Favourite Cruise Ports

Eglesbrech

Last week Edinburgh was named as the favourite cruise port in the British isles and Western Europe category “beating Barcelona, Rome, Venice and other popular ports”

While there is lots of world class things to see and do in Auld Reekie it would not be my personal favourite for a cruise based holiday as it requires a shuttle from Leith or a trip from South Queensferry, (which cruise lines advertise as Edinburgh but it is actually miles away!).

I like ports that I can just walk off, enjoy and do your own thing so one of my favourites is Copenhagen. There is lots to see there little mermaid, Gyffen fountain etc, great shopping, Carlsburg if you want to visit a brewery, the palace changing of the guards, an ice bar, Tivoli gardens etc, etc.

It always has something new to offer, it’s perfectly clean and the Danish people are just lovely.

What is your favourite port and why?

Sooooo difficult! When I was much younger and far less travelled I remember asking an older relative who travelled frequently and to places I'd never imagine visiting which was his favourite destination. He said he couldn't choose.

At the time I couldn't understand that.... but now, I have the same response having cruised for some years and visited places I never imagined I would. Cruising has opened up a whole new range of experiences. I don't think I can choose one for you but I'll try to just pick out my top ones

Venice - Yes, I know it's crowded but I just love the stunning sail-in, the buzz, the traffic on the canals, having a Spritzer sitting on the side of the water, taking a ride on a vaporetto down the Grand Canal, and just getting lost! (I must confess that earlier this year we stayed for 5 days which was a joy but it was still a highlight of our cruise on Oceana to go again for the day last month)

New Orleans - another great walk-off port and a place packed with atmosphere. Buskers, jazz, architecture and, if on an overnight stop, an opportunity to go to a jazz club for supper. Really memorable. Oh, and sailing in down the Mississippi overnight was magical seeing the moonlight reflected in the water and the dark stripes of the levees as far as you could see.

Geiranger for the awesome sail in and out and our favourite walk up to Westeras farm for coffee and waffles on the terrace overlooking the magnificent scenery. Then return via the visitor centre and walk down beside the cascading river. Fabulous.

N. Y., Istanbul, Santorini, Quebec, Havana also figure highly. Suffice to say we have loved so many of the places we've visited it's really hard to narrow down. I'd best stop there!

Thanks for making me think of so many beautiful places and wonderful memories! Cruising has enriched our lives beyond measure.

Edited by kruzseeka

Difficult for me to pick one but here are my favourite ports :

Barcelona

Venice

Valencia

Belfast

Edinburgh

Bergen

Stavanger

Oporto

Naples (Pompei)

I have been to the Caribbean many times but for some reason the ports there have lost their appeal compared to European ones.

I have not included Rome because of the distance from port.

The one that came in to my head first was Kotor. STUNNING sail in (and out), a beautiful place, lots of history, a castle to walk to, a beautiful old town and great places to have lunch. (And a nice museum that looks after the local cats!). You also need to tender and we love tendering!

The next one that came in to my mind was Rhodes - just so close to that beautiful old town where you can spend hours and hours looking at all of the history of the place. Just love everything about it. If you want to go further afield there is Lindos.

Almost forgot - Santorini. Again, lovely tender and the town is stunning.

Oh, and another one - La Coruna - love the walk around the headland - stunning

We also like to visit Naples, Dubrovnik and Catania, but more for the surrounding area after travelling than the port, so I suppose that doesn't count.

Am sure that we have forgotten some too !

:-)

P.S. How did we forget Venice ?! And Civitavecchia ?!

Sydney is my favourite port to sail into and to spend time in. San Fransisco comes a close second with Venice in third place.
I love all the ports mentioned.

Valletta in Malta is a fantastic sail in and lovely walk into town.

Funchal in Madeira is lovely and very picturesque.

The long sail into Stockholm and then the walk into the old town Gamla Stan.

Muscat in Oman and the pleasant walk along the promenade to the Souks.

Palma Mallorca has a lovely promenade full of yachts then the cathedral and many shopping streets behind the cathedral.

