Crystal Low-Water-Level Schedule Changes/Cancellations

bizinsider

The latest: We made it to Bratislava and will be bussed to Budapest in the morning for the overnight. The ship is split into two hotels: The Intercontinental and the Kempinski. We and many others have arranged to stay an additional night in Budapest; we will take a train back later in the day on the day before departure.

Because of the change, Crystal is compensating passengers $50 for an additional meal in Budapest plus $250 per person toward a future cruise.

Our only quibble is that we would have liked Crystal to allow us to use our shipboard credit for travel back to the ship – and/or even to pay for part of our hotel room. But it is a mere quibble.

The destinations staff and the tireless concierge Andreea have had a ton to juggle and have gone out of their way to help (including helping us with train reservations, if we asked) and yet somehow managed to keep their sanity and smiles.

We learned first hand that this is sometimes an hour-by-hour decision process, based on water levels – not even day-by-day. Crystal did its best in a difficult situation.

The crew has been nothing short of exceptional.

This was our first river cruise; not sure we'll do another. But not because of anything Crystal didn't do right; just because we prefer an ocean cruise. This was an efficient way to hit a bunch of places we wouldn't have ordinarily seen: Prague (pre-cruise), Vienna (don't miss the fine art museum (Crystal provided a great guide, small group - I can't stress how spectacular this was), the summer palace (the gardens are a must see plus we went late enough in the day to have much of the palace to ourselves) and now onward to Budapest.

Enjoy your trip. You can't control or predict the weather (on any trip) or water levels (on this one.) You just have to roll with it.

Herb

The latest: We made it to Bratislava and will be bussed to Budapest in the morning for the overnight. The ship is split into two hotels: The Intercontinental and the Kempinski. We and many others have arranged to stay an additional night in Budapest; we will take a train back later in the day on the day before departure.

Because of the change, Crystal is compensating passengers $50 for an additional meal in Budapest plus $250 per person toward a future cruise.

Our only quibble is that we would have liked Crystal to allow us to use our shipboard credit for travel back to the ship – and/or even to pay for part of our hotel room. But it is a mere quibble.

The destinations staff and the tireless concierge Andreea have had a ton to juggle and have gone out of their way to help (including helping us with train reservations, if we asked) and yet somehow managed to keep their sanity and smiles.

We learned first hand that this is sometimes an hour-by-hour decision process, based on water levels – not even day-by-day. Crystal did its best in a difficult situation.

This was our first river cruise; not sure we'll do another. But not because of anything Crystal didn't do right; just because we prefer an ocean cruise. This was an efficient way to hit a bunch of places we wouldn't have ordinarily seen: Prague (pre-cruise), Vienna (don't miss the fine art museum (Crystal provided a great guide, small group - I can't stress how spectacular this was), the summer palace (the gardens are a must see plus we went late enough in the day to have much of the palace to ourselves) and now onward to Budapest.

Enjoy your trip. You can't control or predict the weather (on any trip) or water levels (on this one.) You just have to roll with it.

Herb

Thank you so much for all of this - very much appreciated.

Herb

Thanks so much, Herb

Day one on Debussy and loving it! Exceptional food, wine, cabin and crew. We were in Strasbourg this morning and completed our morning excursion. The ship was to depart Strasbourg at 10 this evening. We were scheduled for tours this afternoon, to return at 715pm. After our morning tour we were advised that the Captain wanted to sail at 1 pm as the water level was going to be going too low later today. Crystal was excellent in extending choices to all. We could go back to the ship and sail at 1, or for those that wished to complete the afternoon activities Crystal kept staff behind with them and arranged a bus to meet up with Debussy later tonight. That was terrific, as it was a quick deviation and I thoughtful. Thank you Crystal!

I hope you’ve enjoyed the cruise overall and that the short time you’ll spend in Budapest will be fun. Taking a train there is a much better option then a bus!

We have done both the bus and the train (specifically, Railjet in First Class) and have to agree that the train is a MUCH better option!

From where did you take train? How long was train trip and did anyone help with luggage?

Thanks!!

We flew in/out of Budapest. We took Railjet, booked specific train time & booked first class. It was 2.5 hours from Budapest to Vienna. It was a very nice trip. We left from Keleti train station & had help with our luggage. However, when getting off the train in Vienna we had to do it ourselves. We then took a cab to our hotel.

