Focusing on the Ordinary - Camera Equipment - 9/26/18 through 10/30/18

pierces

Yeah, yeah...typo in the title. *sigh*. The end date is actually 9/30/18. Read on.

It's been a while since we had a posted challenge. Not a challenge like throwing down a gauntlet and whacking at each other with swords, but rather a challenge where you challenge yourself to make better photos.

Many photo classes assign things like this as homework to get people out and about with their cameras. Trying new settings, observing the effects of ISO, aperture and shutter speed changes gets you more familiar with the settings themselves and when they can be used to the best effect.

The Picture-A-Week series was an outgrowth of my own personal project and isn't at all restrictive of subject matter. It is and has been a lot of fun for me but doesn't really get me out to push myself as I tend to shoot a fair amount of random stuff anyway. The idea for this venture would be to photograph a single subject or narrow category per thread with a stated goal, if applicable. Seeking something out and making the ordinary look less ordinary is a really good way to stretch the old photo muscles. Maybe this can be a monthly or weekly thing to get folks out and used to using their equipment to track down the featured subjects and post their results. You could even post with a request for constructive criticism or suggestions if desired.

Maybe at the end of the set period (variable by subject?) we could offer suggestions for the next one and vote on it somehow. I know we have contributors who teach or have taught photo classes, so there should be some interesting input.

The best kind of learning experience. Fun. Educational. Free!

--------------------

Camera Equipment - 9/26/18 through 9/30/18

(I realize this is only a few days, but I thought the subject was an easy one and starting them on a Monday and running for whole weeks would be easier to deal with.)

For the initial thread, I chose "Camera Equipment" because...well, because. If you only have one camera, take a shot of your bag, accessories and stuff, a tripod or maybe a lens. The goal is to make it look like a product shot. Attractive and interesting.

Here's my slightly worn A6300 posing for an example for the initial subject. I chose an initial outing that wouldn't require a lot of searching and setup. That can change later if this catches on.

p3088320929-4.jpg

Chip in if you want and let me know if this is a good idea and something that can help us all be better photographers.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Dave,

I like this idea. Anything to get me out, or in, and use my gear.

I spent a little time on this subject today and here are a few of the results.....

43182525020_7737fbdca8_b.jpg

44994032021_385d854fa3_b.jpg

44082644665_1045d1da0f_b.jpg

"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"

31121271518_57aa428c78_b.jpg

"Oh goodie! My Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator."

I hope more people will join in and keep these challenges going!

Mark