Santa Cruz in Tenerife is lovely although we always take a taxi to Puerto del la Cruz the main tourist area in the North

Some of my favourites are Sydney, San Fransisco, Montevideo, Akaroa and Moorea. I agree with the poster about the sail in and out of Kotor. I'm sure there are others I can't think of but I'd love to go back to the all of the one's I've mentioned.

Last week Edinburgh was named as the favourite cruise port in the British isles and Western Europe category “beating Barcelona, Rome, Venice and other popular ports”

While there is lots of world class things to see and do in Auld Reekie it would not be my personal favourite for a cruise based holiday as it requires a shuttle from Leith or a trip from South Queensferry, (which cruise lines advertise as Edinburgh but it is actually miles away!).

I like ports that I can just walk off, enjoy and do your own thing so one of my favourites is Copenhagen. There is lots to see there little mermaid, Gyffen fountain etc, great shopping, Carlsburg if you want to visit a brewery, the palace changing of the guards, an ice bar, Tivoli gardens etc, etc.

It always has something new to offer, it’s perfectly clean and the Danish people are just lovely.

What is your favourite port and why?

We also love Copenhagen as a port of call but now since the building of the new port, some considerable distant from the centre a shuttle bus is now required as most of the newer larger ships are docking there. Seems to be less and mainly smaller ships that now dock so you can just walk to Little Mermaid and further on into town.

Istanbul and Venice for the sheer glory of seeing them.

For me they were both knee knocking I can’t believe I’m really seeing this moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know exactly what you mean - the 'I can't believe I'm really here' feeling. Going to the ballet in St Petersburg felt like that too!

We also love Copenhagen as a port of call but now since the building of the new port, some considerable distant from the centre a shuttle bus is now required as most of the newer larger ships are docking there. Seems to be less and mainly smaller ships that now dock so you can just walk to Little Mermaid and further on into town.

That’s a real pitty, we have been lucky and only ever been at that port. We were there in December but your right it was a small ship, Aurora.

Seems more and more berths are moving out to shuttle distance now

North Shields is canny like.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Forums mobile app

We used to go to stay along the coats a bit from South Shields which back in the day was exotic, as you were travelling out with Scotland and meeting lovely people with strange accents. I remember long walks and a pretty lighthouse and tearoom with home made cakes.

We used to go to stay along the coats a bit from South Shields which back in the day was exotic, as you were travelling out with Scotland and meeting lovely people with strange accents. I remember long walks and a pretty lighthouse and tearoom with home made cakes.
South Shields sea front and beach on the south side of the River Tyne is a lot better than Whitley Bay on the north side.

Of course I'm going to defend Edinburgh - it well deserves it's place at #1. The reason it was voted best port is exactly what you say - that there are so many world class sights and also that there is something for everyone in a very compact walkable city. In fact there are 4 ports for Edinburgh not just 2. Leith is only 2 miles from the city centre but isn't used much and although SQ is 10 miles away it is far closer to the city than Rome and easier to get around with one of the best public transport systems in Europe. There is also a direct shuttle bus from the quayside to the heart of the city and it only costs £6 return. Rant over :D

My own favourites? like everybody else, it's very hard but probably Istanbul, Buenos Aires, Naples for the great things to do nearby, New Orleans and Antigua. However ask me again next week, and I may have changed my mind :').

Of course I'm going to defend Edinburgh - it well deserves it's place at #1. The reason it was voted best port is exactly what you say - that there are so many world class sights and also that there is something for everyone in a very compact walkable city. In fact there are 4 ports for Edinburgh not just 2. Leith is only 2 miles from the city centre but isn't used much and although SQ is 10 miles away it is far closer to the city than Rome and easier to get around with one of the best public transport systems in Europe. There is also a direct shuttle bus from the quayside to the heart of the city and it only costs £6 return. Rant over :D

My own favourites? like everybody else, it's very hard but probably Istanbul, Buenos Aires, Naples for the great things to do nearby, New Orleans and Antigua. However ask me again next week, and I may have changed my mind :').

We have never sailed into Edinburgh but visited the Royal Yacht Brittania in 2012 at Leith.