Egypt: Top Rated! Tips, Secrets for Luxor?

TLCOhio

• 4 weeks later...
We are considering a trip to Luxor as we are on the Oceana cruise. After exploring many options and reading reviews, we’ve booked with Ramasside Tours.

Appreciate these above comments and this follow-up. Have heard good feed-back on Ramasside Tours. Will Cypriotcc be on our Nov. 16 sailing on the Nautica from Athens to Dubai?

From Forbes magazine yesterday, they had this headline: Why 2018 Is The Year To Visit Egypt with these highlights: “In January 2018, when I heard tourists were going back after a lull in political unrest, I booked a flight. Tourism in Egypt hit an all-time high in 2010 at 14.7 million visitors. Then, in the throes of the Arab Spring in January 2011, the Egyptian people gathered to demand that President Hosni Mubarak step down after three decades in power. The military took control, until a popular vote elected Mohamed Morsi from the conservative Muslim Brotherhood as president. A second wave of protests ousted Morsi in 2013, and Abdel Fattah el-Sisi was elected president. He has been in power since, and the country has been peaceful. The tourism industry took another hit in 2015, when a chartered Russian plane crashed in the Sinai Peninsula. The following year, tourism fell to its lowest number in years: 4.8 million. But now, three years later, the political situation has stabilized, and visitors are returning to Egypt. There were 8.3 million tourists in 2017, and the 2018 numbers look even more promising.

Also shared as background from this article: "In a move towards greater economic stability, the government allowed the currency to float to market rates in November 2017. In doing so, the Egyptian pound lost more than half its value in the short term. As a result, it's a very affordable time to visit, with five-star hotel rooms costing as little as $200 per night."

Yes, helpful information as we prepare for our upcoming first visit to Egypt. For Luxor, we are considering saying at this location that the Forbes story highlighted: "A more classic option is the historic Sofitel Winter Palace, where Howard Carter announced the discovery of King Tut's Tomb in 1922. The rooms show their age, but having a cocktail in the storied gardens can't be beat."

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fathom/2018/07/21/cairo-egypt-guide-2018/#4b5e968a32d8

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 22,447 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From the Travel Section of London/UK Independent yesterday, they had this headline: What Not to Do in Egypt as a Tourist with this sub-head: No street drinking, drones or PDAs: staying safe in Egypt.

Here are a few key highlights: "Egypt is an Islamic country and modest dress is expected, particularly in rural areas, mosques, souqs (markets) and during the holy month of Ramadan. Women’s clothes should cover the legs and upper arms and men should keep their chests covered. Publicising strongly negative opinions about Egypt or making political comments, including about the President or security forces, can cause trouble with the authorities. Drinking alcohol in the street and anywhere other than a licensed restaurant or bar is not allowed and can lead to arrest. The possession, use or trafficking in illegal drugs is a serious offence and can, even for small amounts, lead to lengthy prison sentences (25 years), life imprisonment or the death penalty. Photography of, or near, military official installations is strictly prohibited - this includes the Suez Canal. Don’t photograph officials without their consent. There are sensitivities about taking photographs of public buildings or infrastructure."

Full story at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/egypt-travel-advice-tips-uk-tourists-rules-laws-lgbt-photography-alcohol-a8465126.html

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 40,426 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 1 month later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail yesterday, they had this headline: Egypt is the fastest growing tourist destination with these highlights: Egypt is the fastest growing tourist destination and France is the most visited country, new UN figures have revealed. Visitor numbers to Egypt jumped 55.1 per cent to 8.6 million in 2017 - a huge turnaround. The number of foreign tourists in Egypt went from 14.7 million in 2010 to 5.2 million in 2016 after the suspension of flights following the downing of a Russian charter jet and the turmoil following the uprising that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak. Egypt attracts tourists to the likes of Giza and Luxor, who come to discover the great pyramids and the Sphinx.

Interesting data and background for the ups, downs, etc., for tourism in Egypt. Looking forward to visiting there for the first time in late November.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-6133745/Egypt-fastest-growing-tourist-destination-France-receives-visitors.html

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 76,430 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From this article, they had this picture from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt. Look nice?:

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-06%20at%208.47.04%20PM_zpsb6unwiyc.png

I would love to return on a land based trip. Still attempting (unsuccessfully, I might add) to convince my brother & SIL (they are concerned about unrest in the area).

