GoPro Cameras

I have a HERO5. It is easy to use and whether you should get one depends on what you will use it for. I used it on a recent river cruise as many of the places we visited were on too grand a scale for photos to do them justice. It worked fine. A regular video camera will be much better for things like family events.

In it's waterproof case, it's great for getting shots you wouldn't dare bring a nice camera (or when you need your hands).

It's also nice for wide angle video. It's just so-so for photos. My most usable ones are underwater shots. Otherwise, I'm better off using a camera.

For vacation memories, it's nice to have GoPro panning shots (video really) of the whole area and combine that with more detailed, closeup shots from my good camera.

I have one, mostly for snorkeling and scuba diving. I also use it for time lapse photography off of the balconies on cruises. That lets me use my DSLR for photos.

What do you want to use it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one, mostly for snorkeling and scuba diving. I also use it for time lapse photography off of the balconies on cruises. That lets me use my DSLR for photos.

What do you want to use it for?

I want to use it when we go snorkelling and when we do different actives, like if we go zipline or on zodiac rides etc... and time when having my Olympus Tough is not handy.

I also would like to do a couple of time lapses.

I am thinking I might get a HERO6.

I heard the battery life is only about 2hrs, how have you found the battery life??

I have the Hero 6 and also 2 hero 3 blacks. The 6 is a MAJOR improvement over the 3's. The Video stabilization on the hero 6 works great and gives much better video when moving such as when taking a tour on a tram or something, way better than you will get hand holding a regular or dslr camera. Gopros are also waterproof so thats the main advantage. Timelapses also work ok and it does free up your main camera while doing so. The main drawback are in low light, the hero 3's are awful but the 6 is alot better but still lacking. There is a place for having a gopro in your kit, and it is great for action activities like your mentioning such as swimming, ziplining and places you can't hold onto a camera, also great for where you don't want to carry a larger camera. The 6 does shoot in 4K which is great. The battery life is right about 2 hours so get a few extra batterys. Your also going to need several memory cards (and get the fastest ones you can find) the gopro eats up memory so you will need plenty or a way to back up your shots such as a laptop with a external drive. You will need several hundred gigs of storage if your filming alot, between my dslr and gopro's I can fill up 1tb easy on a trip.

I own a Hero 3+ and a Session 5. Both are great but the latter will shoot in 4K at 60 FPS. I bought the 3+ three years ago to wrist mount it for New Zealand's highest bungee jump. You can see how it's mounted at the 0:16 mark and the actual footage at the 1:01 mark in this video.

7jN6bR05Nlk

GoPros are great and you don't need to get the latest or top of the line model. I use a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver and a GoPro Hero 4 Black and you can't really tell the difference between the two.

I made this video half filmed with the 3 and half with the 4, bet you can't tell which is which

[YOUTUBE]jjUGbPnTqZA[/YOUTUBE]

• 1 month later...

We  are doing a full Panama Canal cruise.   I was wondering if a GoPro camera mounted on the balcony would be able to video the entire passage without recharging?  It takes about eight hours..  I would use time-lapse through most of the finished video and normal speed at interesting points.  

I am not familiar with GoPro cameras.  Would it be useful to rent one for the trip?  Will it be able to do the job I want to accomplish?

Thanks

I have the Hero 5.  Battery life is always an issue.  I wanna say it's about 2 hours per battery?

For 8 hours, you'd need a huge memory card (like 128 GB +) and rig it so it's always charging.  Or just stitch together a few time lapse videos.  On a time lapse, no way anyone would notice when you stopped to change batteries or memory cards.

The whole transit would be tough.  I used an external battery on a canal transit and it worked fine.  The battery would depend upon which model GoPro you have.  It can be important that the battery not compromise the waterproof aspect of the camera as it rains every day.  

https://youtu.be/FUmbCbv-CE8

I’ve been using a go pro since they first came out. They are good for their purpose, but can’t imagine replacing my SLR, Mirrorless, or Compact with one exclusively.

i love the waterproof nature and compact size, as well as the ability to mount it almost anywhere.

I took my Hero 5 on our Danube river cruise this summer.  I was more than happy with the results.  I have about 200 individual cuts that I can stitch into a longer video.  Daytime resolution is excellent.  Smaller than better than using my SLR for video.  However, as the previous poster implies, the GoPro cannot replace the SLR for photographs.