Day one on Debussy and loving it! Exceptional food, wine, cabin and crew. We were in Strasbourg this morning and completed our morning excursion. The ship was to depart Strasbourg at 10 this evening. We were scheduled for tours this afternoon, to return at 715pm. After our morning tour we were advised that the Captain wanted to sail at 1 pm as the water level was going to be going too low later today. Crystal was excellent in extending choices to all. We could go back to the ship and sail at 1, or for those that wished to complete the afternoon activities Crystal kept staff behind with them and arranged a bus to meet up with Debussy later tonight. That was terrific, as it was a quick deviation and I thoughtful. Thank you Crystal!

I'm impressed, it seems that Crystal really went out of their way to accomodate the passengers.

Thanks for the update, and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

I am posting this to calm nerves (mine were slightly...okay ....totally frayed prior to embarkation)

Crystal has been beyond amazing in dealing with the low river levels. I could go on with details but rest assure if it is possible to keep you on the ship they DO IT! We have stayed on the ship for our sailing, and will now make it to Amsterdam without major issues. The biggest change they have made, is to dock in safer water levels which have been chosen close to excursion sights. The bus picks us up, off we go to the excursion, and bring us back to the ship. Again, anyone wishing to deviate from their chosen tour can stay on board without any problem. The captain is brilliant in his way of making this work. Staff....I sincerely don’t know if they sleep... they share all information clearly for us. Crystal, a big thank you to all, from the bottom of our hearts! Your staff makes the impossible POSSIBLE! No unpacking...we have stayed onboard and enjoyed all services offered!!!

I am posting this to calm nerves (mine were slightly...okay ....totally frayed prior to embarkation)

Crystal has been beyond amazing in dealing with the low river levels. I could go on with details but rest assure if it is possible to keep you on the ship they DO IT! We have stayed on the ship for our sailing, and will now make it to Amsterdam without major issues. The biggest change they have made, is to dock in safer water levels which have been chosen close to excursion sights. The bus picks us up, off we go to the excursion, and bring us back to the ship. Again, anyone wishing to deviate from their chosen tour can stay on board without any problem. The captain is brilliant in his way of making this work. Staff....I sincerely don’t know if they sleep... they share all information clearly for us. Crystal, a big thank you to all, from the bottom of our hearts! Your staff makes the impossible POSSIBLE! No unpacking...we have stayed onboard and enjoyed all services offered!!!

Could you please share which ship you're on and what was your itinerary? Thanks...so glad things are going well!

Just received this email about our Sunday, September 23rd Rhine cruise on the Debussy. Looks like it's not going to Basel but will end near Frankfurt instead. There is going to be some considerable effort going into changing return flights booked with award miles.

Dear Valued Travel Partner,

We look forward to welcoming yourclients aboard Crystal Debussy's "Splendors of the Rhine" river cruise departing onSeptember 23, 2018.

Due to unseasonably dry conditions incentral Europe, the Rhine River, specifically in the area upstream of Koblenz,Germany, is experiencing extremely low water levels. Based on these circumstancesand the forecasts for the near future, we are obliged to confirm a reviseditinerary as follows:

Original Itinerary:

Day

Arrive

Depart

Sep 23

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

Embark

Sep 24

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

-

Sep 25

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

2 pm

Sep 26

Cologne, Germany

1 pm

Midnight

Sep 27

Koblenz, Germany

9 am

-

Sep 28

Koblenz, Germany

-

7 am

Rüdesheim, Germany

2 pm

10 pm

Sep 29

Speyer, Germany

11 am

8 pm

Sep 30

Kehl, Germany

9 am

10 pm

Oct 1

Breisach, Germany

9 am

9 pm

Oct 2

Basel, Switzerland

8 am

-

Oct 3

Basel, Switzerland

-

Disembark

NEW Itinerary:

Day

Arrive

Depart

Sep 23

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

Embark

Sep 24

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

-

Sep 25

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

1 pm

Sep 26

Cologne, Germany

1 pm

Midnight

Sep 27

Koblenz/Lahnstein, Germany

9 am

Midnight

Sep 28

Cochem, Germany

7 am

9 pm

Sep 29

Bernkastel, Germany

8 am

Midnight

Sep 30

Mehring/Trier, Germany

8 am

-

Oct 1

Mehring/Trier, Germany

-

7 pm

Oct 2

Koblenz, Germany

3 pm

-

Oct 3

Koblenz/Frankfurt, Germany

-

Disembark

*Please note that due to congestion along the river, the times and order of ports are subject to change.

It is possible that one hearty rainfall can restore water levels to a safe, navigable level and so we will continue to monitor the situation in hopes of restoring our original itinerary as much as possible. The revised itinerary will allow guests to enjoy great ports on the Rhine and Moselle rivers and we will now disembark the ship in Koblenz, Germany. Frankfurt International Airport is the closest airport, located about 1.5 hours from the port. Complimentary motor coach transfers will be provided between the ship and the airport on the day of disembarkation.