Great photo, BTW.

We did a 15 day tour with Gate 1 Tours in Nov. 2010 (the Nov. before the January riots)

I cannot say enough that this was THE trip. We have travelled a lot to quite a few countries but this one - its the one. Our tour was mind-blowing to say the least. It included 2 nights in Cairo then flew to Luxor where we boarded our Nile cruise for a total of 7 nights. Leisurely down to Aswan where we spent 2 nights aboard the ship. We did the optional tour to Abu Simbel which was a major must do for me. Then back to Luxor where we disembarked and bused to Hurghada all inclusive for 2 nights. Its on the Red Sea where my husband and I did an amazing scuba dive. Then flew to Cairo and spent 1 night near airport before flying home.

WE SAW AND EXPERIENCED SO MUCH BUT IN A WONDERFUL WAY. Our guide Ayman was truly remarkable and did many things with us above and beyond the itinerary. We remain friends on Facebook.

Poor and dirty - yes. Beautiful and amazing - yes.

We found the people to be warm and friendly and genuinly happy we were there. They are poor and they are proud. So much history and intrigue - I only remember half (maybe ;))

The only thing I can say is "don't go for the food" You have to be very very careful. They tried very hard in hotels and on ship to please Western style meals but eh - not so much.

Tips: Be respectful. This is their country. While they are poor they are proud of their country and history. Take pictures respectfully. Ask. Most will hope for a small $ if you do. Some will ask outright others just a hand out. As soon as arrive buy Antinal. It is the local med for Mummy Tummy. As careful as you will be - it will happen. Trust me. Its not awful but more of a nuisance. Antinal works. You need an Egyptian med for an Egyptian bug. Cheap and available everywhere. We stayed at Le Meridien in Cairo and I got "it" on the second day. Ice at hotel was told safe - nope. Had a rum and coke with ice and BAM! Hotel had Antinal - $3.00 a box. We bought a second box halfway thru as husband also had experience with MT. 11 in our group and all but one had various experience with it.

Try everything !!!! Sheesha. While I don't smoke it was something unique and well, when in Rome....... Apple flavored was nice.

Bargain when shopping. Start at @ 1/3 what they ask. Work your way up until you are both happy.

Do a falluca ride. Boats with tall sails on the Nile. It will take you back hundreds of years .....

Ride a camel at the pyramids ! You will have a picture that will make all your friends envious.

Take time to soak up Egypt - people watch.

And as for the new museum. I'm sure it will be nice. But I love love loved the old one. Dusty and chaotic. Felt like Indiana Jones. We wandered all over. Saw the mummies, Tuts items and much much more.

Valley of the Kings - its hot in the tombs - especially the ones you go deep into. Even in Nov. We did not have to pay extra for Tuts. It was all included in our tour. We saw Tuts and 3 others. Not all tombs are open at the same time. They rotate so as not to damage with too much tourist traffic. You will be blown away by what they did so long ago for their pharaohs.

Enjoy - we never felt unsafe - altho we had an armed guard with us at pyramids and a large gun on the back of the cruise boat (covered in tarp) See as much as you can. You can rest when you get home :D

PS : More about dress - it appears they may be a bit more strict about dress. I wore capris and short sleeve blouses most of the time BUT I always had either a long sleeve shirt (lightweight) or a scarf to cover for mosques. We did not find that we needed to cover when visiting tourist areas such as temples etc in rural areas and definitely not in Valley of the Kings or Abu Simbel etc etc. Use common sense. PHOTOS - there were a few places we were told no photos. Aswan dam and Abul Simbel (inside) but pretty much everywhere else was a go. Again - when taking photos of people (not in a crowd tho) ASK FIRST. Not sure I would venture to Sharm el Sheik. In a location that is hot spot. Hurghada was on the East side of main coast of Egypt.

Edited by texancruzer

We did a 15 day tour with Gate 1 Tours in Nov. 2010 (the Nov. before the January riots)

I cannot say enough that this was THE trip. It included 2 nights in Cairo then flew to Luxor where we boarded our Nile cruise for a total of 7 nights. Leisurely down to Aswan, then back to Luxor where we disembarked and bused to Hurghada all inclusive for 2 nights. Its on the Red Sea where my husband and I did an amazing scuba dive.

