River Cruise Recs?

chicchic325

Hi! Hubby and I are interested in a river cruise, but we are both in our 30s.

I was intrigued by the U by Uniworld marketing for our age group- but upon reading into it, apparently I'm a "older/seasoned/pick your PC term for not a typical millennial" on my vacations. No way I want to wait to start exploring stuff when museums and things open at 8 or 9am!

I'm looking for historical excursion that don't focus on biking. Walking tours are fine. I'd prefer drinks/food to be included, but the drinks aren't a deal breaker.

Which river and company do you recommend for us to try river cruising?

Hi! Hubby and I are interested in a river cruise, but we are both in our 30s.

I was intrigued by the U by Uniworld marketing for our age group- but upon reading into it, apparently I'm a "older/seasoned/pick your PC term for not a typical millennial" on my vacations. No way I want to wait to start exploring stuff when museums and things open at 8 or 9am!

I'm looking for historical excursion that don't focus on biking. Walking tours are fine. I'd prefer drinks/food to be included, but the drinks aren't a deal breaker.

Which river and company do you recommend for us to try river cruising?

I will only note that most museums in my experience don't open until 10 (some very popular ones at 9). As someone who is usually up early on vacation I'm usually ready to go before they open.

Perhaps the Avalon Waterways Active Discovery itineraries could be of interest: https://www.avalonwaterways.com/europe-active-discovery-river-cruises/

As regards river, not sure. History of the area is normally always a part of an excursion if it is a castle or a general included tour of a town.

On a river cruise you meet like-minded people who are happy to learn something of the places they will visit, and this usually brushes over age difference, i.e. you might find it easier to relate to the older folk on your cruise than you might at home. Expect to be some of the youngest, but many people on a river cruise are very active and fit.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

Hi - I second the suggestions from notamermaid, based on our Viking Danube cruise this past spring. In our 50’s, we were younger than most of the 150+ cruisers. The age difference rarely mattered, as most of the people are active adults, and there were plenty of opportunities to go off on our own.

Regarding time of day for excursions, you can almost always go off on your own earlier, then head back to the ship at whatever time the group is leaving. The ships almost always dock in the city center, so you can walk off and do what you please until the scheduled departure. We took advantage of an early morning break in Krems, Austria, doing an hour plus walk through the small town before our organized excursion to Gottweig Abbey.

Lastly, you may want to read through the multiple articles on this board that compare the various river cruise lines. Our spring cruise was our first river cruise, and it was very helpful to read those articles to understand what to expect.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you want more of a DIY experience, where the ship takes you from point A to point B, and you do your own thing when you get there, you may want to consider Teeming. There are no organized tours, but they offer discounted DIY excursions and museum tickets.

Robin