Typical Seabourn Cruiser Age?

greencardwpb

• 3 years later...

Brining "new life" to this thread... My partner and myself are looking to take our first real cruise.  Both have been on 3-night party cruises years ago, once, and it was not a great experience. Our ages are mid 30s-low 40s.  We're both very big into travel and love to mix relaxing with exploring, so it seems like a Mediterranean cruise would be a good option... Over the past year or so have become fond of "luxury" travel, particularly at high end hotels like the Four Seasons.  From my cruise research it seems like all the luxury lines skew towards older ages (60s-70s), but Seabourn maybe seems to attract somewhat younger, especially on shorter cruises in the Med.  We're not looking for a crazy party vacation by any means, but we just don't want to feel like we're in an old age home.  Honestly, one of my favorite activity right now is hanging out with my baby-boomer aged parents - their generation is probably more fun and crazy than mine.  So I don't suspect age will be an issue, but wanted to see if there is any more recent insight.  Any commentary you have to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Ciao Yacht

Can only speak from our first sailing on Seabourn in January (prior to the world shutting down)

Off-season (mid Jan for the Caribbean) but our sailing was a very diverse mix of ages and nationalities (more they half were Brits from across the pond). We are mid-50's and let's just say...there is no going back to the mainstream lines (we have 14 sailings under our belts on Carnival/Holland, RC, Celebrity). We were / are totally hooked. What you describe you are looking for (and yes our preferred and all of our recent hotel stays have also been at the Four Seasons) is exactly what you will experience on Seabourn. You will not feel like you are in an old age home esp if you are choosing a 7-10 night sailing when there would be a fair majority of folks who are still working vs a longer sailing 10+ nights which would definitely skew older for not only Seabourn but all other lines.

I am sure other posters will respond - this is a fantastic board - very positive and honest board / posters!

I would say go for it - you will not be disappointed. This Tuesday they are having their Black Friday Sale - so may be able to score a good deal 😉

Bob

• Like 3

I highly suggest booking a trip.  I was 44 when I checked out Seabourn the first time. The passenger mix is interesting, well traveled and will be welcoming to you. Most likely you will be among the youngest on board, we had no problem with that. We love the relaxed, friendly atmosphere of the ship. It tends to be quiet after 9:30 ish but we stay pretty busy in the daytime and are happy just to relax at the bar and meet up with people. We love the “ Caviar in the surf”, trivia, the Seabourn Square. The size of the ships are nice. We bounce between  Regent and Seabourn depending on itinerary but we have more bookings the next two years with Seabourn. I think for the med Seabourn total pricing a bit better. I will warn you that once you dabble in the luxury experience it is very hard to go back. Once again, if I were you I would grab a suite. BTW ever the lowest suites are wonderful, all service is the same.

e also we not into the party atmosphere of thr

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The first time we ever sailed on a luxury cruise line (Crystal) was for my 40th birthday.  I’m now 56 with 5 Crystal cruises under our belt and 2 Seabourn cruises under our belt.  We have a Crystal cruise scheduled for January, and a Seabourn cruise scheduled for the end of May.  Hubby is 3 years older than me.  I’ve never felt uncomfortable on any of our luxury cruises.  Sure, when we were younger we were definitely on of the youngest on board.  But speaking with more seasoned travelers was wonderful for us and has guided us on our travels along the way.  

We still continued to cruise with our kids on Disney (our favorite for families…6 times) and once with Celebrity and once with Royal Caribbean.  We are empty nesters now, so only luxury cruising for us!

Ages mostly 40s to 70s.  Started on SB 20 years ago, when we were mid 40s - on the younger side of the demo.  You will find an occasional couple in their 20s, maybe straggles in their 30s, but not many. Ages vary  depending on length of cruise (shorter duration gets younger demo as they usually have limited time off from work).  Alaska cruise we found had younger demo as it was marketed as more of a venture cruise.  But age kind of disappears on board as we have found really fun older people and really boring young people.  My mom, at the age of 90, and her 81 year old partner, switched from SB and SS to Crystal several years ago because they found SB and SS too boring and they like dancing cruises and more activity.  And she was always the last one in the bar at night.

• Like 1

We were often among the youngest when we started sailing on Seabourn - no longer the case after a lot of cruises.  Age does not matter, we have met many people who are 10+ or more older than we are and keep in regular touch with and one of the best ever couples we had a great time with on multiple cruises were 30 years older than we are.  I don't think it has anything to do with age, it is acceptance and attitude.  People on Seabourn are generally very friendly and out going, unlike a cruise we did on Crystal where unless you were a long time cruiser most snubbed you.    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, travelwell said:

We unfortunately had the same experience with the people on Crystal. Might have changed since open seating. Crystals ships old and our Veranda room very small compared to Regent and Seabourn and suite definite showed age.

My mom (age 90 and going strong) and her 81 year old partner (who I like to refer to as her boy toy) switched to Crystal several years ago for the dance cruises.  She had been cruising SB and SS since the early 1990s and has since found them lacking in activities.  So age is often just a number.  She is more interested in activities than her suite as that is just a place for her to sleep.  To each their own.  

Edited by Hobar