Low Carb Dieting

jesskuhmarie

• 2 weeks later...

7 weeks and have lost no more weight.  Plateau I’m sure.  I’m sticking with it for 4 more weeks then will transition carefully off to a low calorie diet until our cruise.  I know I can’t resist all the food on the ship so not going to make myself miserable.  I’ll be mindful ( we always skip breakfast for instance) but lemon drop martinis are calling my name already.

• 2 weeks later...

10 weeks and 14 pounds.  Overnight just dropped weight last week after a long plateau. 3 more weeks to go before I transition to maintaining until we get back from our cruise. I’m pleased with this diet.  While restrictive it does give results.  I’m not starving and the food with fat tastes good.  A little worried about adding carbs back into my diet so will try to go up over a few days and not overnight while maintaining an overall calorie count that would be maintaining.

My longest plateau was over two months, due to stress. I'm down 55 lbs in two years and trending down now.

I'm staying low carb, and go to maintenance for holidays and vacations. There is no dessert worth getting ill (can no longer enjoy sugar).

Has anyone eaten in an Italian specialty restaurant on a cruise since starting low carb? I don't think there will be much I can have. Maybe we'll try Wonderland instead on our May cruise.

What are your favorite lower carb cocktails? I can't think of any frozen drinks that would be okay.

2 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

My longest plateau was over two months, due to stress. I'm down 55 lbs in two years and trending down now.

I'm staying low carb, and go to maintenance for holidays and vacations. There is no dessert worth getting ill (can no longer enjoy sugar).

Has anyone eaten in an Italian specialty restaurant on a cruise since starting low carb? I don't think there will be much I can have. Maybe we'll try Wonderland instead on our May cruise.

What are your favorite lower carb cocktails? I can't think of any frozen drinks that would be okay.

Check the menus for the Italian restaurant.  Not all Italian is pizza/pasta - there are usually good protein options too, plus salad (no dressing) and anti pasta should all be good bets.

You're likely right on the frozen drinks - but maybe they have some blended w/o the syrupy base.  Check the carbs on your favorite liquors.  Some drier wines might be ok, I usually see vodka listed as an option too - especially with diet drinks or club soda.  You might bring Mio drops to flavor/color the drink too.

31 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Check the menus for the Italian restaurant.  Not all Italian is pizza/pasta - there are usually good protein options too, plus salad (no dressing) and anti pasta should all be good bets.

You're likely right on the frozen drinks - but maybe they have some blended w/o the syrupy base.  Check the carbs on your favorite liquors.  Some drier wines might be ok, I usually see vodka listed as an option too - especially with diet drinks or club soda.  You might bring Mio drops to flavor/color the drink too.

We went to Giovanni's Table last year, and I seem to remember the appetizers being okay, and the filet or fish as being the only non-pasta or risotto option that would be low carb friendly. Jamie's Italian is on Symphony instead of GT.

I typically stick with a liquor with Diet Coke or a vodka with soda and lime. I will probably splurge on one Banana Bailey's Colada.

Thanks for your answer.

Left home on 9 Oct for Niagara Falls - 4 days - Washington DC for 5 Days - drove to Bayonne - Anthem to New England/Canada for 9 days followed B2B with Anthem 7 days to the Bahamas - still 3 days left and home late on 3 Nov - Doing into 'dry dock' for the next four months so that I can do extended fasting (EF) and will do mainLY ing EBAO (eggs - bacon - avocados - olives) for the fi4rst two weeks!  🙂  

Home from 26 days - time to read up - unpacked but a little laundry left to finish - gained 5 POF (pounds of fat) but that is mostly drinks - not carbs!  Going to get down to business - 

*follow EBAO - Eggs - Bacon - Avocados and Olives for 1 week to get back into keto and also IF and EF - intermittent fasting and extended fasting - want to lose another 20 before 1 March 2019! 

Thanks to Clint and Debbie's tutorial - I am finally able to navigate the new cc - I think RCI techs are the same as cc now!  lol

In Drydock until 26 Feb - then gone for 46 days -  but way too much happening this time of year and calendar is full!

11 weeks and down 17#.  Next week I’m transitioning off till the first of the year.  We have Thanksgiving, a cruise, and Christmas.  I will try my hardest not to regain any weight although the cruise will be the hardest.  I’m pretty good at knowing how much to eat.  I got into trouble knowing what I was doing.

