Temperature and Humidity during exursions

Us Folks

My sisters and I are taking our elderly, heat sensitive Mother on the Pride of America cruise in early December. Mom has raised concerns about the heat and humidity causing her problems. She gets overheated easily and becomes weak and nauseous. Our question is two-fold, how hot and humid does it actually feel like during the day and at the popular excursion sites is there ability to gain access to AC at the different sites. I've heard that almost everything is outdoors, because lets face it, we are visiting Hawaii to see the beautiful landscapes. I'd hate for her to have to see Hawaii from the inside of an air conditioned tour bus. I think she would be okay if she could stay mostly in the shade and if there is a breeze blowing. Any thoughts?

My sisters and I are taking our elderly, heat sensitive Mother on the Pride of America cruise in early December. Mom has raised concerns about the heat and humidity causing her problems. She gets overheated easily and becomes weak and nauseous. Our question is two-fold, how hot and humid does it actually feel like during the day and at the popular excursion sites is there ability to gain access to AC at the different sites. I've heard that almost everything is outdoors, because lets face it, we are visiting Hawaii to see the beautiful landscapes. I'd hate for her to have to see Hawaii from the inside of an air conditioned tour bus. I think she would be okay if she could stay mostly in the shade and if there is a breeze blowing. Any thoughts?
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Hawaii/humidity-by-month.php

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Humidity isn't as big of a problem in Hawaii as it is in, say, the Caribbean. There is ALWAYS a wind....sometimes, it's a breeze, but more often it's windy....Our last trip was in April, and I was chilly the entire time, because of the wind!

Humidity isn't as big of a problem in Hawaii as it is in, say, the Caribbean. There is ALWAYS a wind....sometimes, it's a breeze, but more often it's windy....Our last trip was in April, and I was chilly the entire time, because of the wind!

I am going to guess you haven't been there in September/October. Last September when were on Maui it was about 90 and the humidity was in the 60s. It all depends on the weather pattern. And the amount of wind will depend on where you are, and time of day. And that is based on 30 visits in the last 20 or so years, including 2 this year, one in October.

That being said, December will be relatively speaking, one of the cooler months, although the temps don't vary widely. I would be more concerned with the issue of the OP's mother coming from a cooler or cold climate, and adapting to the Hawaii temps.

Our question is two-fold, how hot and humid does it actually feel like during the day and at the popular excursion sites is there ability to gain access to AC at the different sites.

We would be pleased to tell you what we can about the places you want to visit on Maui if that would be any help, and you do have many people on this Message Board who have experience visiting all over the State. To get more specific comments from everyone, where would you like to tour on each island?

Yes, December is a great month to visit and it is indeed one of the cooler months. (Though winter is the "rainy" season, it's also whale season). You are not likely to encounter bad humidity.

The worst humidity occurs when the normal tradewinds stop blowing due to a wind coming up from the southeast, called a Kona wind. These are random and can occur any time of year.

Just providing some additional info. You're most likely to have great weather. Have a fun trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Following this thread - we too are taking our elderly mother in early Dec on POA, and while my mothers health in general is good, she also can't take the heat or humidity at all, and have been wondering myself what tours or excursions would be good for her. While we have not yet planned any excursions, we were going to start looking in the next few weeks.

December is a great month to visit for those who do not like more heat and humidity. Sometimes I wish it were a bit warmer in December. And, it is not unusual to see people with an umbrella for shade. Your Mother can take a fold up umbrella with her and open it when she feels the sun too hot. And, there are some wonderful items that you can chill and put around your neck to help with overheating. Also make sure you have plenty of water and a spritzing bottle with a fan can cool you down quickly. Clothing that "breathes" is very helpful. You are all going to have a great time. Cherie

Edited by cccole

• 3 weeks later...

In early December, temps will range from mid-70's to low-80's. It will be cooler at higher elevations. The hot and humid months are August through October. December isn't humid on the dry sides of the islands. You will likely run into rain on the wet sides.

Amazon sells a USB rechargeable fan that is not too large or heavy to carry with you. It can be recharged from the same charger you might carry with you for your phone. If it's not needed you can leave it in the van or bus. It really helps a lot to have a breeze blowing in your face if you feel overheated.