Would you take this lens?

I just got back a few weeks ago from the NCL Bliss Inaugural Alaskan Cruise and found my 150-600 to have been absolutely indispensable!!! I ended up taking 90% of my wildlife photos between 500-600mm and even used the lens for a few landscape photos as well. Even at 600mm I found many of the bears and eagles were so far off in the distance that I had to crop the images a great deal afterward in Lightroom just to fill the frame.

Originally when I was preparing I had the same concern as you about taking my 70-200 also but am happy that did not. Even with a 2x teleconvertor I think it would have been too short. Plus the extra weight would have been burdensome.

Most of my non wildlife outdoor excursion photos were taken with a Tamron 18-270. Like the 18-400 it’s a decent lens when there is enough light and when stopped down to f/8 or so. Not ideal for use indoors and in lower light situations as you really need to crank up the ISO to compensate.

Other lenses that I used were a 10-20mm for wide landscapes and some interior shots and a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 came in handy when onboard and indoors.

If you’re taking the 150-600 already along with the 18-400 I’d leave the 70-200 at home and instead take a wider lens with a fixed aperture for your indoor shots. Such as an 18-35 or a 24-70.

Bring LOTS of memory cards and shoot everything JPEG + RAW. Try to backup the cards during the trip if possible. Take extra batteries and don’t forget a rain cover and lens cleaning cloth.

Just an FYI for others who might stumble upon this thread, Alaskan cruises are not like most other cruises in my opinion. The beauty of Alaska is in the landscape and the wildlife.

I would never take my 150-600 on any other cruises and only took my 70-200 once to Hawaii. But for Alaska I found the 150-600 absolutely necessary if capturing bears and eagles on the waters edge are something you would like to do. Even at the max zoom 600 on a crop sensor body the bears and eagles were quite tiny.

I think those using lenses shorter than 300 were struggling on the wildlife shots unless it was a whale or a seal that was closer to the excursion boat.

For most Caribbean cruises I think a DSLR with a single travel zoom lens or a smaller mirrorless setup would be perfect. I typically just take my Sony APS-C body and a couple of lenses in a smaller bag. Perhaps a bridge camera would be also be adequate.

I agree that Alaskan cruises are different. Normally, 90% of our shots are taken with a 24-70. For Alaska, we're bringing the 70-200 with us. We don't have a lot of lenses and that's the most reach we've got. We'd bring more if we had it. It's just that outside of this trip, we use 70-200 maybe once a year if that.

Have you considered renting an 18-400?

I agree that Alaskan cruises are different. Normally, 90% of our shots are taken with a 24-70. For Alaska, we're bringing the 70-200 with us. We don't have a lot of lenses and that's the most reach we've got. We'd bring more if we had it. It's just that outside of this trip, we use 70-200 maybe once a year if that.

Yes, but other than whale watching, we don't anticipate much wildlife this go round.

Just bought a car so need to conserve funds right now.

The car will last another year (or longer, I hope! after last month's annual service and minor repairs. Meanwhile, the 18-400 Tamron arrived yesterday, courtesy of a £70 online reduction that actually made it cheaper than the price I was quoted in Seattle at the end of our cruise in late May. Just need to save up for the next cruise now ... :D

We ended up bringing all lenses and I never used the 70-200 (wayyyy too heavy). Dad used the 150-600 but it also got really heavy. We got lucky in the distance of the wildlife... it was much closer than we anticipated (almost Galapagos level). For instance... this was at ~200mm on my crop sensor camera. This picture is uncropped. 75bc9c6ea5fa3581afb8c3b834345085.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We ended up bringing all lenses and I never used the 70-200 (wayyyy too heavy). Dad used the 150-600 but it also got really heavy. We got lucky in the distance of the wildlife... it was much closer than we anticipated (almost Galapagos level). For instance... this was at ~200mm on my crop sensor camera. This picture is uncropped. 75bc9c6ea5fa3581afb8c3b834345085.jpg

Lovely photos that bring back happy memories from our visit to Icy Strait in late May! BTW, I went mad and ordered the Tamron 18-400mm lens. The dealer had a special offer running and this brought the price below the level I was quoted in Seattle at the end of the cruise. Only taken 40-50 trial shots so far but first impressions are quite positive.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
We always take extended holidays, so I always travel with two 5 D's (II & III) and a Canon P&S. Personally, I would definitely take the SLR, as I find them easier to make adjustments, rather than working through the menu options of the G 9 & 10.

