If not porting in Hilo, will there be a substitute?

ChrisB123

What are the chances that they will change the route and cruise by the lava flow? That would make up for missing Hilo.

We did this at night and all we could see was mostly a glow due to all the smoke and in our case also steam.

We did this at night and all we could see was mostly a glow due to all the smoke and in our case also steam.

You were fortunate to see that on your cruise & based on the rivers of molten lava flowing into the ocean & fountains of lava in the rift zones there should be some good nighttime viewing opportunities.

Although the decision whether to go there could be a financial decision made at headquarters. I haven’t heard about any cruise ship sailing past the volcanic activity including NCL’s POA. Since canceling Hilo & Kona they are only going as far as Maui. There are several factors considered & they’re undoubtedly continuously assessing this evolving situation.

You were fortunate to see that on your cruise & based on the rivers of molten lava flowing into the ocean & fountains of lava in the rift zones there should be some good nighttime viewing opportunities.

Although the decision whether to go there could be a financial decision made at headquarters. I haven’t heard about any cruise ship sailing past the volcanic activity including NCL’s POA. Since canceling Hilo & Kona they are only going as far as Maui. There are several factors considered & they’re undoubtedly continuously assessing this evolving situation.

A lot depends on wind. The evening we went by, it was very still. Every once in a while we could see more, but it would quickly disappear. This was about 2 to 4 weeks after the large shell fell off and lava was still poring out the side of the cliff straight into the ocean.

I don't disagree that The Big Island and the city of Hilo have interesting things to see and do. I have enjoyed my visits there and have found the residents to be pleasant. Except for one: a Hilo port employee who was rude and very guest-unfriendly as I was returning to my HAL ship from a tour. I know it probably shouldn't, but it does: this very unpleasant experience "colors" my view of my most recent visit to Hilo.

2 days (or more) in Kauai or Maui would be OK for me. If one cannot get to Volcano National Park from Hilo, there isn't much reason to stop there, in my opinion.

You are kidding right. Big Island is the best of all IMHO. You can take Waikiki and give me big island any day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This may answer the question:

"Princess Cruises said its 2,000-passenger Sea Princess would drop a visit to the Big Island port of Hilo scheduled for Friday and instead spend the day at sea."

Well that's disappointing I'm sure. After having 5 sea days, a 6th just doesn't kick it. Oh well, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

You are kidding right. Big Island is the best of all IMHO. You can take Waikiki and give me big island any day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, I am not kidding. You seemed to have mentioned my preference for Kauai and Maui. Surely agree that Waikiki reminds me of Miami Beach transplanted from Florida. But, there is much to enjoy on Ohau: the Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbor and tours related to the WW II history of that site, and lunch in the beachfront restaurant of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.

• 3 weeks later...
Kona. (yn):tropical-drink:

That’s doubtful because as stated in the news article link just before your post even NCL has suspended their weekly stops at Kona & Hilo until further notice due to the volcanic eruption.

I was looking at our itinerary..My guess would be an overnight in Honolulu, but since that would require porting, I would think an overnight would have to be planned well in advance. Prayers going out to those on the Big Island.

Even NCL which cruised to the Big Island weekly is dropping all calls there at both Hilo and Kona.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2018/06/05/hawaii-volcano-norwegian-cruise-line-drops-calls-big-island/673806002/

Obviously, a necessary thing to do (I hear air quality is the problem at Kona--wind blows east to west on the Big Island--so they're getting a lot of "bad" air), but hard on the Big Island's economy. I hear hotels, etc. are suffering, as well. I believe that some corps. have cancelled meetings/events scheduled for Kona (and north) hotels.

We've been to the Big Island a number of times and it was sad to read that Kapaho Bay that we visited in the greater Pahoa area has been completely filled with lava!

Obviously, a necessary thing to do (I hear air quality is the problem at Kona--wind blows east to west on the Big Island--so they're getting a lot of "bad" air), but hard on the Big Island's economy. I hear hotels, etc. are suffering, as well. I believe that some corps. have cancelled meetings/events scheduled for Kona (and north) hotels.

We've been to the Big Island a number of times and it was sad to read that Kapaho Bay that we visited in the greater Pahoa area has been completely filled with lava!

