5 Reasons to book a balcony...

Cabin Selection Tips
Help on how to choose a cabin on a cruise ship.

How To Choose A Cabin from Cruise Critic
Offer up your opinions on selecting the best cabin.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:19 AM.
3,579 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by DeesEscape
Hi Big Al.

Okay...so I called RCCL to inquire as to the cost of upgrading to a JS (they have about 10 left unsold and only 2 on the hump - floors 6 and 8). I was quoted a $3,500 cost to upgrade. A bit too much for our budget. Any other suggestions?
Wow- $3500!!! INSANE...wait until your final payment day & inquire then, if still too $$, try 1-2 weeks before sailing and see 1) if any JS's are left ( you can do this W/O calling RCI, just go on their website & make pretend you are looking for a JS now..) and 2) what is the price now XX days before sailing..BTW,I don't like the cabins on deck 6 because they are RIGHT above the Royal Promenade, and as a light sleeper, I can hear the noise & music from the parades & 70's Retro night there, so if you/SO are also a light sleeper, avoid deck 6 cabins..hope this helps a bit..

Big Al
120 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by big al
Wow- $3500!!! INSANE...wait until your final payment day & inquire then, if still too $$, try 1-2 weeks before sailing and see 1) if any JS's are left ( you can do this W/O calling RCI, just go on their website & make pretend you are looking for a JS now..) and 2) what is the price now XX days before sailing..BTW,I don't like the cabins on deck 6 because they are RIGHT above the Royal Promenade, and as a light sleeper, I can hear the noise & music from the parades & 70's Retro night there, so if you/SO are also a light sleeper, avoid deck 6 cabins..hope this helps a bit..

Big Al
Yes - insanity at a whole new level. LOL

I only found one JS hump cabin that I like which is on Deck 8 right behind 150(thanks for the heads up about Deck 6). The remaining JS come with connecting rooms which I'm not interested in. Also tried the mock booking and found that they have approximately 13 JS left total. Hopefully I will get lucky and the prices will come down after final payment which is October 20th. If not, I will still be thrilled with my Deck 7 Hump There is no such thing as a bad balcony!

Thank you again for all your great advice.
3,579 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Yes - insanity at a whole new level. LOL

I only found one JS hump cabin that I like which is on Deck 8 right behind 150(thanks for the heads up about Deck 6). The remaining JS come with connecting rooms which I'm not interested in. Also tried the mock booking and found that they have approximately 13 JS left total. Hopefully I will get lucky and the prices will come down after final payment which is October 20th. If not, I will still be thrilled with my Deck 7 Hump There is no such thing as a bad balcony!

Thank you again for all your great advice.
You are welcome & keep me posted on here after 10/20...good luck!
3,579 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by Cruisinforsanity
What is the hump cabin?
On some ships there is kind of a "bump" or "hump" that sticks out a bit- more than the others, and therefore the views from there are better..you have unobstructed views to your left & right ...they also sometimes are slightly bigger in balcony size..you can find these "hump" cabins on certain ships by RCI, Carnival, NCL, MSC & Celebrity..Disney & HAL tend have no or very few hump cabins...the 2 new Princess ships, Royal & Regal, have a few hump cabins on each deck...hope this helps...

Big Al
Bloomfield, Connecticut
45 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
This upcoming cruise to the Baltic next summer is only our second cruise. We were in a cabin with an unobstructed ocean view with Holland-America, and while the view was adequate, we spent most of our time in different parts of the ship (Maasdam) where we had great views. Our cabin was just above the waterline, and our view was ok, but our deck (5) was the lowest they had for passengers (below were crew quarters), and I think that a higher deck with a bigger view would be nice. So, I took Big Al's advice and booked a balcony cabin on deck 8 of the Marina-Oceania Lines.--(Of course for the added price I had to put off my appendix transplant operation...)