We found the people to be warm and friendly and genuinly happy we were there. They are poor and they are proud. So much history and intrigue - I only remember half (maybe ;))

The only thing I can say is "don't go for the food" You have to be very very careful. They tried very hard in hotels and on ship to please Western style meals but eh - not so much.

Tips: Be respectful. This is their country. While they are poor they are proud of their country and history. Take pictures respectfully. Ask. Most will hope for a small $ if you do. Some will ask outright others just a hand out. Ice at hotel was told safe - nope. Had a rum and coke with ice and BAM! Hotel had Antinal - $3.00 a box. We bought a second box halfway thru as husband also had experience with MT.

Bargain when shopping. Start at @ 1/3 what they ask. Work your way up until you are both happy.

Do a falluca ride. Boats with tall sails on the Nile. It will take you back hundreds of years .....

Valley of the Kings - its hot in the tombs - especially the ones you go deep into. Even in Nov. We did not have to pay extra for Tuts. It was all included in our tour. We saw Tuts and 3 others. Not all tombs are open at the same time. They rotate so as not to damage with too much tourist traffic. You will be blown away by what they did so long ago for their pharaohs.

Enjoy - we never felt unsafe - altho we had an armed guard with us at pyramids and a large gun on the back of the cruise boat (covered in tarp) See as much as you can. You can rest when you get home :D

PS : More about dress - it appears they may be a bit more strict about dress. I wore capris and short sleeve blouses most of the time BUT I always had either a long sleeve shirt (lightweight) or a scarf to cover for mosques. We did not find that we needed to cover when visiting tourist areas such as temples etc in rural areas and definitely not in Valley of the Kings or Abu Simbel etc etc. Use common sense. PHOTOS - there were a few places we were told no photos. Aswan dam and Abul Simbel (inside) but pretty much everywhere else was a go. Again - when taking photos of people (not in a crowd tho) ASK FIRST.

Appreciate so very much these great details, suggestions and follow-ups. These are wonderful insights and background. I will copy and share these excellent info items on our cruise roll call for others on the upcoming Athens to Dubai sailing with two days at Luxor. Very helpful and beneficial.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 211,777 views for this posting.

Appreciate so very much these great details, suggestions and follow-ups. These are wonderful insights and background. I will copy and share these excellent info items on our cruise roll call for others on the upcoming Athens to Dubai sailing with two days at Luxor. Very helpful and beneficial.

You're welcome. Sorry - did not realize that only Luxor will be visited. Luxor was really nice. We really enjoyed Karnak and the Valley of the Kings (Queens - Hatshepsuts temple) but also enjoyed a few other small things we did. We visited an alabaster place near Valley of the Kings and watched them carve into beautiful items. Went to the bazaar twice - once at night. Different at night. Very cool. Also one afternoon the Luxor museum. Very nice - small but everything well marked - even in English. All I can think of right now. Hope it helps.

Luxor was really nice. We really enjoyed Karnak and the Valley of the Kings (Queens - Hatshepsuts temple) but also enjoyed a few other small things we did. We visited an alabaster place near Valley of the Kings and watched them carve into beautiful items. Went to the bazaar twice - once at night. Different at night. Very cool. Also one afternoon the Luxor museum. Very nice - small but everything well marked - even in English. Hope it helps.

Appreciate this additional background information and the helpful follow-up from texancruzer. Will share this added background on our roll call to benefit those added travelers on our cruise. Keep up the great sharing!! Always fun learning more as we plan for this exciting travel opportunity.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 230,859 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate all the invaluabe info posted on this thread! I do have a question maybe someone can aanswer: When taking the domestic flight from Cairo to Luxor to board the ship to cruise the Nile River, what were your luggage restrictions, if any? Thank You.

I don't remember it being any different than the weight for the international flight (seems like it was 50 lbs) We did a land tour (Gate 1) and flew from JFK to Cairo on Egypt Air (really nice flight !) We each had 1 checked bag and 1 carryon. The plane from Cairo to Luxor was a large plane but don't remember if it was EgyptAir or not. Probably but not 100%.

Appreciate all the invaluabe info posted on this thread! I do have a question maybe someone can aanswer: When taking the domestic flight from Cairo to Luxor to board the ship to cruise the Nile River, what were your luggage restrictions, if any? Thank You.