Our local news coverage shows vog forecast maps which results in bad air quality in the Hawaiian islands. Tradewinds generally blow the vog southwest of the islands but even then an eddy of vog can circulate on the west coast of the Big Island which includes Kona. Without tradewinds the vog can creep up the island chain to Maui & further north to affect those with health issues. Recently there have been nearly daily 5.5 quakes at the Kilauea summit & damage to Volcanoes NP (road damage, no water) may keep it closed for a long time even after the current eruptive phase ends. The East Rift zone has been active for over 35 years but not always as severe as now.

Sadly even unaffected businesses are being adversely affected including those on the other islands for land based visits. Cruise lines have to consider all possibilities for passenger safety which has resulted in the decision to not go to the Big Island until further notice.

Thankfully there hasn't been an explosive pyroclastic flow which has killed so many people in Guatemala. :(

Our local news coverage shows vog forecast maps which results in bad air quality in the Hawaiian islands. Tradewinds generally blow the vog southwest of the islands but even then an eddy of vog can circulate on the west coast of the Big Island which includes Kona. Without tradewinds the vog can creep up the island chain to Maui & further north to affect those with health issues. Recently there have been nearly daily 5.5 quakes at the Kilauea summit & damage to Volcanoes NP (road damage, no water) may keep it closed for a long time even after the current eruptive phase ends. The East Rift zone has been active for over 35 years but not always as severe as now.

Sadly even unaffected businesses are being adversely affected including those on the other islands for land based visits. Cruise lines have to consider all possibilities for passenger safety which has resulted in the decision to not go to the Big Island until further notice.

Thankfully there hasn't been an explosive pyroclastic flow which has killed so many people in Guatemala. :(

My brother lives on the Big Island and is a boat captain and goes out of Kona. I spoke with him the other day. He said he has seen some vog but for the most part he doesn't. Thankfully his house is 2 hours away and he isn't bothered by anything.

It's certainly hurting the tourism business and all things involved over there. He said one of the big hotels have had some big conventions cancel. People are even canceling their trip to Honolulu over this.

Since my son is on Oahu and my brother and family are on the Big Island, I always follow all the local news and it's just something to read. Today in the Star Advertiser they said that the lava has claimed nearly 500 homes in lower Puna. Just awful.

My brother lives on the Big Island and is a boat captain and goes out of Kona. I spoke with him the other day. He said he has seen some vog but for the most part he doesn't. Thankfully his house is 2 hours away and he isn't bothered by anything.

It's certainly hurting the tourism business and all things involved over there. He said one of the big hotels have had some big conventions cancel. People are even canceling their trip to Honolulu over this.

Since my son is on Oahu and my brother and family are on the Big Island, I always follow all the local news and it's just something to read. Today in the Star Advertiser they said that the lava has claimed nearly 500 homes in lower Puna. Just awful.

I couldn't believe the before and after pictures of Kapoho Bay after just one day.

I am relying on the USGS/Hawaii web site for updates about the eruption. I called Princess and was told that they will not make any firm decisions about ports and/or excursions until August or so. I agree with some comments that we need to be sensitive to what the residents are going through.

Today in the Star Advertiser they said that the lava has claimed nearly 500 homes in lower Puna. Just awful.

Hawaii News Now just updated the number: :(

600 homes confirmed destroyed on Big Island as state pledges new aid”

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38344763/its-saddening-massive-river-of-lava-wipes-out-hundreds-of-homes

Hawaii News Now just updated the number: :(

600 homes confirmed destroyed on Big Island as state pledges new aid”

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38344763/its-saddening-massive-river-of-lava-wipes-out-hundreds-of-homes

Yikes!! Dealing with natural disasters is so stressful. Lord knows when any of this will be over. The financial impact to the island is awful. I totally get why the cruise ships are staying away for now. Hopefully this isn't something long term.

Are you in Maui now?!! I would love to get some info to give my son. He is looking to come over before he PCS's off of Oahu (Army) to go to Captain's career course in the Fall.

Yikes!! Dealing with natural disasters is so stressful. Lord knows when any of this will be over. The financial impact to the island is awful. I totally get why the cruise ships are staying away for now. Hopefully this isn't something long term.

Are you in Maui now?!! I would love to get some info to give my son. He is looking to come over before he PCS's off of Oahu (Army) to go to Captain's career course in the Fall.

It’s so tragic.

We divide our time between Maui & SoCal but we’re currently on the Mainland before our upcoming Europe cruise. We keep updated by going to the Hawaii News Now app to watch live local news. If I could assist your Army officer son then email me: Astro_Flyer@msn.com (underscore between names)