This is has been a journey....I’m very pleased with the loss for my age.  It was much faster then weight watchers.  I’m really now to the point I’m not hungry and today had to remind myself to eat dinner. I still have some morning nauseous episodes.   The worst side effect for me has been an increase in Migraines.  Dramatically increased.  Sometimes I’d go a couple of months but now often every week I’ll get one.  And they seem to be really bad.  Wish I could figure it out..I know that keto is supposed to reduce them but it has not for me.  This is the main reason I’m coming off for the next 6 weeks or so.  I don’t want to ruin the cruise or Christmas with migraines. My knees are better with less inflammation.

I’ll check in after the first of the year.  Keep going everyone!

13 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

11 weeks and down 17#.  Next week I’m transitioning off till the first of the year.  We have Thanksgiving, a cruise, and Christmas.  I will try my hardest not to regain any weight although the cruise will be the hardest.  I’m pretty good at knowing how much to eat.  I got into trouble knowing what I was doing.

This is has been a journey....I’m very pleased with the loss for my age.  It was much faster then weight watchers.  I’m really now to the point I’m not hungry and today had to remind myself to eat dinner. I still have some morning nauseous episodes.   The worst side effect for me has been an increase in Migraines.  Dramatically increased.  Sometimes I’d go a couple of months but now often every week I’ll get one.  And they seem to be really bad.  Wish I could figure it out..I know that keto is supposed to reduce them but it has not for me.  This is the main reason I’m coming off for the next 6 weeks or so.  I don’t want to ruin the cruise or Christmas with migraines. My knees are better with less inflammation.

I’ll check in after the first of the year.  Keep going everyone!

Good for you!  You know how to do this now!

*a side note about the migraines - try taking in more salt - I found that if I do a couple 'salt licks' of black Himalayan salt - that does have minerals and sulfur (smells like hard boiled eggs) it helps to starve off the headaches!  

You must have read reports of this from the British Medical Journal.

Summary:

While one can lose weight on any diet, a low-carb one results, as far as weight maintenance goes, in burning more calories than a high or middle carb one.

Seems the moral of the story is to stay off sugars (worst form of carbs) and other processed carbs. 

15 hours ago, cruising cockroach said:

You must have read reports of this from the British Medical Journal.

Summary:

While one can lose weight on any diet, a low-carb one results, as far as weight maintenance goes, in burning more calories than a high or middle carb one.

Seems the moral of the story is to stay off sugars (worst form of carbs) and other processed carbs. 

Sugar is just bad for us all around - if it was classified as a drug - it would be taken off the market - it is soooo addicting to some of us - Hi - my name is Audrilee and I am a carbaholic! 🙂

22 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

I've been planning my Thanksgiving menu, and while I will have a few regular items for my family, most of the food will be low carb.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

We will be doing 2 deep fried turkeys - 1 turkey in the oven (for the keto gravy) mashed cauliflower - green salad - keto creamy-garlic parmesan roasted Brussel sprouts and for those that eat it (not me) I will be doing stuffing!  I love the turkey and the crispy turkey skin - my favorite!  

44 minutes ago, Esahuma said:

We will be doing 2 deep fried turkeys - 1 turkey in the oven (for the keto gravy) mashed cauliflower - green salad - keto creamy-garlic parmesan roasted Brussel sprouts and for those that eat it (not me) I will be doing stuffing!  I love the turkey and the crispy turkey skin - my favorite!  

My free turkey (from work) was small, so I am roasting a few pounds of turkey thighs alongside, and will use those for more gravy. All of our turkeys are in the oven this time, but we do enjoy a fried turkey.

Our sides are: mashed cauliflower, mashed potatoes (not for me), gravy, green beans with a mushroom sauce, roasted butternut squash with browned butter, keto cranberry sauce, and cornbread dressing with sausage and sage. I will have a small portion of the dressing.

I made a pumpkin cheesecake tart on a keto shortbread cookie base. I will buy pies and rolls for the guys, and make a batch of fathead dinner rolls for myself and freeze the rest of the batch.

It will definitely be a maintenance calorie day.

6 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

My free turkey (from work) was small, so I am roasting a few pounds of turkey thighs alongside, and will use those for more gravy. All of our turkeys are in the oven this time, but we do enjoy a fried turkey.

