Dressing Kids Up For Dinner

vacationlover16

This will be our first cruise with our kids (ages 4 & 6). My husband and I typically get dressed up for dinner (nothing extra fancy but nice) and I would like to continue the same with our kids. But we will want to take them to the kids club after dinner so we can enjoy a few hours of adult time. How easy is this to pull off? I would want to change their clothes obviously before taking them to the kids club. Do other parents do this? Am I missing something I should consider. We have anytime dining. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DS has been cruising since he was 3. We don't dress him up. The most he's been "dressed up" in in MDR is a polo shirt from Target/Kohl's and khaki pants that he wears to school.

Some cruise lines offer a service where the kids club staff will pick your kids up from the MDR and then take them to the kid's club. Other than that - it takes a whole 10 minutes to walk back to your cabin after dinner, change your kids and take them to the kid's club.

P.S. DS doesn't do kid's club, so he spends all dinners with us in MDR. He is 7.5 yo now.

I don't think it's a big deal to dress them up and then change them before kids club. Can you bring their change of clothes with you and change them back to comfy clothes in a restroom on the way to kids club?

I think it would be nice to have photos with everyone a little bit dressed up.

You could always just do dressier shirts if it's boys (short sleeve collared button up) like from h&m or a dressier looking cotton dress if it's girls (something with a bit of embroidery, embellishment, or a dressier cardigan over a simple dress).

As for whether other parents do this, I couldn't say but I know I will be doing this on our next cruise when our kids will be 2,4, and 6. I want the nice photos before and at dinner and I want them to be comfortable afterward if they end up in the kid's club

I wouldn't worry about dressing them up too much for dinner. It's gotten pretty casual...a nice pair of shorts and clean shirt should suffice for dinner ANY the after dinner activities.

If you want a "special" photo, do it one evening...then you can have them change.

My youngest was 2 when we started cruising and I always dressed them for dinner. We had him back in the room by 4 from camp for a nap and a 530 shower. On casual evenings he went into a polo and shorts/kakhis and on elegant a shirt and tie and slacks. We had fixed seating but the following can also be implemented with YTD if you ask for the same server each night. We went to dinner at 6, and the staff had a fruit plate and their milks ready. They ordered their entrée and ate it while we had appetizers, and dessert while we had entrée. Then one of us walked them to camp (with a stop at the room for a quick change if needed) while the other stayed in the MDR and ordered dessert.

Carnival has gotten a lot more causal over the years, so I don't make them wear shirt and tie anymore, but I do make them wear a dress shirt (not a polo) and slacks on elegant night, and on casual, I will allow them to wear nice jeans or shorts and a polo. Sadly, my kids are dressed nicer than many of the adult men...but it is also teaching them to dress for the occasion.

I don't think it's a big deal to dress them up and then change them before kids club. Can you bring their change of clothes with you and change them back to comfy clothes in a restroom on the way to kids club?

I think it would be nice to have photos with everyone a little bit dressed up.

You could always just do dressier shirts if it's boys (short sleeve collared button up) like from h&m or a dressier looking cotton dress if it's girls (something with a bit of embroidery, embellishment, or a dressier cardigan over a simple dress).

As for whether other parents do this, I couldn't say but I know I will be doing this on our next cruise when our kids will be 2,4, and 6. I want the nice photos before and at dinner and I want them to be comfortable afterward if they end up in the kid's club

Thank you! I hadn’t thought of changing them in a nearby restroom! Great idea! I definitely want photos which is another reason I want to dress them a little nicer!

DS has been cruising since he was 3. We don't dress him up. The most he's been "dressed up" in in MDR is a polo shirt from Target/Kohl's and khaki pants that he wears to school.

Some cruise lines offer a service where the kids club staff will pick your kids up from the MDR and then take them to the kid's club. Other than that - it takes a whole 10 minutes to walk back to your cabin after dinner, change your kids and take them to the kid's club.

P.S. DS doesn't do kid's club, so he spends all dinners with us in MDR. He is 7.5 yo now.

Thank you so much for the response!

My youngest was 2 when we started cruising and I always dressed them for dinner. We had him back in the room by 4 from camp for a nap and a 530 shower. On casual evenings he went into a polo and shorts/kakhis and on elegant a shirt and tie and slacks. We had fixed seating but the following can also be implemented with YTD if you ask for the same server each night. We went to dinner at 6, and the staff had a fruit plate and their milks ready. They ordered their entrée and ate it while we had appetizers, and dessert while we had entrée. Then one of us walked them to camp (with a stop at the room for a quick change if needed) while the other stayed in the MDR and ordered dessert.

Carnival has gotten a lot more causal over the years, so I don't make them wear shirt and tie anymore, but I do make them wear a dress shirt (not a polo) and slacks on elegant night, and on casual, I will allow them to wear nice jeans or shorts and a polo. Sadly, my kids are dressed nicer than many of the adult men...but it is also teaching them to dress for the occasion.

Thank you! This is great advice! It seems cruising with the kids opens up scenarios we hadn’t had to consider but I’m so excited for them to experience cruising!

