Wheelchair use on Ventura

MarkCheshire

I am taking my mother on the Ventura, 8th October (Southampton to, Portugal & Spain – 12 nights). She is a wheelchair user – although not confined to the wheelchair (manual chair, not electric chair or scooter). Can walk short distances with a stick, if she takes her time. Doesn’t need chair in cabin (has her own double cabin/single use – foldable chair will fit incomfortably).

Last time I took her away we didn’t need to take the chair…but time moves on, and this is the first experience we have of taking a chair on board.

P&O have been excellent in providing details of the support they provide – but that’s no substitute for feedback from other customers.

So has anyone got any good or bad experience of wheelchair use on Ventura; any tips; anything we should watch out for?

She is really looking forward to the cruise (so am I !) and the more we can plan the better, so we’re ready for everything!

Thanks in advance

My wife has been using a wheelchair now for 8 years and we have enjoyed several cruises on Ventura and Azura.

Both ships offer fairly easy access to all areas, but access onto the prom deck is best done via the midship doors where one is automatic, access onto the lido deck and sun deck are both via auto doors, although there is a wheelchair lift from deck 16 up to deck 17, in 7 years we have never seen it operational.

Wheelchair access at the ports is also good and there will be staff there to help you on and off, deck 4 forward is normally the wheelchair gangway, but the ramps have rather silly triangular metal treads which can and do cause problems for the front castors, despite repeated comments to P&O they have not yet bothered to remove them.

If your mother is only a part time wheelchair user she will have no problems in the dining rooms or buffet, where they will store the chair at the entrance or just inside.

There are reserved wheelchair spaces in the theatre at the back on deck 7 or aisle seats at the front on deck 6, but she may not need to use these.

The main problem you will encounter is lift access which at busy times can lead to waits, after the muster being the worst, and returning from ashore at peak times. You might also find problems with some lift passengers who stick firmly to the back of the lift as you try to enter a part full lift, the lifts are only deep enough to take the chair and the carer pushing it, so you will regularly need to ask them to move aside to make room for you.

But overall we find cruising the best type of overseas holiday for a wheelchair user.

• 2 months later...

Just seen your post Mark. One useful tip, go to your muster station at least half an hour before the drill.

We waited until called and waited half an hour as all the lifts were full.

We weren’t very popular when we turned up so late for our Muster.

If you are doing excursions be aware that most places have cobbled streets and pavements making it hard work for the pusher and uncomfortable for the sitter. I’ve hired a power chair this time. Don’t t know how I’ll get on as I’ve never used one before, only a manual.