Our sides are: mashed cauliflower, mashed potatoes (not for me), gravy, green beans with a mushroom sauce, roasted butternut squash with browned butter, keto cranberry sauce, and cornbread dressing with sausage and sage. I will have a small portion of the dressing.

I made a pumpkin cheesecake tart on a keto shortbread cookie base. I will buy pies and rolls for the guys, and make a batch of fathead dinner rolls for myself and freeze the rest of the batch.

It will definitely be a maintenance calorie day.

Sounds great!!! 🙂   

Edited by Esahuma

• 2 months later...

It’s been along time since anyone posted on this thread.  I’m about ready to transition off Keto for the second time.  The first time in 10 weeks I lost 17 lbs.  Over a cruise and Christmas I put back on 4 lbs.  Not bad really I thought.  I’ve lost that and more and now am at 21 pounds.  Overall it took 14 weeks.  This is still much faster then I’ve ever lost and I did it without cravings or being hungry. I’m sold on Keto and will continue to do tea and mct instead of breakfast, 2 small meals or one meal and a bar to maintain. It works!

• 3 weeks later...

I've now been on keto for 14 months. Just returned from a cruise and pretty much stayed on keto the whole time. Did a lot of walking and took the stairs mostly. I was up 7 lbs when I got home but lost it in three days of being home and back to my normal way of eating. I've noticed that when I travel by plane I tend to hold onto weight. It drops off in a couple days normally.

14 hours ago, mac66 said:

I've now been on keto for 14 months. Just returned from a cruise and pretty much stayed on keto the whole time. Did a lot of walking and took the stairs mostly. I was up 7 lbs when I got home but lost it in three days of being home and back to my normal way of eating. I've noticed that when I travel by plane I tend to hold onto weight. It drops off in a couple days normally.

Same here with the weight from Booze and flying - The only time I go off LCHF or Keto is on flights - we don't usually have much to eat on planes and we did have a 1 hour stay at the Admiral Club at JFK - then did fasting for 24 hours and right back to Keto - we have an Airbnb here in Buenos Aires so breakfast was 1 egg - ham - cheese salami - and IF until dinner - now able to stay Keto!  🙂

I tend to fast on days I'm flying. Good excuse not to eat to avoid airport/airline food.  If I do eat I usually take some almonds and home made beef jerky to eat on the plane. That works for me. 

Even so, I tend to gain 5 lbs or more while flying. Don't know if it's water retention or what but it usually drops off within a couple days of being home.

Edited by mac66

On 3/3/2019 at 8:12 AM, mac66 said:

I tend to fast on days I'm flying. Good excuse not to eat to avoid airport/airline food.  If I do eat I usually take some almonds and home made beef jerky to eat on the plane. That works for me. 

Even so, I tend to gain 5 lbs or more while flying. Don't know if it's water retention or what but it usually drops off within a couple days of being home.

Same here!  🙂  

• 4 weeks later...

I have been keto on and off for over two years.  With the ups and downs I am still down 20 lbs.  I just booked a cruise for next January and my 45th (!) class reunion is this summer.  So I have good reasons to be more conscientious with my keto eating.  Today is my start day.  I've done so much reading and youtube watching about keto that I think I know what to do and how to make it work for me. 

My main goal is to get off my cholesterol and high blood pressure meds.  My goal weight is 30 pounds down from where I am now.  I think I will contact my doctor when I lose the next 10 and see if she can start weaning me off these drugs. 

Congratulations to all you keto/LCHF people.  I believe we are eating for health now instead of to feed our sugar/carb addictions. 

My last cruise I ate bread once, had dessert every night and after two weeks at sea had only gained 2 pounds.  That will be my goal for the next cruise as well.  I don't like alcohol so that is probably a big help. 

Keep the posts coming and Keto On!

Just returned home - left 27 Feb and10 days in Buenos Aires - B2B on Eclipse around S. America for 29 days - I did gain 5 POF mostly from drinking (no carb vodka and sprite zero) but I did eat a couple of desserts and a little pasta and a few slices of bread -

SO NOW - I am doing extended fasting (EF) for at least 7 days -should take care of it but we leave again for 7 days Summit cruise in 10 days!  lol 🙂