YES, good question and attention to important details. Much does depend on the airline you will be using. Keep up the great research and sharing on this thread. Excellent follow-ups from texancruzer.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 36,068 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From Forbes Magazine yesterday, they had this headline: Everything You Need To Know To Plan An Incredible Trip To Egypt with these highlights: “The real question becomes how to tackle the southern part of the country. A Nile experience is obviously one that everyone wants to have, but people don’t necessarily know how to go about doing it. The Nile is the longest river in the world, and one of only a few rivers that flows from south to north. Think of it as the mega-highway of Egypt, one that’s been in use for millennia. It’s a must-see.

For Luxor, they shared: "Luxor is the powerhouse of Egypt when it comes to antiquities: there’s the Karnak Temple, the Valley of the Kings, and the tomb of Nefertari, which was only recently opened to the public by Egypt’s supreme council of antiquities. I especially love incorporating a bicycle ride along the western bank of the Nile through the villages and sugar cane farms whenever I visit."

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fathom/2018/09/29/how-to-plan-egypt-vacation/#f71200142df9

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 42,746 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

Here are three of the visuals featured in this Forbes profile. This includes a couple of examples of boats along the famous Nile, plus the middle picture from Medinet Habu, the temple of Ramesses III, in Luxor.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-30%20at%2010.18.18%20AM_zpskraflpk6.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-30%20at%2010.18.37%20AM_zpsi69yryti.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-30%20at%2010.17.54%20AM_zpsuxk5ghyu.png

Just did a search for flights from Cairo to Luxor. Only 2 airlines (Egyptair and Nile Air) were listed. I don't believe there are any non Egyptian airlines that fly intra-country.

Also - take a falucca ride if you can..... and take one of the smaller faluccas. It will take you back in time as you glide along the Nile with the sails up. Very relaxing. We had some young kids on makeshift floats come up near the boat and sing, in English, to us .... and our captain rolled out a carpet with lots of interesting pieces of jewelry (beaded etc.) that were very cheap - but unique and fun. I bought a bunch ! LOL Made his day :)

Gosh - its hard to begin to tell you all the neat tidbits of our trip. We only had 11 in our tour (Gate 1) and a superb guide that went above and beyond doing lots of extra stuff with us not on the "itinerary" Egypt will fascinate and capture your heart - I promise !

Take a falucca ride if you can..... and take one of the smaller faluccas. It will take you back in time as you glide along the Nile with the sails up. Very relaxing. We had some young kids on makeshift floats come up near the boat and sing, in English, to us .... and our captain rolled out a carpet with lots of interesting pieces of jewelry (beaded etc.) that were very cheap - but unique and fun. I bought a bunch ! LOL Made his day :) Gosh - its hard to begin to tell you all the neat tidbits of our trip. We only had 11 in our tour (Gate 1) and a superb guide that went above and beyond doing lots of extra stuff with us not on the "itinerary" Egypt will fascinate and capture your heart - I promise !

Super appreciate this great, above follow-up with more background and info related to Egypt. Really interesting in learning more about these felucca boats. Will share this on our roll-call site. From Wikipedia, they note: "A felucca is a traditional wooden sailing boat used in protected waters of the Red Sea and eastern Mediterranean, in Egypt and Sudan (particularly along the Nile). Its rig consists of one or two lateen sails. Feluccas are still in active use as a means of transport in Nile-adjacent cities like Aswan or Luxor. They are especially popular among tourists who can enjoy a quieter and calmer mood than motorboats have to offer."

More at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felucca

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 241,288 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From Reader's Digest magazine four days ago, they had this story about Egypt headlined: Fastest Growing Tourist Destination in the World with these highlights: The Middle Eastern nation just topped the list of the world’s fastest growing tourist destinations, Forbes reported. According to the United Nations World Tourism Organization’s most recent report, Egypt experienced 55.1 percent growth in the number of visitors from 2016 to 2017. Known as the Cradle of Civilization, Egypt has also become a destination for serious windsurfers and scuba divers who explore its coral reefs.

