him late this morning and offered $200 per booking. He is happy with that.
Sydney Australia
1,673 Posts
Joined May 2010

So it is" too dangerous" this year but not too dangerous last year, (we were were on one of the three P&O ships they had in the harbour last Australia Day) Sounds like a bit of a cop out to me. The Australia Day Council, you would think, would not make a safety call about cruise ships and the Sydney Port Authority would have been aware of any "danger" and not given permission in the first place.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess
Mediterranean- July 2009
Dawn Princess - Whitsundays October 2010

Rhapsody of the Seas- Sydney-Hawaii April 2011
Radiance of the Seas-Top End Australia February 2012
Reef Endeavour - Yasawa Islands Fiji- May 2012
Oosterdam-Pacific Islands March 2014
Celebrity Solstice-Sydney-Hawaii April 2015
Celebrity Infinity- Panama Canal April/May 2015
Pacific Eden - Australia Day January 2017

Carnival Legend-3 day Sampler November 2017
NSW Australia
292 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by gbenjo
So it is" too dangerous" this year but not too dangerous last year, (we were were on one of the three P&O ships they had in the harbour last Australia Day) Sounds like a bit of a cop out to me. The Australia Day Council, you would think, would not make a safety call about cruise ships and the Sydney Port Authority would have been aware of any "danger" and not given permission in the first place.
Yes, have to agree, major cop out. Someone, somewhere stuffed up big time.
Maybe us folk up north are a dangerous lot.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Future cruises

NSW Australia
292 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
I just phoned my son at work. He P&O rang him late this morning and offered $200 per booking. He is happy with that.
Good outcome all around
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Future cruises

Canberra Australia
42,444 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by gbenjo
Sounds very much like something changed late in the process this year which had them scrambling.