I'm not overdoing it for our daughter. She will be 2; doesnt wear dresses often so dont want her to be uncomfortable wearing frilly stuff. Got some (clearance) simple sundresses, and tops/nice shorts or tops/capri pants at Marshalls.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your response!

I wouldn't worry about dressing them up too much for dinner. It's gotten pretty casual...a nice pair of shorts and clean shirt should suffice for dinner ANY the after dinner activities.

If you want a "special" photo, do it one evening...then you can have them change.

Great! Thank you for the response!

My kid age 15 and 5 dressed up every night for dinner. I spent weeks( which I enjoyed) coordinating matching formal attire for each of us for professional pictures each evening. After dinner the kids and I would change and continue on with our evening.

We have some amazingly beautiful pictures from the experience and I am so glad we dressed up.

So, to answer your question, yes this can be done.

My kid age 15 and 5 dressed up every night for dinner. I spent weeks( which I enjoyed) coordinating matching formal attire for each of us for professional pictures each evening. After dinner the kids and I would change and continue on with our evening.

We have some amazingly beautiful pictures from the experience and I am so glad we dressed up.

So, to answer your question, yes this can be done.

Thank you so much! That’s what I’m wanting to do, especially with my daughter. It’s very helpful to hear from someone who has done it & felt it was worth it and not too cumbersome!

My kids and I dress up often at home, so dressing up for dinner on the cruise didn't feel like a chore. I threw in items that we already had a home that were color coordinated. My daughter is 5 and my son turned 15 on the cruise. Dressing up added to the elegance of the ship and the ambiance of the restaurants. After dinner we were back in casual clothing. Here are a few of our dress up pics:

formal%20nite%202-M.jpg

formal%20nite%201-M.jpg

29437904-S.jpg

IMG_0297-M.jpg

IMG_0295-S.jpg

IMG_0226-M.jpg

• Like 4

My kids and I dress up often at home, so dressing up for dinner on the cruise didn't feel like a chore. I threw in items that we already had a home that were color coordinated. My daughter is 5 and my son turned 15 on the cruise. Dressing up added to the elegance of the ship and the ambiance of the restaurants. After dinner we were back in casual clothing. Here are a few of our dress up pics:

formal%20nite%202-M.jpg

formal%20nite%201-M.jpg

29437904-S.jpg

IMG_0297-M.jpg

IMG_0295-S.jpg

IMG_0226-M.jpg

These are so cute! You have a beautiful family! Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

We our sailing with out 2yr old granddaughter in Sept. I plan on dressing her for dinner and taking ton of pictures. Hoping this is a start to a wonderful tradition of vacations with her.

I hope you all have a great time & have many wonderful memories! My kids have been on beach vacations, mountain vacations and Disney World but this is their first cruise. My husband and I have done all inclusives as well. This will be my 7th cruise and my husband’s 5th or so and cruises are my absolute favorite type of vacation so I’m hoping the kids will love it as much as I do! It will be a great way to show them the world!

My children dress up for dinner, including tuxes and fancy dresses on formal nights. After dinner, if they wanted to change (sometimes they preferred to stay dressed up), we would simply go back to the room they would do a quick change and then we’d continue on to the kids clubs. It was easy to do.

My children dress up for dinner, including tuxes and fancy dresses on formal nights. After dinner, if they wanted to change (sometimes they preferred to stay dressed up), we would simply go back to the room they would do a quick change and then we’d continue on to the kids clubs. It was easy to do.

Thank you for sharing!

My kids and I dress up often at home, so dressing up for dinner on the cruise didn't feel like a chore. Here are a few of our dress up pics:

A

Absolutely adore your pictures!! Your taste is impeccable and your children precious. There’s just something a bit more special about dressing up and it shows in your faces!

IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.accbe3dc795ff1c7a7ac34343a7d8e12.JPG

7ed4b693e4b9c0c7acc39946becb0bc1.jpg

6281170bb0a890ac4429dae84f8f475b.jpgIMG_4812.thumb.JPG.17779f8f9c273424b8430c184a6c7a60.JPG

These are typical cruise outfits for our twins. They coordinate and are nicer than typical school clothes, but comfortable enough to wear to Camp Carnival! Ours never want to take the time to change! We don't do ultra-formal anymore...it just isn't our style.

My kids and I dress up often at home, so dressing up for dinner on the cruise didn't feel like a chore. Here are a few of our dress up pics:

A

Honestly before I scrolled to your post with the photos I was wondering why you waste so much time but your photos are really spectacular and will be a real keepsake. You should be proud. You have inspired me to maybe do the same at least one night on our next cruise.

• Like 1

[ATTACH]427296[/ATTACH]

6281170bb0a890ac4429dae84f8f475b.jpg[ATTACH]427297[/ATTACH]

These are typical cruise outfits for our twins. They coordinate and are nicer than typical school clothes, but comfortable enough to wear to Camp Carnival! Ours never want to take the time to change! We don't do ultra-formal anymore...it just isn't our style.

Beautiful Pics!!

• Like 1

[ATTACH]427296[/ATTACH]

6281170bb0a890ac4429dae84f8f475b.jpg[ATTACH]427297[/ATTACH]

Thank you for sharing! These are so cute! Seeing the pictures posted in this thread are making me more & more excited to dress the kids up!

• Like 1