Any cabin advice would be most welcomed and if anyone has traveled to the Baltic (Copenhagen->St. Petersburg) or sailed on the Marina, I'd like to hear.
3,579 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by williebegoode
This upcoming cruise to the Baltic next summer is only our second cruise. We were in a cabin with an unobstructed ocean view with Holland-America, and while the view was adequate, we spent most of our time in different parts of the ship (Maasdam) where we had great views. Our cabin was just above the waterline, and our view was ok, but our deck (5) was the lowest they had for passengers (below were crew quarters), and I think that a higher deck with a bigger view would be nice. So, I took Big Al's advice and booked a balcony cabin on deck 8 of the Marina-Oceania Lines.--(Of course for the added price I had to put off my appendix transplant operation...)

Any cabin advice would be most welcomed and if anyone has traveled to the Baltic (Copenhagen->St. Petersburg) or sailed on the Marina, I'd like to hear.
Cabins on deck 8 are 242 SF ( very nice & spacious!), balcony is 40 SF ( a tad small, but OK..)..lovely ship with amazing food & service..good choice!!

Big Al
Bloomfield, Connecticut
45 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Thanks again Big Al,

The room sounds roomy, but I did not know the size of the balcony (40 sqft). Where is that information found? Is it part of the cabin description?
3,579 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by williebegoode
Thanks again Big Al,

The room sounds roomy, but I did not know the size of the balcony (40 sqft). Where is that information found? Is it part of the cabin description?
I use cruisedeckplans.com to get info on ships I don't know..many I already know the dimensions since I'm a cruise agent....just choose the cruise line, ship, then the cabin categories are on the left..choose the deck & see your cabin..great site!

Big Al
120 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Hey Big Al! I see you're getting ready for your next adventure on AOS! Yay for you.

As for me...I have a balcony question and you are my go to guy for the answer.

What is you advice if I was thinking about moving from my center hump cabin (7600) to the forward angled hump cabin (7592) which is still available after final payment due date?

Still can't afford to snag a JS yet but I'm still keeping an eye out. Thanks.
3,579 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Hey Big Al! I see you're getting ready for your next adventure on AOS! Yay for you.

As for me...I have a balcony question and you are my go to guy for the answer.

What is you advice if I was thinking about moving from my center hump cabin (7600) to the forward angled hump cabin (7592) which is still available after final payment due date?

Still can't afford to snag a JS yet but I'm still keeping an eye out. Thanks.
Yes, I am getting excited now..only 4 weeks from this Saturday...Personally, I still like your 7600 cabin a bit more...sticks out a bit more so you will have TOTALLY unobstructed views to the aft & forward, whereas 7592 will be fine looking forward, but will have cabins 7594, 96, 98 & 600 kinda blocking the view just a bit...any reason you might wanna change? Also don't forget to ask how much for a JS just in case it has gone down...

Big Al
120 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Yes, I am getting excited now..only 4 weeks from this Saturday...Personally, I still like your 7600 cabin a bit more...sticks out a bit more so you will have TOTALLY unobstructed views to the aft & forward, whereas 7592 will be fine looking forward, but will have cabins 7594, 96, 98 & 600 kinda blocking the view just a bit...any reason you might wanna change? Also don't forget to ask how much for a JS just in case it has gone down...

Big Al
Thanks for the input! I was reading somewhere on here the other night about how the best balconies were the forward or aft hump cabins which got me to thinking aka I'm just doing too much! LOL

The JS have come down (according to the website) but they aren't down enough for my tastes. I do see where they have a JS hump on deck 11 that looks interesting but, again, not worth the extra cost at this point especially since I initially did book the cabin, deck and category I wanted. So appreciate the advice. Have a wonderful and safe trip. Got balcony? Hahaha
3,579 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Thanks for the input! I was reading somewhere on here the other night about how the best balconies were the forward or aft hump cabins which got me to thinking aka I'm just doing too much! LOL

The JS have come down (according to the website) but they aren't down enough for my tastes. I do see where they have a JS hump on deck 11 that looks interesting but, again, not worth the extra cost at this point especially since I initially did book the cabin, deck and category I wanted. So appreciate the advice. Have a wonderful and safe trip. Got balcony? Hahaha
Just for the record, we had an aft ( all the way aft) balcony on the Adventure Of The Seas and Navigator Of The Seas, and those balconies are around 110-120 SF..very deep..there is a little metal that hangs down a bit & some don't like that , but views are amazing..There are TWO lounge chairs back there, right up your alley!
You should always TRY at least once an aft balcony...and lol about the balcony on my upcoming AOS!! I will write my report when I get back, so look for it!