I keep the P&S in my pocket and use it on the bus or around the ship.

Enjoy Alaska and take lots of storage and batteries.

I stuck with my plan of only taking the G10 and was happy with the results. Would have liked to have the SLR on one of the excursions but found myself more "in the moment" and am okay with that.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Forums mobile app

We ended up bringing all lenses and I never used the 70-200 (wayyyy too heavy). Dad used the 150-600 but it also got really heavy. We got lucky in the distance of the wildlife... it was much closer than we anticipated (almost Galapagos level). For instance... this was at ~200mm on my crop sensor camera. This picture is uncropped.

Come on now! Eat your Wheaties, IMHO the 70-200 is not that heavy to avoid using. It's a great lens. Being an f/2.8 lens it allows enough light in to help the auto focus system work at peak performance. That the reason to buy and use fast glass.

framer

I agree a 70-200 is not too heavy and is a great lens combo to use. But my "walk around lens" is the 24-70 f2.8 which weighs about the same as the 70-200. It all boils down to what do you want to do with those pictures and why are you taking them. I personally want push myself to take better and better photos. I know equipment is not sometimes everything is how you use it. But as my Dad always told me by the best tools you can get, it will make getting the job done easier and quicker and provide the highest quality in what you do. I have found this applies to almost everything; from getting a good saw and saw blade to camera equipment.

Canon G7X Mark II

27845472027_007e70484d_k.jpg

D850 70-200 f 2.8 @ 200mm

41920638275_3982369d65_h.jpg

What 24-70 do you have that weighs as much as a 70-200/2.8? Every 70-200/2.8 I've seen weighed about 3.5 pounds. My older-model Canon 24-70/2.8 is about 2.1, and the new model is I think 1.6. Now, had you been referring to the 70-200/4, you'd be talking about the same weight, and it's a favorite lens of mine, but the odds of me taking a 70-200/2.8 on an Alaska cruise are rather low.

My 24-105 Sigma art is a little over 2 lbs and I think that's very heavy for that size...

What 24-70 do you have that weighs as much as a 70-200/2.8? Every 70-200/2.8 I've seen weighed about 3.5 pounds. My older-model Canon 24-70/2.8 is about 2.1, and the new model is I think 1.6. Now, had you been referring to the 70-200/4, you'd be talking about the same weight, and it's a favorite lens of mine, but the odds of me taking a 70-200/2.8 on an Alaska cruise are rather low.

Nikon 24-70 f2.8 VR weighs in at 2.35 lbs

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 E VR weighs in at 3.15 lbs

I do not think .8 lbs is that noticeable but I am a big guy. I also like a little weight to me it is easier to hold steady. I know not normal.

It's very noticeable to me, but I'm a smaller guy. LOVED the Nikon 70-200 f2.8. Thought the image quality was noticeably better than the 24-70 2.8 by a lot, but it was DANG heavy.

When we switched to Sony, we decided to just ditch the 70-200 completely. Then I found a 70-200 f/4 for a good price. Weight is comparable to the 24-70 so we're much more comfortable with it. Definitely not as good image quality though. The Canon version of the f4 is MUCH better. But for me, the weight difference is worth the sacrifice in image quality.

When we switched to Sony, we decided to just ditch the 70-200 completely. Then I found a 70-200 f/4 for a good price. Weight is comparable to the 24-70 so we're much more comfortable with it. Definitely not as good image quality though. The Canon version of the f4 is MUCH better. But for me, the weight difference is worth the sacrifice in image quality.

Interesting that you got that impression. In researching my next telephoto purchase, I did a lot of reading and comparing. The Sony 70-200 f/4 was listed on DxO as having significantly better optical performance than the Canon version. They were both tested on high-res full-frame bodies and not APS-C cameras but that shouldn't make a lot of difference overall. Perception counts. I found the Sony 16-50 PZ kit zoom turned out some pretty incredible photos despite the mountains of hate people piled on it. I guess it shows that people like what they like and subjective or not, that's what matters. :)

Dave

I guess it shows that people like what they like and subjective or not, that's what matters. :)

Exactly! Cuz, to be honest, they're all really close to each other now. Photography, when it comes down to it, is an art and art really is subjective. Even when you pixel peep, some people like more noise cuz it's creamier and what is "good" bokeh seems to have very different definitions depending on who you ask. I find Ken Rockwell's photos to be garish and way oversaturated, but a friend thinks they can use more color. As long as you're happy, that's what matters.

