best point and shoot waterproof camera

Also take a look at the new Panasonic TS7 / FT7 water/shock-proof camera. Sort of similar to the Olympus Tough, Nikon A-300 and other such cameras.

The FT7 sort of stands out because it has a electronic viewfinder in addition to the usual LCD screen. Come in very handy is composing pictures in bright conditions.

My next water/shock-proof after my ancient Nikon AW-100 dies.

Edited by Oak Hill Cruisers
Appearance

My next water/shock-proof after my ancient Nikon AW-100 dies.

I still have mine too. I love it. It’s done just what I’ve needed it to do (and then some).

When I saw this thread, I went on line to look up the latest AW model for the OP, only to learn it’s been discontinued. I appreciate your suggestions for the future. An electronic viewfinder would be a big plus.

My little Nikon AW100 proved its worth a couple of years ago when, in Phuket, I was walking fast across a plaza to get a better angle for a picture. I missed a curb, turned my ankle and fell flat. Only a tiny scratch on the SW100.

If I had been carrying my usual kit (Nikon D90 with Tamron 18-250), it would have been destroyed not to mention having a contusion on my chest/abdomen in addition to a turned ankle.

My little Nikon AW100 proved its worth a couple of years ago when, in Phuket, I was walking fast across a plaza to get a better angle for a picture. I missed a curb, turned my ankle and fell flat. Only a tiny scratch on the SW100.

If I had been carrying my usual kit (Nikon D90 with Tamron 18-250), it would have been destroyed not to mention having a contusion on my chest/abdomen in addition to a turned ankle.

Ouch! Glad you weren't hurt worse.

My so-glad-I-had-it "moment" with the AW100 came as follows. I'd bought it a little over five years ago to take on an expedition cruise to Antarctica. I was shooting then with a Nikon D7000, and had gone back and forth over whether to purchase a waterproof camera to also take along on the zodiac cruises and wet landings. I finally decided to buy one just before we left home, and I carried it with me in the pocket of my parka whenever we were on a zodiac or a landing.

At the end of one of the very wet landings, I was getting ready to walk into the water to board a zodiac to return to the ship and had just stashed my DSLR in my dry bag when the scene below suddenly unfolded. Thankfully, I was able to get that little AW100 quickly out of my pocket and capture the moment. It may not be the best image photographically, but it's one of my favorites from that trip, always makes me smile, and underscores the truth of "the best camera is the one you have with you."

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Ouch! Glad you weren't hurt worse.

My so-glad-I-had-it "moment" with the AW100 came as follows. I'd bought it a little over five years ago to take on an expedition cruise to Antarctica. I was shooting then with a Nikon D7000, and had gone back and forth over whether to purchase a waterproof camera to also take along on the zodiac cruises and wet landings. I finally decided to buy one just before we left home, and I carried it with me in the pocket of my parka whenever we were on a zodiac or a landing.

At the end of one of the very wet landings, I was getting ready to walk into the water to board a zodiac to return to the ship and had just stashed my DSLR in my dry bag when the scene below suddenly unfolded. Thankfully, I was able to get that little AW100 quickly out of my pocket and capture the moment. It may not be the best image photographically, but it's one of my favorites from that trip, always makes me smile, and underscores the truth of "the best camera is the one you have with you."

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Obviously an excellent example of "the one you have with you". The composition makes me wonder, are the penguins seeking passage?