As reported earlier, part of this for Egypt is a "bounce-back" after: "Travelers to Egypt hit a high point in 2010 with 14.7 million visitors—beating the number of tourists that visited Paris that year. But tourism took a hit in 2011, after a revolution that toppled the government of longtime leader Hosni Mubarak, and again in 2015, when a Russian airliner was shot down over the Sinai Peninsula. But since Abdel Fattah El-Sisi was elected president in 2013, Egypt has been peaceful. And more people are visiting the country again."

Full story at:

https://www.rd.com/advice/travel/fastest-growing-tourist-destination-in-world/

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 25,449 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Again, thanks to everyone who has contributed a wealth of Egypt travel info here! I am sort of a last minute "fill-in" to take this trip and although I'm quite organized, I sincerely appreciate your knowledge as I pull this trip of a lifetime together.

Will return home on the 16th and depart for Barcelona on my transatlantic cruise on the Symphony Of the Seas ten days later.

Keep sharing and keep traveling!

Donna

Again, thanks to everyone who has contributed a wealth of Egypt travel info here! I am sort of a last minute "fill-in" to take this trip and although I'm quite organized, I sincerely appreciate your knowledge as I pull this trip of a lifetime together.

Will return home on the 16th and depart for Barcelona on my transatlantic cruise on the Symphony Of the Seas ten days later. Keep sharing and keep traveling! Donna

Appreciate, Donna, your nice follow-up and comments. Good luck with your continued research and planning. Much to consider when preparing for a first visit to Egypt.

From National Geographic of Australia in mid September, they had this headline: Captivating Photos of Egypt with these highlights: Egypt may be one of the world’s longest-loved tourist destinations. Countless travelers—from the ancient Greeks and Romans to Medieval pilgrims, 19th-century Egyptologists and modern-day Instagrammers—have been pulled to this northeastern corner of Africa to see, and learn about, its legendary wonders for themselves. Egypt has more than its fair share of iconic sights, including the sand-covered tombs of the Valley of Kings. But behind those classic and instantly recognisable images are thousands more that tell lesser-known stories about this multi-layered country.

Full story and pictures are at:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/travel/25-captivating-photos-of-egypt.aspx

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 213,405 views for this posting.

First, are two pictures from the Sharm El Sheik area, including a unique perspective showing some of the colorful underwater areas near the coast. Second shows a line of camel in the Sinai Desert near Sharm El Sheik. The other two pictures have different views/angles related to the camels of Egypt. Could only a mother love the face of a camel?:

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-07%20at%203.31.50%20PM%201_zpsvx0rcft9.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-07%20at%203.30.21%20PM%203_zps7jnqteim.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-07%20at%203.30.04%20PM%202_zpsj4uuvlz5.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-07%20at%203.31.04%20PM%204_zpsjgqo2avj.jpg

• Like 1

Terry - Mike and I did a wonderful dive in the Red Sea at Hurghada. Very different from the Caribbean (we have dove all over it !) Definitely wasn't going to go all that way and stay 2 nights and NOT dive !!!!

I have a great pic of us on camels in front of the pyramids and another of us on a camel trek into the desert in Morocco. Guess I should think about a desert visit will in the UAE next March ?? I should start a collection maybe?

Terry - Mike and I did a wonderful dive in the Red Sea at Hurghada. Very different from the Caribbean (we have dove all over it !) Definitely wasn't going to go all that way and stay 2 nights and NOT dive !!!! I have a great pic of us on camels in front of the pyramids and another of us on a camel trek into the desert in Morocco. Guess I should think about a desert visit will in the UAE next March ?? I should start a collection maybe?

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups from the very helpful texancruzer. Keep it coming!! Great sharing. We are thinking about doing a desert visit while staying in Dubai at the end of our Athens to UAE cruise.

From the below website in late September, they had this headline: Luxor and Ancient Thebes: The Complete Guide with these highlights: One of Egypt's most important and best-loved ancient sights, Luxor is commonly referred to as the world's greatest open-air museum. The modern city of Luxor is built on and around the site of the ancient city of Thebes, which historians estimate to have been inhabited since 3,200 BC. It is also home to the Karnak temple complex, which served as the main place of worship for the Thebans. Together, the three sites have been attracting tourists since the Greco-Roman times, all of them drawn by the area's incredible collection of ancient temples and monuments.