Return Flights

As the amended cruise now ends in Koblenz, rather than Basel, we are pleased to provide guests with independent flight arrangements up to $750 per guest reimbursement for the cost of amending the return flight from Basel (BSL) or Zurich (ZRH) to Frankfurt (FRA). Alternatively, the same allowance can be used towards the purchase of a separate economy-class ticket from Frankfurt to Basel or Zurich on October 3. So that we can arrange transfers from the ship to the Frankfurt airport, please email any new or revised flight information to RiverButler@CrystalCruises.com (please include your clients' booking number). Please send complete documentation of your clients’ out-of-pocket cost and proof of payment to GuestRelations2@CrystalCruises.com so that we may process reimbursement. Kindly allow four to six weeks for processing.

For guests with flights arranged by Crystal, we will adjust those flights (same class of service) to match the new itinerary at no additional cost. Please note: stopovers and custom itineraries on the new flight arrangements are subject to additional charges. Alternatively, we can provide a separate economy-class ticket from Frankfurt to Basel or Zurich on October 3. Please contact Guest Support Services at GuestSupport@CrystalCruises.com or (800) 290-0032 with your clients' preference.

Shore Excursions

Our onboard and shoreside teams are diligently preparing for the alternate itinerary, including setting up new shore excursion opportunities. Registration forms will be delivered to guest suites on board the ship.

Although this situation is beyond our control, we wish to apologize for any inconvenience your clients might experience, and as a gesture of goodwill, we are pleased to extend them a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of $750 per guest, valid towards any Crystal Experience (Ocean, River or Yacht Expedition) embarking on or before September 30, 2020.

Please inform your clients of the revised itinerary as soon as possible.

Thank you for your partnership. It will be our pleasure to welcome your clients aboard Crystal Debussy for a lovely river journey.

Sincerely,

Crystal

Guest Services

Could you please share which ship you're on and what was your itinerary? Thanks...so glad things are going well!

We are on the Debussy, arriving Amsterdam on the 22. It is raining in Cologne so fingers crossed for success on the next cruise out!

giustot,

This is the amended itinerary that Crystal offered earlier during the drought. You will find it mentioned previously in this thread.

The Moselle is lovely but the drawback of this itinerary is that you will not see the castle stretch on the Rhine. Unless Crystal has booked you onto an excursion boat. You could DIY this but it needs careful planning.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Just received notification that the Crystal Mahler October 3 cruise will be amended due to low-water conditions. It was originally scheduled to begin in Amsterdam and conclude in Budapest. Sorry for the poor formatting of this cut-and-paste:

Day Location Arrive Depart Oct 3 Amsterdam, Netherlands Embark 10 pm Oct 4 Nijmegen, Netherlands 8 am 6 pm Oct 5 Düsseldorf, Germany 8 am 5 pm Oct 6 Koblenz, Germany 9 am 10 pm Oct 7 Cruising Moselle River - - Bernkastel, Germany 4 pm - Oct 8 Bernkastel, Germany - - Oct 9 Bernkastel, Germany - 10 pm Oct 10 Cochem, Germany 7 am 12:30 pm Lahnstein, Germany 9 pm - Oct 11 Lahnstein, Germany - Midnight Oct 12 Bonn, Germany 6 am 7 pm Oct 13 Arnhem, Netherlands 9 am 10 pm Oct 14 Rotterdam, Netherlands 8 am 7 pm Oct 15 Ghent, Belgium 8 am 8 pm Oct 16 Antwerp, Belgium 5 am 10 pm Oct 17 Amsterdam, Netherlands 1 pm - Oct 18 Amsterdam, Netherlands - - Oct 19 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Disembark

Thank you for posting about Mahler. That means the ship will not be in Budapest on the 19th. I’m looking forward to what the plans will be for ours... Budapest to Amsterdam 10/19 - 11/4.

Most of the Budapest to Amsterdam and Amsterdam to Budapest trips on Crystal seem to be round trip Amsterdam.

Hi, my first post and our first river cruise. On the Crystal Bach leaving Amsterdam on Sunday the 30th, and ending at Mainz, October 7th. Letter and phone call received today (the day before our flights).