Exactly! Cuz, to be honest, they're all really close to each other now. Photography, when it comes down to it, is an art and art really is subjective. Even when you pixel peep, some people like more noise cuz it's creamier and what is "good" bokeh seems to have very different definitions depending on who you ask. I find Ken Rockwell's photos to be garish and way oversaturated, but a friend thinks they can use more color. As long as you're happy, that's what matters.

This place is soooooo different than your typical shark tank camera forum!

:)

Happy shooting!

Dave

I know. Honestly, I don't bother with DP Review anymore. I just ask you guys. Everyone is so helpful, and even though we have our preferences, no one is made to feel wrong. Most people are nice over there too, but the few trolls/fanboys always ruin it for everyone. And I love seeing everyone's pictures on here, whether they're cruise related or not. Plus, they're really helpful as visual examples.

Glad I found this thread. First cruise in over 15 yrs. Leaving on the NCL Bliss in Aug for Alaska and was planning on bringing my 5D4, 100-400II, 1.4 Extender, 16-35 or 24-70 f4, and a fast prime (50 or 85). But now after reading this thread, I'm thinking of bringing more for those "just in case" scenarios. Makes me wonder too, how did you all keep your gear secure? In the room safe? Did anyone keep your gear in a locked pelican-type case?

Glad I found this thread. First cruise in over 15 yrs. Leaving on the NCL Bliss in Aug for Alaska and was planning on bringing my 5D4, 100-400II, 1.4 Extender, 16-35 or 24-70 f4, and a fast prime (50 or 85). But now after reading this thread, I'm thinking of bringing more for those "just in case" scenarios. Makes me wonder too, how did you all keep your gear secure? In the room safe? Did anyone keep your gear in a locked pelican-type case?

40+ cruises. Varying amounts of equipment from a crap-ton of film gear in the early days to my current compact travel kit. Never a problem. When we leave the cabin, I put my bag with any equipment I'm not carrying out of direct sight in the closet or a large enough cabinet. Mostly sailed with Royal and Celebrity. Your mileage may vary with other lines.

Dave

I've taken just about everything but the kitchen sink, and the more I think back on it, my go-to Alaska kit is pretty well set as 5DsR with rented 600/4 II on a monopod, 1Dx with 100-400 II, 5D3 with 24-70/2.8, 14/2.8 in a pouch on my waist belt, and maybe a 35/1.4 in another pouch or left in the cabin for interior stuff. I do intend to take 1-2 Profoto B2s to attempt some lit eagle shots on the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen Tour next time, but one of those B2s, a 1x3 softbox, and a very portable light stand makes for phenomenal photos in the MDR on formal nights.

If you're rolling with one camera, I really wouldn't bring much more than what you say: wide, long, fast prime in the middle (50 not 85 if you ask me, 35 could be even better).

We've had no trouble whatsoever with five cameras (my wife also shoots, just not as "out there" with gear as me), ten lenses, 1-2 tripods, 2 monopods, umpteen chargers, laptop, and three external HDs in a mini-suite.

Been working and/or cruising as a pax on cruise ships for 40+ years and never had an issue with my cameras. I travel with 5DMk3 & 5DMk2, 24-105, 16-35, 70-200 & 2x extender. Keep everything in my backpack camera bag, which normally sits in a corner or under a chair.

In 40 years, never had an issue with theft.

Never had a problem just did not leave anything "out" all back into the case and under the bed when going out. I used to use a ThinkTank International which has a security cable and lock to 'chain' the case to something. I locked it to the fold out bed frame in the couch once, but that was not on a cruise. Quit using that case when our airport no longer has 'large jets' just small commuter jets and it is too big to fit in the overhead and they want to gate check it.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all your responses! It certainly has helped alleviate a lot of my concerns

Probably going to waffle back and forth about what camera/lens/accessories I bring, but I guess that'll ultimately be dictated by how much I can fit into my backpack and suitcase.