Very interesting summary for the amazing history here. Here is more: "Luxor's history pre-dates the modern city and is inextricably woven with that of Thebes, the legendary metropolis known to the ancient Egyptians as Waset. Thebes reached the height of its splendor and influence in the period from 1,550 - 1,050 BC. At this time, it served as the capital of a newly unified Egypt and became known as a center of economy, art, and architecture associated with the Egyptian god Amun."

Full story at:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/travel-guide-to-luxor-egypt-1454280

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 37,218 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here is one of the visuals they used to illustrate this story on Luxor, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-08%20at%2012.02.05%20PM_zpsa6jnl1ow.png

• 4 weeks later...

We visited Safaga for one day from our cruise ship and used Ramses (Ramasside) Tours. We were picked up at the port and went first to Luxor and visited the Temple of Karnak (interesting but very crowded!) and also had lunch in a lovely local restaurant overlooking the Temple of Luxor and the Nile. We then got a boat across the river where we met our driver who took us to the Valley of the Kings. We paid the extra money to go into Tutankhamen’s tomb and were glad we did, but we wished we had also paid the additional price to take photos as the paintings and hieroglyphics in the tombs were colourful and fascinating. We could picture Howard Carter and Lord Carnavon in those tombs all those years ago! It was very hot but not very crowded as we beat the ship’s tour buses there. Then we visited Queen Hatshepsut’s Temple which was impressive, with good views over the Nile Valley. Our last stop was the Colossi of Memnon. We found it staggering to think of the huge stones and columns etc being transported with no mechanical aids or modern machinery. Our guide was very good and gave us a lot of interesting information. There was a lot of driving involved but it was worth every minute. We were so pleased that we took a private tour instead of a ship’s tour as it’s much better not to be in a big tour group and to be able to do things at your own pace.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 5:24 PM, texancruzer said:

I cannot say enough that this was THE trip. We have travelled a lot to quite a few countries but this one - its the one. Our tour was mind-blowing to say the least. It included 2 nights in Cairo then flew to Luxor where we boarded our Nile cruise for a total of 7 nights. Leisurely down to Aswan where we spent 2 nights aboard the ship. We did the optional tour to Abu Simbel which was a major must do for me. Then back to Luxor where we disembarked and bused to Hurghada all inclusive for 2 nights. Its on the Red Sea where my husband and I did an amazing scuba dive. Then flew to Cairo and spent 1 night near airport before flying home.

WE SAW AND EXPERIENCED SO MUCH BUT IN A WONDERFUL WAY. Our guide Ayman was truly remarkable and did many things with us above and beyond the itinerary. We remain friends on Facebook.

Tips: Be respectful. This is their country. While they are poor they are proud of their country and history. Take pictures respectfully. Ask. Most will hope for a small $ if you do. Some will ask outright others just a hand out. As soon as arrive buy Antinal. It is the local med for Mummy Tummy. As careful as you will be - it will happen. Trust me. Its not awful but more of a nuisance. Antinal works. You need an Egyptian med for an Egyptian bug. Cheap and available everywhere. We stayed at Le Meridien in Cairo and I got "it" on the second day. Ice at hotel was told safe - nope. Had a rum and coke with ice and BAM! Hotel had Antinal - $3.00 a box. We bought a second box halfway thru as husband also had experience with MT. 11 in our group and all but one had various experience with it.

Try everything !!!! Sheesha. While I don't smoke it was something unique and well, when in Rome....... Apple flavored was nice.

Ride a camel at the pyramids ! You will have a picture that will make all your friends envious.

And as for the new museum. I'm sure it will be nice. But I love love loved the old one. Dusty and chaotic. Felt like Indiana Jones. We wandered all over. Saw the mummies, Tuts items and much much more.

Enjoy - we never felt unsafe - altho we had an armed guard with us at pyramids and a large gun on the back of the cruise boat (covered in tarp) See as much as you can. You can rest when you get home 😄

PS : More about dress - it appears they may be a bit more strict about dress. I wore capris and short sleeve blouses most of the time BUT I always had either a long sleeve shirt (lightweight) or a scarf to cover for mosques. We did not find that we needed to cover when visiting tourist areas such as temples etc in rural areas and definitely not in Valley of the Kings or Abu Simbel etc etc. Use common sense. PHOTOS - there were a few places we were told no photos. Aswan dam and Abul Simbel (inside) but pretty much everywhere else was a go. Again - when taking photos of people (not in a crowd tho) ASK FIRST. Not sure I would venture to Sharm el Sheik. In a location that is hot spot. Hurghada was on the East side of main coast of Egypt.

