RC Allure vs NCL Escape

megann831

same itinerary, Escape is about $1000 more but offers drink package, OBC, and shore excursions that just about make up the difference. Kids are 1. 6. and 9. We like activities like roap course, pool, games, could care less about dinning. Which would you do?

I believe that excursion credit is only $50 per cabin per port, and booking through the ship with the credit will probably be more expensive than if you book it on your own. You can’t combine it, and it’s use it or lose it. Does Allure have a nursery? I’m not sure if allure has a splash area for swim diapers, Escape does not. You will pay about $200 in gratuity for the drinks package.

how much drinking will you be doing with 3 kids to keep track of? Or at least one 1 yo?

It wouldn't be worth it to me.

I am going on Allure with our 8 yo because it offers so much in terms of family activities, and I could always use $1K for something else.

how much drinking will you be doing with 3 kids to keep track of? Or at least one 1 yo?

The NCL escape is the only ship on Norwegian with a drop off nursery for ages 6 months - 3 years, so they might have free time to drink. For my husband and I personally, we also wouldn't drink enough to justify the fees associated with a "free" NCL beverage package, and wouldn't choose this perk. The shore excursion credit wouldn't save us any money over private tours, which are much better with three kids (unless your tours are of the bus to a beach variety, which might be fine through a cruise line although you'll have some difficulties if one of your kids needs to go back early). We always try to book private excursions so we can control the itinerary, and can return to the ship early if necessary. But we generally visit cities where we make a lot of stops, so that could be different from the OP's plans.

According to RC's website:

Nursery drop off not available on: Empress, Majesty, Jewel, Adventure, Explorer or Voyager of the Seas. so I think the OP would have an option for a drop off nursery on both ships he or she is considering.

The problem with the NCL perks are that the Friends and Families sail free doesn't apply to all sailings, and as noted above there are a lot of mandatory tip fees associated with the unlimited drink package. There's also the 250 free wifi minutes and specialty dining package, but the latter wouldn't be useful for the OP (it would be for me, but only applies to guests one and two. Children ordering off the main menu in a specialty restaurant are charged a full fee for their meal, although they are free if ordering off the kids menu). None of these perks would justify an extra 1,000 for my family but it might be valued differently by a different family.

same itinerary, Escape is about $1000 more but offers drink package, OBC, and shore excursions that just about make up the difference. Kids are 1. 6. and 9. We like activities like roap course, pool, games, could care less about dinning. Which would you do?

Please share your experience with these two cruises. Is the kids club or activities better on one vs the other. My older two will probably use the kids club, the baby will hang out with us while we drink :eek: Judge if you want, I just want to have fun!

Please share your experience with these two cruises. Is the kids club or activities better on one vs the other. My older two will probably use the kids club, the baby will hang out with us while we drink :eek: Judge if you want, I just want to have fun!

well, I haven't been on either ship, but my 7 yo kid doesn't do kid's club, so he usually goes everywhere with us. Happy hour and bingo included.

He's been cruising since he was 3... So, I am not judging when a kid hangs out with you while you are drinking, but the question is - is the drink package worth it, if you are not going to max it out? :evilsmile:

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on both ships. Allure is a better experience except for one (HUGE FOR US) factor. My oldest was not tall enough or heavy enough for the activities on Allure until he was 11 and having a bunch of really cool stuff you can not do, is not a vacation for my family. So. That said, look at both ships offerings and the age, height, and weight of your kids and see how many of the cool things they will be able to do.

For the $1000 you'd be saving booking Allure, you can get your drinks, and DIY in ports! With little kids, DIY days put everything on YOUR schedule....just a thought! A bit of research into your ports can save you money and give you a great time!