ORIGNAL ITINERARY

Date Location Arrive Depart

Sep 30 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Embark

Oct 1 Amsterdam,Netherlands - 6 pm

Oct 2 Antwerp,Belgium 8am 8 pm

Oct 3 Nijmegen,Netherlands 1pm 6 pm

Oct 4 Cologne,Germany 1 pm 9pm

Oct 5 Cochem,Germany 1 pm 10pm

Oct 6 Koblenz,Germany 6 am 1pm

Oct 6 Rüdesheim,Germany 7 pm -

Oct 7 Rüdesheim,Germany - 1 pm

Oct 7 Mainz, Germany 3pm Disembark

NEW ITINERARY

Date Location Arrive Depart

Sep 30 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Embark

Oct 1 Amsterdam, Netherlands - 6 pm

Oct 2 Antwerp,Belgium 8am 8 pm

Oct 3 Nijmegen, Netherlands 1 pm 6 pm

Oct 4 Düsseldorf, Germany 8 am -

Oct 5 Düsseldorf, Germany - 2 am

Oct 5 Cologne, Germany 8am 11 pm

Oct 6 Bonn, Germany 10:15am Midnight

Oct 7 Lahnstein, Germany 6am Disembark

So after Nijmegen, we get to spend 3 days in industrial German cities. We understand the "acts of God" principle but to just park us a few deep water ports because it is the easiest for them is inexcusable. Our trip of a lifetime (we're taking all of our parents to celebrate their 80th birthdays) is on the rocks (like the boats on the river I guess). I have read of other lines offering to still try to hit highlights via buses -- not ideal, but we live in New York City. We really don't want to spend our days in noisy, large cities. Oh, and they offer a $250 credit per person off another cruise. I have heard that Viking has been cancelling trips altogether and offering refunds. Anybody know if this is true?

sjm223,

welcome to Cruise Critic. You are one of quite a few worried/annoyed/excited river cruisers who have joined recently in the light of low water levels and changed itineraries. I am sorry to read about your changed itinerary - thank you for providing it, I am sure this is helpful for future cruisers - as I think that it is inferior to your original one. As you have already hinted at, after Nijmegen you will be in big cities.

I would like to address this in a bit more detail. To be honest none of those cities are anything near as large and noisy as I have been told New York downtown is. And Düsseldorf, Cologne and Bonn are much older. You can see medieval things in all of those three. But I do not think Crystal has made a good choice with fitting those three into one itinerary. To be fair, I can imagine them not being able to get the ship docked in alternative small places that you would have had on your original itinerary, like Cochem. But that is my guess. Rüdesheim is of course out as it is beyond the Rhine gorge, the problem area.

To the towns again: in Düsseldorf you will have a mix of some old with much modern (they like their modern architects), but you can head out to Schloss Benrath, that is the palace which is the original seat of the regional nobles. Perhaps a guided tour in English could be arranged? This is it: https://www.schloss-benrath.de/welcome/?L=1

In Cologne the Cathedral is a must-see and the old town is alright as well, even if much of it is rebuilt or restored. The museum next door is great for Roman artefacts. But you can also go to the botanical gardens for example.

Bonn is a delight and far from industrial. It has an old church right in the pedestrian precinct, some good modern not too large shops, the Beethoven-Haus museum, a baroque town hall, a university with nice park behind it towards the river's embankment. The market in the town square is good as well (not sure if it is on all weekdays).

Why Crystal does not fit Koblenz in is a mystery to me. I also feel that other ports like Andernach could have partly made up better for the missed Rüdesheim. Even a coach trip to the lovely wine villages Leutesdorf on the Rhine or Winningen on the Moselle could have worked logistically.

I hope you can make the best of your trip under the circumstances.

Your question about other cruise lines having cancelled: Viking has mostly given up on the Elbe cruises and cancelled them, a few other companies have cancelled trips on the Danube. As far as I know no trips purely on the Rhine have been cancelled, I have probably just not heard of the few cancelled ones, Viking never cancels these (to this point in time) but does ship swaps. To find out about the policy of the Viking Elbe cancelled cruises go to this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2608417&page=4

By the way, Lahnstein is a nice small town with medieval town wall, but I read it that you will be taken straight to the airport from there.

I have pointed out before that other companies have managed to get passengers onto excursion boats to sail the Rhine gorge. One poster so far has reported back that they did not have such an option in their amended itinerary on a Crystal ship. Lahnstein (Oberlahnstein) has such a landing stage for excursion boats: https://www.k-d.com/en/landing-stages/oberlahnstein/

I hope I have been able to give a bit of positive feel to the unhappy situation. Two words on the credit offer: not satisfactory. If you offer a credit, make it substantial not just money for the kitty to buy two cups of coffee!