Appreciate very much these great details.

Thank you 

• 2 months later...

Appreciate these above great comments and follow-ups related to Luxor and Egypt.  How did our visit there in late 2018 work out?  Below is a link to my full live/blog from this wonderful "adventure"!!

I ended up having about 800 pictures to review and check from our two days going to Luxor, seeing key sights there, etc.  Below is only a quick "sampling" to prove that we had excellent experiences from this exciting overnight touring there in this famous and historic area.  More pictures to follow!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is just a quick six samples from our two days in going to Luxor and coming back.  Fun and interesting?.  This includes from the outdoor temples, plus when visiting in the famed Valley of the Kings.  And, also the driving from the Red Sea port to Luxor allowed many sights of daily life in these parts of Egypt.:

1663573711_DSC_87826.jpg.7de67f27ec14c9440a9c14dcf9bde4f4.jpg

1873136445_DSC_85835.jpg.7237c30574b555476042005f404e81d5.jpg

989778941_DSC_84504.jpg.8fe94a2b131d4344dc24c972287213a6.jpg

836433606_DSC_84183.jpg.b1965064506e971de7513370b951bca9.jpg

157156924_DSC_83722.jpg.f2a0d958fdc12ab816d83f780a03b3d1.jpg

1819753028_DSC_83021.jpg.0922cd819380967f910dfc79659207d3.jpg

• Like 1

Below are some of the visuals and sights as we traveled from the Red Sea port to Luxor.  Many interesting views and samplings as we made this journey.  glad that we did an overnight stay in Luxor.  To go over to Luxor and back all in one day would short-change the greatness in this historic Nile River town. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,939 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Getting from our port city of Safaga on the Red Sea required some time and patience.  It is about a three and a half hour journey.  As shown below, we initially see mainly desert and mountains.  There are a number of security check-points along this four-lane highway.  The third picture shows an example of the mini-market set-ups as we are neared the greenbelt, more-populated areas and in approaching closer to Luxor.:

1391115788_DSC_81431.jpg.62a15ba7ea57f44ed74f021939709acb.jpg

68758148_DSC_81522.jpg.44af9768ee363f634353f5e97e1aec28.jpg

1138936057_DSC_81793.jpg.90b15bc3c220b9c704515fefec4d5a73.jpg

As we were getting closer to Luxor, we entered the "Green Valley" where they benefit from a canal from the Nile providing water to grow a wide variety of crops, fruits, grasses, etc., in this more-populated area.  First below shows one of the cute Tuk-Tuk's used for transportation among the various villages here.  Lots of grasses raised here.  This includes big sugar cane production.  Later you can see examples of this water-supplying canal, the colorful floral plants along the roadway, one of the many mule-powered vehicles we observed, etc., etc.  This was a good introduction for current life in this part of Egypt.:

1177404686_DSC_82004.jpg.82c18d7748481d20def604e7b1bdf5a1.jpg

601139510_DSC_82435.jpg.f4796109302b86a1c56a57ad9bce9294.jpg

861447798_DSC_82937.jpg.9f6c97f5be547fa1df8d59cbab635213.jpg

As we enter Luxor, this visual shows more of the urban build-up and more congestion in this city area.:

1494267167_DSC_83038.jpg.bff8bc3cbbf918183817241755609d93.jpg

Here is that view as we are seeing and crossing the Nile River for the first time.  The Nile is the world's longest river and fairly wide at this point in Luxor. At 4132 miles long, the Niles supports millions of people with its fresh water, transportation connections, food production, etc. Historically for thousands of years, the Nile has been the "life blood" of Egypt.:

2139683090_DSC_82876.jpg.756f8867cb95e0fc46b5fc32c4e45cf7.jpg

Here was the morning sunrise view from our third-floor balcony at the Sofitel Winter Palace Hotel in Luxor during our overnight stay in this historic town.  Look like a nice day?  YES!!:

IMG_3170.thumb.jpg.5e17382115778421c2cf1ff6e88b4121.jpg