Nurenburg to Budapest at Christmas time

Action Dave

Many years ago, I did some travelling in Europe, and USD seemed to be accepted by everyone, stores and individual sellers alike. In fact, some of the sellers had signs showing the exchange rate of their local currency against USD, so we felt assured we weren't being taken advantage of, and yes, I know that change is returned in local currency, so having small bills is ideal.

Just because they had a sign with exchange rates doesn't mean you weren't being taken advantage of. You probably were.

Trevoli,

Do not take my statement personally, but look at it from the viewpoint of an artisan with a stall at a Christmas market in say, Prague, or Budapest. Why should they be expected to know the price of their craft items in various world currencies? How much are they going to lose in exchange rates at the bank If they accept a lot of different foreign currencies? If you were the artist in the US, how would you react if a tourist from Hungary tried to pay you with forints? Insulted, maybe?

RB

I do not think anyone would be insulted in Europe by being offered US $ (Turkish Lira Yes) they would either accept it or politely say they do not accept it.

You would be surprised at how many stall holders (especially in the large cities) know the current exchange rates. So easy with mobile phones and exchange rate apps. The flip side is you would get a very bad exchange rate and any change would be in local currency.

• 3 weeks later...

Europeans are very used to American tourists and many of their countries rely on a tourism economy.

I am thinking that the stalls at the markets are happy to see all of the river cruisers, actually depend on outside travelers, and so are prepared for various currencies.

Our dollar may not be as revered as it once was, but I don’t think it is yet an insult.

G.M.T. is correct that the worst that can happen is that they would probably politely say that they cannot accommodate $.

As previously said, I usually take local currency when traveling, but the easiest thing to do is carry a credit card, and let the bank figure out the exchange rate!

That is why I still wonder if many of the stalls do take credit cards. I’m guessing that they do. It is safer and easier for both parties.

(Think about the craft shows in our country, the vendors all take CCs)

Has anyone previously done the German markets and used credit cards, there?

You can safely assume that the vendors with more expensive items will accept credit cards. Not US Discovercard. You should have a small amount of local currency for less expensive items - under 10 Euros is a good standard.

I am glad to hear that some of the craftspeople/vendors accept credit cards. I use ccs for nearly everything when travelling, as the exchange rate is optimal, and, has already been noted, it's safer for everyone, both at the time of the purchase, and afterwards.

That said, I will be prepared with local currency in small bills, as well. Local tour operators, hotel housekeeping, and other hospitality workers prefer tips in their currency, so I like to accommodate that too.

Its been a few months since this thread was very active but with the holidays right around the corner - interest in Holiday sailings occurring this year and in the future will be on people's minds I am sure (they are for me!). Hoping folks who sail this year over the holidays will post (Seahags ;)). Would love to sail the Rhine over the holidays but with the majority of ports in Germany - curious what peoples experiences will be in those ports esp after Christmas Day when I know most if not all the Christmas markets shut down. I know there is more then the markets to do and see but always interesting to hear first hand experiences.

Thanks everyone!

Bob

Well, we're all four REALLY excited about this trip! We'll be away for nearly four weeks, spending time in Munich, Prague, Frankfurt and Nuremberg before boarding the S.S. Beatrice. We've been busy researching what we'll do in the cities before we board, Christmas Markets in each are definitely on tap! We're doing "The Nutcracker" in Prague, as well as a Czech Christmas Concert...tix already in hand! Munich will be a full day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle. Still working on more...stay tuned!

eileen

Well, a bit more than four weeks away, although since we've broken the 100 day mark they seem to be speeding by! Next Sunday is our in person interview at the airport to finalize our Global Entry hoping to make re-entry to the U.S. quicker! It'll be my pleasure to share what comes next in planning! This is really a Bucket List trip for Carol and I! Will post again soon, Bob! Eileen:cool::cool:

Eileen

Sounds wonderful already! Four weeks away...can't imagine that for me - yet! Please keep us posted during planning and your trip.

Bob

Oops, LOL!! YAY, four weeks away! Would love to have your restaurant recommendation. We are staying at the Hotel Muller, which seems to be central and very well reputed! We're all about the 'local'!

:cool::cool:

I meant 4 weeks away on vacation (LOL! :D)

I have a great "local" restaurant recommendation I can pass on while in Munich (if interested) - food was absolutely phenomenal and was a true local place.

I sailed the Rhine last November from Basel to Amsterdam, and the temps ranged from cool and sunny to downright cold and rainy. Between sweaters / light dress jackets and a waterproof rain coat, I managed and had a fantastic time. Yes, layers are key! And be prepared for wet pavement with shoes that have good tread on them.

