Thinking about a cruise from Rosyth

We have cruised many times, mostly P&O but also Cunard, Celebrity, NCL and originally with Airtours. We were wondering about trying Fred Olsen mainly to avoid the trail to Southampton as Rosyth would be handy and Newcastle another alternative. We have had conflicting reports from friends who cruise ranging from "its dreadful and full of elderly" to "its wonderful". As we have both recently retired, the chance to do some shorter, possibly short notice cruises is attractive. I've searched through these boards and have found a lot of useful information but have some questions if anyone can help.

We have had balcony cabins on most of our cruises apart from the first few years. However if we are going to cruise more often, we thought about trying outsides or even insides. Another complication is that I need to be midship and lower down to try and minimise seasickness. Does anyone have any thoughts on the inside cabins on Deck4 on Balmoral. Ideally we would like a double bed and this seems to cut down the cabin options.

We also prefer a table for 2 and have done freedom dining so aren't used to fixed dining. We tend to eat early though, so first sitting would suit us fine. What is the likelihood of getting a table for 2 and which restaurant(on Balmoral) would be best for this.

We like ballroom/sequence dancing having gone to the lessons on a cruise a few years ago and got the bug. We go to a class at home but are still beginners!! Is there much dancing on Balmoral on sea days/evenings.

Finally, what long stay parking is available at Rosyth. I know its not particularly easy to get to by public transport.

Thank you in advance

Low(ish) down and midship is what we normally go for, though now we tend to choose a cabin a bit to the front of the mid ship section as it is usually less afffected by any vibration or noise. We never go for the bottom deck as we always go for cabins above/below/and to either side which are less likely to have noise from anything else on the ship. You mention late booked cruises - if you are thinking of anchor fare you cannot choose your cabin and would risk potentially being in a bad location and, unless you pay an extra £2 pppd you cannot choose your dining time.

Anchor fare also means you cannot request a table size. We have always been told on Fred's ships that you would be allocated a requested table for two depending upon how early you have booked, so the people who book earlier are more likely to get the tables for two and it is highly unlikely to be allocated for anchor fare passengers. Some of Fred's two's also have a very small space between that and the next table, so does not always feel like an individual table. One plus regards dining on Fred is that the self service restaurants are much better than e.g. P&O with nicely set tables with table cloths and we have also found that people on Fred are less of a "problem" than we have felt on P&O cruises, being somewhat politer IMO. That may possibly reflect the age range, which is older than P&O, but it is the longer cruises from the UK that have the really old clientele on Fred. We prefer the more "civilised" feel to a Fred cruise compare to the atmosphere we have encountered on P&O when we have found some people somewhat lacking in manners and consideration for others. We have not travelled on the other lines you mention.

I am used to Fred to always having dance hosts and dance lessons, but I do not think that is the case on mini cruises and possibly not one week cruises. You could ask Fred about that - the office staff are very helpful if you ring them. The very short mini cruises (one or two nights) do tend to be booze cruises and would not be a good trial of Fred, but having said that we are in our late 60's and have often enjoyed our time on the dance floor (the disco type location, not ballroom) on Fred's mini cruises. There is usually still ballroom dancing in the main show lounges between and after the shows - but you would not find us there.

Basically, yes, Fred do have an older clientelle, but that does not necessarily mean senile :) The best table companion we have ever had on any cruise was about 7 years ago on a Fred cruise to Spitzbergen - she was 80 and was great company, and we had some great laughs on our table for six on that cruise. My husband also danced with her for the disco which was held on deck when we were sailing into Tromso one afternoon (her husband had a heart condition, so could not dance, but was also a good table companion).

Fred is known to be very good when going north, partly because of the ports, but also because his ships go up the inside passage in Norway, so sea days tend to be scenic cruising and even one week fjords cruises can include more scenic cruising than you would have on the large cruise ships.

As a scouser, I cannot answer your questions about Rosyth, but I am sure others will.

Edited by tring

We did a round trip Rosyth in June.

The long stay parking is not especially cheap at £9-50 per day, arranged in advance, otherwise it is, I think, £12 per day. It is only a few yards from the berth but you need to check in inside the nearby terminal building, then take the bus the couple of hundred yards to the gangway.

Porters are on hand and will take your luggage from you. It is a free service.

We live in Edinburgh so didn't pay for parking. You can take a train to Inverkeithing and taxis are right outside. Approx. £8-£10 to the dock. Or you can take a bus to Ferrytoll and a taxi from there.

I know its not particularly easy to get to by public transport.
As above - plus you can leave your car at Ferry Toll free of charge and get a taxi over to the terminal for a few quid, tel. 01383-420197 for more info, they are usually happy to advise.

http://www.ferrytoll.org/

FT is a designated park and ride, the car park is open 24/7. There is a larger similar facility at Halbeath just outside Dunfermline, but that would be more costly, though not prohibitively, than FT. Certainly much cheaper than the rip off parking charges at Rosyth.

We have used FT for a 7 night car park on a holiday from EDI airport, no problems, and will be doing so for a short break in a few weeks time. It really is a great convenience.

Mind and book a local taxi in advance, not on arrival at FT - Google "taxi firms Rosyth" - I don't want to be accused of recommending any particular business.

Also, cars are not permitted to use the "old" Forth Road Bridge now, so plan your route via the new Queensferry Crossing if you are coming over from the south side.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Thank you all for your comments, very helpful. We'll probably try a short cruise next summer as a taster- there's one for 5 days going to Orkney and Shetland which looks good as we've never been there and it doesn't seem sensible to go down to Southampton and then spend a day heading north again to dock in one of the ports for Edinburgh!

WeeCountyMan- I didn't realise that you could park overnight at Ferrytoll. Thought it would be the same as Ingliston Park and Ride so that's useful to know. We would likely be coming over the Kincardine bridge and for 5 days, it won't break the bank to park at the dock. It would make it easier on the way home.

Thank you all.

We would likely be coming over the Kincardine bridge and for 5 days, it won't break the bank to park at the dock. It would make it easier on the way home.

It's less than 3 miles from Ferry Toll (nice waiting room with toilets) to Rosyth Cruise Terminal.

Straightforward access from/to Kincardine Bridge.

We were thing of that cruise you mention and adding on the one night repositioning cruise down to Newcastle - there is a dedicated coach service back up the road the next day.

Turns 5 nights into 6.

As long as we could keep the same cabin.

Thank you all for your comments' date=' very helpful. We'll probably try a short cruise next summer as a taster- there's one for 5 days going to Orkney and Shetland which looks good as we've never been there and it doesn't seem sensible to go down to Southampton and then spend a day heading north again to dock in one of the ports for Edinburgh!

Thank you all.[/quote']

Sounds good - enjoy. Sometimes there are offers on Freedom fare, such as free tips and/or drinks for instance. No guarantee an offer like that will come up in the near future or that it would apply to the cruise you are interested in, but you never know. There are usually offers released in early December (to prepare for the Christmas time when a lot of people book holidays I think), but there may be something before then. Depends how keen you are on that specific cruise and booking earlier may just get you a table for two though.

I have just re read your initial post and see you are now retired, which (unless your retirements are particularly early), puts you in the age group for Fred passengers anyway. On a five night cruise you will likely fond more people will be younger than you, than older.