Whatever you decide, cancellation or going ahead with it, I hope it works out to all of your parties' satisfaction, especially the birthday boys and girls.

notamermaid

We just completed our Rhine cruise on the Debussy and want to let you know despite the changes you will be pleased with your Crystal choice. The staff is amazing, the ship incredible, food outstanding. We were so grateful that we were able to stay onboard and not have to pack up and move as others on other lines had to do. Once on board you will be relaxed and pampered! Enjoy and embrace the new itinerary.

I know that this post is too late for smj223, but I wanted to share my experience for anyone else with an upcoming Crystal river cruise who may have to face an amended itinerary.

We were on the Mahler amended itinerary sailing September 1-17. We were originally scheduled Amsterdam to Budapest. The amended itinerary was round-trip Amsterdam. Like almost everyone else, we selected this itinerary specifically for Vienna and Budapest. About 60 passengers decided to travel on the amended itinerary.

What I learned on board is how many moving pieces there are to totally reroute a ship, especially when so many others are rerouting at the same time. There are limits to how many can dock in any one place, in addition to the availability of tour guides and venues to visit. The competition for resources is great. In addition, Crystal offers a Michelin dinner option and a Signature event that cannot be held everywhere. It is like doing a 5,000 piece jigsaw puzzle. It involves corporate headquarters, booking agencies and onboard staff scheduling the buses and handling the anxious passengers. I am amazed at the trip Crystal provided (and I’m a pretty tough customer).

When we boarded, we were given excursion choices for the first three days only. The other days were still being finalized. Luckily, Crystal was able to arrange a charter boat that sailed down the middle Rhine for a couple of hours so we could see the castles. This was part of a full day tour to Rudesheim, leaving on buses from Koblenz. In addition to the boat ride, we had a wonderful lunch in Rudesheim, visited the Mechanical Instrument Museum and rode a cable car over the vineyards with a beautiful view of the Rhine. It was a lovely day.

We were scheduled for three nights in Bernkastel, Germany. If I hadn’t read Sarasota Scott’s cruisecritic posts (he was on the amended cruise before us), I would have wondered what we were going to do in this sleepy little town for two days. The excursions included a Bernkastel walking tour with wine tasting, Landshut Castle hike, and full day trips to Luxemburg and Trier. The full day trips were great and we were never in a bus for more than 60 to 75 minutes.

Cochem and Koblenz (Germany) offered tours of castles and a fortress, city walks and eBike adventures. All worthwhile.

There were four tours in Dusseldorf, Germany. I enjoyed the walking tour with tastings. We ate from a produce stand, had candy and hot chocolate,and ended with a feast of meats, cheeses and beer fit for Henry VIII. I enjoyed Dusseldorf so much that I hope to return.

There were four tours in Arnhem, The Netherlands. A castle (more like a palace), the amazing Airborne Museum, an eBike tour and a museum tour.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands offered four tours including The Hague, the Delft’s Blue factory and Kinderdijk & Dutch windmills.

In Ghent, Belgium, you could take tours in town or an all day tour to Bruges. In Antwerp, Belgium, you could likewise stay in town or take an all day tour to Brussels. The Crystal Signature Event in Antwerp was magical.

There was no hint that this itinerary was not planned months in advance. The excursions were professional and meaningful. The buses were never crowded with passengers. (On more than one occasion, the group could have fit into one bus, but we were split between two buses for comfort.) I never saw more than 17 passengers per guide. One time the group was split 7 and 10 between two guides. There was always at least one Crystal representative with each group to handle any issues that might arise. In many ports, the tours were spaced so that you could take one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

The service was impeccable. The food was excellent.

I hope this helps explain my perception of why the amended itineraries don’t all visit the same ports or offer the same excursion choices.In my opinion, Crystal is doing an amazing job trying to bring guests a superior experience.

Am I still disappointed that I missed Vienna and Budapest? Yes. Am I the least bit disappointed that I sailed on the amended itinerary? Not at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Crystal Bach is sailing at the moment or whether the present cruise has been cancelled?  I have been tracking it and it seemed to be at Koblenz but can’t see it now and the live camera isn’t showing. We are waiting to see if our cruise in November will be cancelled or just a change of ports. 

On 9/17/2018 at 4:21 PM, txislandlvr said:

From where did you take train? How long was train trip and did anyone help with luggage?

Thanks!!

We flew in/out of Budapest. We took Railjet, booked specific train time & booked first class. It was 2.5 hours from Budapest to Vienna. It was a very nice trip. We left from Keleti train station & had help with our luggage. However, when getting off the train in Vienna we had to do it ourselves. We then took a cab to our hotel.

We did the same. It was nice that we were able to reserve specific seats and they even offered lunch service with fresh food.