What is the latest time can I get on board at Newcastle?

davemorton

Always use P&O normally, but thinking about doing a FO cruise from Newcastle. What is the latest time I can board as at work on the day of departure so wondering what time I will have to finish?

Also, if I pay the #2 pppd to choose my dining, what are the chances of getting the table for 2 requested? I know its down to the day, but what are people experiences of this?

Cheers!

You will be given the boarding times on your booking details. It is usually between 1.30 pm and 4.30 pm unless the ship has just relocated when it can be considerably later.

The availability of tables for two varies between ships and Dining Rooms. We have normally been given one until our last cruise when we were put on a table for six. You mention paying £2 pppd so I am assuming you are booking anchor fare. I have no experience of this but would imagine that they will not meet your request in order to persuade you to pay the supplement.

If you are in the Ballindallach on Balmoral most of the tables for two are in reality a table for six as there is only a few inches between the table for two and the table for four.

The £2 pppn is to book a dining time, not a table size.

Some ships have more tables for two than others, but we have always been told that your chances of getting one depends on how early you book the cruise, so I suspect a lot of freedom fare passengers would already have asked for a table for two. We often book fairly early and usually get a two (one of the reasons why we do book early). There are a lot of advantages with freedom fare, including the fact you can usually change to another cruise with a small admin payment. if you ask to do so before the final payment is due (with restrictions on cruise price and perhaps date).

We have just booked Boudicca for 31st March on a "freedom fare upgrade" offer, rather than the anchor fare, which is also available on the recently introduced offers. We have only paid £50pp more for a grade D over the cost of an anchor fare for that grade. You can be "upgraded" with anchor fares, but chances are that will not be to a good location on the ship and we prefer portholes to windows if it means we can sleep at night. If Fred upgrades freedom fare passengers he rings to offer the upgrade (sometime at a small price), but it means you do have the chance to choose the new cabin number or refuse the upgrade.

Whether we have booked that one early enough to get our table for two is to be seen, but we are not confident on that. Not a problem on that 7 night cruise as we will likely eat out on the two nights, when in port overnight, and may well be happy with the buffet on some other days as it is a busy cruise regards time in ports. Fred buffets are good cf. the canteen like places in some cruise ships (e.g. P&O)

Not saying we would not book an anchor fare, it is sometimes worthwhile, especially if you want to book late and some good offers available on some cruises at present - that is often the case for autumn cruises as they do not sell well. Just thought the above info may be useful to you.

From the website

Anchor Fares

Anchor Fares have been designed to offer our guests promotional fares with a simplified pricing structure.

As Anchor Fares offer guests specially reduced prices, the following terms and conditions are applicable:

• Full payment is required at the time of booking
  • 100% cancellation charges apply
  • no refunds are permitted
  • Non-transferrable to any other cruise once booked
  • No room number and / or room grade is provided at the time of booking (room number will be advised on the cruise ticket)
  • Oceans Cruise Club discounts are not combinable with Anchor Fares. Oceans points will be earned however.
  • Dining sitting will be allocated at our discretion and will be advised within the cruise ticket. Anchor Fare guests can choose to book a specific dining sitting at the time of booking for a supplement of £2.00 per person per night.
  • Table sizes cannot be requested when booking on an anchor fare.

Room upgrades are subject to availability and may be complimentary or payable. Free shuttle bus is to the local centre and is not offered where the local centre is within walking distance.

From the website

Anchor Fares

Anchor Fares have been designed to offer our guests promotional fares with a simplified pricing structure.

As Anchor Fares offer guests specially reduced prices, the following terms and conditions are applicable:

• Full payment is required at the time of booking
  • 100% cancellation charges apply
  • no refunds are permitted
  • Non-transferrable to any other cruise once booked
  • No room number and / or room grade is provided at the time of booking (room number will be advised on the cruise ticket)
  • Oceans Cruise Club discounts are not combinable with Anchor Fares. Oceans points will be earned however.
  • Dining sitting will be allocated at our discretion and will be advised within the cruise ticket. Anchor Fare guests can choose to book a specific dining sitting at the time of booking for a supplement of £2.00 per person per night.
  • Table sizes cannot be requested when booking on an anchor fare.

Room upgrades are subject to availability and may be complimentary or payable. Free shuttle bus is to the local centre and is not offered where the local centre is within walking distance.

I was a bit confused with your post as it seemed to imply free shuttles are available on Anchor fare, whereas it has been something only included with Freedom fare or the suite dreams package. I went to Fred's site to check and noticed that the details of what is included with freedom fare appears to be before the extract you have copied. Hence the comment on shuttles appears to refer to the listing for Freedom fare, where shuttle buses are mentioned, so no change as I understand it. I have put a link the the full page on Fred's site below:-

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/faqs/general/whats-the-difference-between-freedom-and-anchor-fares

The comment to room upgrade also seems to refer to freedom fare as it says priority is given to freedom fare passengers (in the freedom fare listing). Perhaps they do not upgrade any anchor fares now. It has happened to us in the past with an anchor fare, but it was a number of years ago.