Crazy crazy prices !

lovescarborough

Prices across the fleet have been crazy lately. We've been watching the cruise prior to ours on Silly. Right now the price for Aqua is $500 more per person for a 9 night than our cruise is for a 12 night. Add to that our cruise prices have gone up $400 per person since we booked. This is the first X cruise in a long time that has seen not a single price drop and has steadily risen since we booked. Prices for next year are higher than we've ever seen before. X need to consider that they aren't the only vacation choice around.
I agree. Its really overpriced. But there must be folks with plenty of money to throw. Else how do they fill the cabins?

Prices overall have gone up a lot since, let's say, 5 years ago. Prices will also stay up as long as there are people willing to pay the asked amount for it. Edge is a complete no-no it seems for the incoming few years, ridiculous prices imo. I also have a couple of cruise certificates that need to be used before 2019 with NCL, but I can't seem to find any suitable cruise with a price I'm willing to pay. :)

Prices overall have gone up a lot since, let's say, 5 years ago. Prices will also stay up as long as there are people willing to pay the asked amount for it. Edge is a complete no-no it seems for the incoming few years, ridiculous prices imo. I also have a couple of cruise certificates that need to be used before 2019 with NCL, but I can't seem to find any suitable cruise with a price I'm willing to pay. :)
Maybe you can sell them on eBay or here on cruise critic, at 2 for $250, the price you paid on board

We have the problem with NCL cruise certificates too. Their prices sky rocketed soon after we bought them as they went all inclusive and unless you buy a balcony cabin you can only use one certificate per cruise!

So I was looking at a cruise this December in the Caribbean ('the cheaper destination') for a special birthday surprise. The timing and itinerary was pointing at a cruise on Silhouette for 12 days. Basic price for two with a classic drinks package and wifi included was £3,400. Add on gratuities, airfares and some speciality dining and we were looking at around £5,500. Since this is a special trip we were going to go for a Sky Suite. Basic price for the twelve day trip was over £7,000!

So after hunting around we are now going for ten days with Regent in a basic veranda cabin that is the same size as a Sky Suite and includes everything including premium economy air fare, speciality dining, gratuities, excursions and an overnight accommodation for less than the Sky Suite, considerably less.

Mad X pricing indeed

So I was looking at a cruise this December in the Caribbean ('the cheaper destination') for a special birthday surprise. The timing and itinerary was pointing at a cruise on Silhouette for 12 days. Basic price for two with a classic drinks package and wifi included was £3,400. Add on gratuities, airfares and some speciality dining and we were looking at around £5,500. Since this is a special trip we were going to go for a Sky Suite. Basic price for the twelve day trip was over £7,000!

So after hunting around we are now going for ten days with Regent in a basic veranda cabin that is the same size as a Sky Suite and includes everything including premium economy air fare, speciality dining, gratuities, excursions and an overnight accommodation for less than the Sky Suite, considerably less.

Mad X pricing indeed

Oceania have a similar deal on for selected cruises ex Miami January - March in the Caribbean. They look very good value cw Celebrity

You forgot to include me in your booking :')

;p I’ll let you know next time when I book the B2B2B2 in the Iconic :D:').

Oceania have a similar deal on for selected cruises ex Miami January - March in the Caribbean. They look very good value cw Celebrity

I remember saying a good few months ago that I was seeing Oceania for less than X - and some posters were sceptical - so nice to see it’s not just me that is discovering luxury lines for better rates ;).

;p I’ll let you know next time when I book the B2B2B2 in the Iconic :D:').

I remember saying a good few months ago that I was seeing Oceania for less than X - and some posters were sceptical - so nice to see it’s not just me that is discovering luxury lines for better rates ;).

A UK TA had a promo for 10 nights Plus 1 night in Miami inc ex UK flights for £2800 in a Balcony on the Riviera. Includes $600 On Board Spend, Alcoholic drinks with meals, Free Wifi, Tips Included, and 6 excursions. Plus the usual Oceania freebies - free specialty dining, free non alcoholic drinks, a full set of toiletries in your cabin ;p . Upgrade to Premium Economy for £540 extra.

There cruises from New York to Boston and the Bahamas were cheaper and offered more extras that Celebrity earlier this summer as well.

In the Med they are still expensive, and seem to be more so than Celebrity.

Maybe you can sell them on eBay or here on cruise critic, at 2 for $250, the price you paid on board

Yup, that's a possibility. They are valid until Dec next year, so I'm hoping to find something interesting before that. :) I'll start investigating after my next Reflection cruise in November.

Edge is new, and people want to be on the new ship and try the new experience. I'll wait until the first wave of "new" goes through and then see if it's more reasonable :) (Especially since as I travel solo, I pay double -- those prices are nuts right now!!!)

I would think that cruise may be a good one to have a family member or friend join you, to share the cost of the cabin and penultimately the new ship and experience...