Big Al
120 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Just for the record, we had an aft ( all the way aft) balcony on the Adventure Of The Seas and Navigator Of The Seas, and those balconies are around 110-120 SF..very deep..there is a little metal that hangs down a bit & some don't like that , but views are amazing..There are TWO lounge chairs back there, right up your alley!
You should always TRY at least once an aft balcony...and lol about the balcony on my upcoming AOS!! I will write my report when I get back, so look for it!

Big Al
Oh I'm going to be looking for that review mister so don't let us down! Thanks for all the great help. I need to become a cruise agent because it has been nothing less than a blast planning this vacation although I have planned all of those in the past (except the very first one) and at one point did work for a travel agency.

What is the trick to securing an aft balcony because they seem harder to acquire than a hump cabin. The aft die-hards do not mess around when it comes to booking those cabins so what's the secret?
3,579 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Oh I'm going to be looking for that review mister so don't let us down! Thanks for all the great help. I need to become a cruise agent because it has been nothing less than a blast planning this vacation although I have planned all of those in the past (except the very first one) and at one point did work for a travel agency.

What is the trick to securing an aft balcony because they seem harder to acquire than a hump cabin. The aft die-hards do not mess around when it comes to booking those cabins so what's the secret?
You are correct about the aft balconies going first..trick is to book as far ahead as you can..18 months out sometimes..just put the deposit on it...I am planning a 2017 cruise already and will put a deposit down ASAP to get best cabins...CORNER afts also go fast...they are really cool because you are on the corner with sometimes a wrap- around balcony...wow!!!

Alan
Kansas City, MO
5 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
On my first cruise in 2006, my husband booked us a balcony suite for our honeymoon.
O! M! G!
Amazing room...spoiled for life.
We took another cruise shortly after to join a friend who was getting married on-ship and booked an OV to save a little money. My hubby walks into the room to see me literally sitting in the window well with my forehead pressed to the glass.
He said, "What are you doing?"
I replied, "I'm PRETENDING I have a balcony!"
Since then, we've only booked balconies! I am an introvert and sometimes the craziness on the Lido deck wears me out. I need to have my private space to enjoy the sea!
Next adventure is a Cove Balcony on the Carnival Breeze in June 2016...so excited!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL IMAGINATION - 2006
CARNIVAL CELEBRATION - 2007
CARNIVAL TRIUMPH (pre-engine fire) - 2009
3,579 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by ksuathena
On my first cruise in 2006, my husband booked us a balcony suite for our honeymoon.
O! M! G!
Amazing room...spoiled for life.
We took another cruise shortly after to join a friend who was getting married on-ship and booked an OV to save a little money. My hubby walks into the room to see me literally sitting in the window well with my forehead pressed to the glass.
He said, "What are you doing?"
I replied, "I'm PRETENDING I have a balcony!"
Since then, we've only booked balconies! I am an introvert and sometimes the craziness on the Lido deck wears me out. I need to have my private space to enjoy the sea!
Next adventure is a Cove Balcony on the Carnival Breeze in June 2016...so excited!
Another reason I tell people- a balcony does give that private space outside you don't get in an inside or OV ( window) cabin..cove balconies are very close to the water, but they are tight..just a fair warning..thanks for your post & thoughts, and you should like the Breeze ( other than no Caribbean music at the pool which is a must for me on a cruise..)

Big Al
Kansas City, MO
5 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
I got headphones! I can make my own pool music!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL IMAGINATION - 2006
CARNIVAL CELEBRATION - 2007
CARNIVAL TRIUMPH (pre-engine fire) - 2009