Thank you for the temps/dress help! It's so difficult to pack 'light' and pack warm at the same time. We will be prepared to layer, and definitely have water-proof boots and shoes! Carol and I will be fine traipsing through the Christmas Markets with plenty of gluhwein, but the guys will be on their own, LOL! It's been SO overly warm and humid here the past couple of weeks that thinking about winter clothing has been a real challenge! I KNOW we'll have a great time!

I sailed the Rhine last November from Basel to Amsterdam' date=' and the temps ranged from cool and sunny to downright cold and rainy. Between sweaters / light dress jackets and a waterproof rain coat, I managed and had a fantastic time. Yes, layers are key! And be prepared for wet pavement with shoes that have good tread on them.[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

I am book on a Viking long ship for next year with my mom. This is my mom's bucket list trip. She has wanted to do the Christmas Market trip ever since I could remember.

We are actually leaving the last week of November 2019. We are doing the 3 day pre departure in Prague (we leave from Nuremberg). We wanted to leave the beginning of December but found out if we left on November 29th or the 30th we saved over $1,000 per person and had an upgraded room than if we left on December 1st. We confirmed that all the Christmas Markets opened up around mid November except maybe 1 of the small towns and Krems doesn't have one.

We are looking forward to traveling in the winter and getting to possibly see snow as we live in Southern California. We have a few days in Budapest with the ship and all in total we will be gone 11 days. I am not sure if we should add on the post cruise in Budapest. That would just make it into a really long time. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I am book on a Viking long ship for next year with my mom. This is my mom's bucket list trip. She has wanted to do the Christmas Market trip ever since I could remember.

We are actually leaving the last week of November 2019. We are doing the 3 day pre departure in Prague (we leave from Nuremberg). We wanted to leave the beginning of December but found out if we left on November 29th or the 30th we saved over $1,000 per person and had an upgraded room than if we left on December 1st. We confirmed that all the Christmas Markets opened up around mid November except maybe 1 of the small towns and Krems doesn't have one.

We are looking forward to traveling in the winter and getting to possibly see snow as we live in Southern California. We have a few days in Budapest with the ship and all in total we will be gone 11 days. I am not sure if we should add on the post cruise in Budapest. That would just make it into a really long time. Any thoughts?

As you rightly state, if you leave 29th. / 30th November, the major Christmas markets will be open, so then you have $1000 to spend in the markets.:halo:

I assume you will be cruising Nuremberg to Budapest, you r cruise will cover some of the most interseting and beautifully placed marekts, Nuremberg, Regensburg (several), Passau, Vienna (several), Budapest.

Snow, maybe. On the higher ground. But hopefully cold for those glühweins.

You say you have some days on the ship in Budapest. How many?

I have always found 3 days will give you a good insight into a city - without rushing things.

Having Prague and Budapest as pre and post cruise stays really make the cruise into a living memory.

As you rightly state, if you leave 29th. / 30th November, the major Christmas markets will be open, so then you have $1000 to spend in the markets.:halo:

I assume you will be cruising Nuremberg to Budapest, you r cruise will cover some of the most interseting and beautifully placed marekts, Nuremberg, Regensburg (several), Passau, Vienna (several), Budapest.

Snow, maybe. On the higher ground. But hopefully cold for those glühweins.

You say you have some days on the ship in Budapest. How many?

I have always found 3 days will give you a good insight into a city - without rushing things.

Having Prague and Budapest as pre and post cruise stays really make the cruise into a living memory.

The ship docks and we have 1 full day in Budapest and then depending on our flight home the 2nd day. I am wondering if we should add on the post cruise 2 days that Viking offers just to give us 2 extra days in Budapest or if by that time we would just be too tired since we would have just spent 11 days at Christmas Markets including 3 full days in Prague.

We did sign up for the Viking Air package since the price from LA area to Europe was only $599 because of the sale they were having as well. Viking is letting us leave from our local airport instead of having to drive to LAX!

• 2 weeks later...
Losttexincali, I believe that we are on your cruise. Are you on the Viking Gullveig? We are a group of 10 couples. I had started a roll call some months ago but it died due to lack of interest.

As we get closer, we can try to start another again.

No, we are not on the same ship. We board the Viking Tor on November 29th in Nuremberg. But we will probably be cruising down the river together if you leave on the 29th as well. I know it is over a year away but I am already researching this trip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2018 at 11:42 AM, Action Dave said:

I would love to hear from River cruisers about their experience cruising Nuremberg to Budapest at Christmas time. Seriously thinking about this cruise..How cold is it..will we still enjoy it?
Interested in all your thoughts..
Thanks Dave

With the right clothing you’ll have a fantastic time. 

5D4DC517-C2CF-4775-9ED4-81C130394A6A.jpeg

6274B206-455F-48F1-9DAD-B0FDEF066BD3.jpeg

B042CB40-79B7-49F2-9FB8-5FED7E9048D8.jpeg

8EA2480D-D927-4471-B903-F82938D770E9.jpeg

• Like 1