Just a thought.

bon voyage

I agree. Its really overpriced. But there must be folks with plenty of money to throw. Else how do they fill the cabins?

All of our sailings over the past few years have been at capacity with no price reductions seen.

Apparently, many, many others do not think the product is 'overpriced', otherwise what is the reason to book when there are so many other options (read: cheaper) than X?

Not only Americans, this also includes Europeans and Asians aboard whose currency is not faring well against the $ often times. Some must see and believe in the value, do you not think?

Also, I keep waiting to read what one considers to be the price point where there is value and not only 'it is overpriced', what does that really mean with the exception it costs more than one is willing to pay? Well, what is the price one is willing to pay on any particular sailing? Such a broad brush to be sure.

For example, it has been decided in My household that on our inaugural sailing on The Edge in Nov 2019, anything above an IB is more than what we want to pay unless there is a drastic price adjustment or there is a decent lottery win, in which case the Iconic Suite may be in order.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Well, at least you should get some OBC for doing the B2B. [emoji2]

Ohhh, I would think a whole lot of 'some OBC' on that one... maybe even a 'regular' verandah thrown in on another sailing. LOL

bon voyage

I think they need to raise prices to pay for all the new builds/"Improvements" they are making. So what? Your problem, we didn't ask for any of them.

Actually, yes, "we" did ask for them....by booking and filling to capacity all the other new build ships that have more bells and whistles than ever. Maybe not you. in particular, but the cruising market in general did.

Aqua is $500 more per person for a 9 night than our cruise is for a 12 night.

That actually doesn't surprise me. The longer the cruise, the fewer the people who can afford the time off to go on it, so the demand is lower. And price is largely a reflection of supply and demand.

We sail multiple lines and prices are rising on all. Same complaints everywhere. Best prices are on MSC Seaside right now. It's a wonderful ship for the price. We have sailed Carnival, Royal, MSC, Holland, and Princess. My wife and two young daughters and I have our first X cruise booked for April 2020. A 12 day Southern on the Silhouette. We know Celebrity is a class above NCL or Carnival and such. We knew we'd be paying more to sail X but we loved the 7 port itinerary. However, after much research our Celebrity is a better deal than a similar cruise on Royal for April 2020 as well. Our 12 day for the four of us is $6117. This is in an A1 deluxe angled Veranda with classic drink package. Royal has an 11 day Southern at the same time , Their price for an 11 day with spacious balcony is $6039. So, it's only $75 more to sail X for a day longer and with two drink packages. Much better deal overall on X. It's surprising that RCCL, the parent company, would charge more for the Royal cruise over the Silhouette. Believe me, even though this is our first Celebrity cruise we have found that there overall value on Celebrity will be better as all lines are raising rates and charging the same as. celebrity for what I would say an inferior cruise experience. You should see the prices they are asking for a week on NCL's soon to come ship, the Encore. Ridiculous ....

That actually doesn't surprise me. The longer the cruise, the fewer the people who can afford the time off to go on it, so the demand is lower. And price is largely a reflection of supply and demand.

Then how come the extra long cruises of over 100 nights sell out so fast, even though they are crazy expensive?

Edited by drsel

Then how come the extra long world cruises of over 100 nights sell out so fast, even though they are crazy expensive?

This one should be simple, supply and demand. There are only that many people who can afford 100+ days and have the time for it (read retired), you can ask pretty much anything as there are only a few ships every year doing that itinerary. Not like there would be hundreds of choices when you want a round the world cruise.

We sail multiple lines and prices are rising on all. Same complaints everywhere. Best prices are on MSC Seaside right now. It's a wonderful ship for the price. We have sailed Carnival, Royal, MSC, Holland, and Princess. My wife and two young daughters and I have our first X cruise booked for April 2020. A 12 day Southern on the Silhouette. We know Celebrity is a class above NCL or Carnival and such. We knew we'd be paying more to sail X but we loved the 7 port itinerary. However, after much research our Celebrity is a better deal than a similar cruise on Royal for April 2020 as well. Our 12 day for the four of us is $6117. This is in an A1 deluxe angled Veranda with classic drink package. Royal has an 11 day Southern at the same time , Their price for an 11 day with spacious balcony is $6039. So, it's only $75 more to sail X for a day longer and with two drink packages. Much better deal overall on X. It's surprising that RCCL, the parent company, would charge more for the Royal cruise over the Silhouette. Believe me, even though this is our first Celebrity cruise we have found that there overall value on Celebrity will be better as all lines are raising rates and charging the same as. celebrity for what I would say an inferior cruise experience. You should see the prices they are asking for a week on NCL's soon to come ship, the Encore. Ridiculous ....

Believe me, you wouldn’t get a week for that on Edge in Europe for two of you, never mind for four in the school holidays.