Quest, 1st July Dover to Dover

lincslady

I am also hoping for the continued good weather for July 16th Cruise. I am intending to write a report as we sail along, as long as the Internet co operates!

Well I’ll chip in or start my own too if you’d prefer. Perhaps we can do a route of the vikings live on board thread like the Alaska and Antarctica previous ones. It will probably be useful as they are doing it in 2019 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Galeforce I think that is a great idea. You start it and when we board in early August in Reykjavik I’ll continue it (hopefully with the help of others on our segment of the Vikings cruise).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Galeforce I think that is a great idea. You start it and when we board in early August in Reykjavik I’ll continue it (hopefully with the help of others on our segment of the Vikings cruise).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Chairsin. Now set up!!

Currently on the Quest July 1st sailing. Enjoying beautiful warm weather. In the Scilly Islands today. Captain is Alex Golubev and CD is Jan Stearman. Our first cruise on Seabourn and we are certainly enjoying ourselves. Food has been delicious so far. Trying Thomas Keller tonight.

Currently on the Quest July 1st sailing. Enjoying beautiful warm weather. In the Scilly Islands today. Captain is Alex Golubev and CD is Jan Stearman. Our first cruise on Seabourn and we are certainly enjoying ourselves. Food has been delicious so far. Trying Thomas Keller tonight.

Fantastic. Would be grateful for more reports as we approach 16 July and our boarding. Good to hear of the excellent food. Jan is lovely and captain Alex was the second captain on our Antarctic trip last December

I’d love to visit the scilly isles. Hope you had a warm welcome and white sand beaches with crystal waters.

Where’s the next stop?

Good to hear from you, SkystheLimit. You are getting fabulous weather so far, I think. Do report more - if and when you have time - and hoping others will chip in as well. You have got a lovely CD there in Jan - she has been with Seabourn for a long long time!

Some Seabourn regulars might know Van and Ron - two highly conspicuous-looking cruisers. We encountered them on the Quest in Antarctica and South Georgia earlier this year. Van is gregarious and highly cultivated; and that's just his beard. Ron is more reserved, even shy. Van writes a blog and he was aboard the Quest from Iceland to Dover. His very entertaining blog is here -

https://vango.dreamwidth.org

Some Seabourn regulars might know Van and Ron - two highly conspicuous-looking cruisers. We encountered them on the Quest in Antarctica and South Georgia earlier this year. Van is gregarious and highly cultivated; and that's just his beard. Ron is more reserved, even shy. Van writes a blog and he was aboard the Quest from Iceland to Dover. His very entertaining blog is here -

Yes Fletcher, they were on the Cape Town R/T Christmas/NY cruise with us in 2014. I didn't know about their blog. Thanks for posting.

Edited to add - Good to see Nick Botha on the Quest. I saw him on Sojourn in December but only briefly, not sure what his role is now with SB. I thought he'd gone to Viking?

Edited by Isklaar

Yes Fletcher, they were on the Cape Town R/T Christmas/NY cruise with us in 2014. I didn't know about their blog. Thanks for posting.

Edited to add - Good to see Nick Botha on the Quest. I saw him on Sojourn in December but only briefly, not sure what his role is now with SB. I thought he'd gone to Viking?

Nick is the Guest Services Manager.

Nick is the Guest Services Manager.

Thanks Roxburgh. Do you know if his role changed some time after the Holiday cruise? I know you were on Sojourn earlier this year. It's just that he wasn't particularly visible on our cruise and I have a feeling he was involved in a training/HR role then, so 'back office' if you like. Glad to hear he's now in a more guest-focused role but still miss him in the MDR!

Edited by Isklaar
grammar!

Thanks Roxburgh. Do you know if his role changed some time after the Holiday cruise? I know you were on Sojourn earlier this year. It's just that he wasn't particularly visible on our cruise and I have a feeling he was involved in a training/HR role then, so 'back office' if you like. Glad to hear he's now in a more guest-focused role but still miss him in the MDR!

Yes, he was promoted from his training role to Guest Services Manager. We dined with him and Julian on our Sojourn cruise and he told me that he requested a move from Sojourn to Quest because he wanted a chance to go to the Antarctic.

I remember when he 'ran' the MDR and he was the best ever. He knew exactly what was going on in the restaurant and he knew who he could put with who when it came to sharing tables.

I also remember when he was a waiter

Yes, he was promoted from his training role to Guest Services Manager. We dined with him and Julian on our Sojourn cruise and he told me that he requested a move from Sojourn to Quest because he wanted a chance to go to the Antarctic.

I remember when he 'ran' the MDR and he was the best ever. He knew exactly what was going on in the restaurant and he knew who he could put with who when it came to sharing tables.

I also remember when he was a waiter

I'm glad that he's back with Seabourn. Agree completely about the MDR. We find that although they're always pleasant, the seating hostesses sometimes just don't 'get it' with regard to shared tables.

I'm glad that he's back with Seabourn. Agree completely about the MDR. We find that although they're always pleasant, the seating hostesses sometimes just don't 'get it' with regard to shared tables.

Could you elaborate on what the seating hostesses don’t get?

Thanks for the link. There are many pictures and short to the point sentences to go with them! This helps me with planning ( and current fun of course).

Could you elaborate on what the seating hostesses don’t get?

When guests are sharing tables - either two couples or three couple - it is a bit of an art putting people together who will get on and it requires the restaurant manager or the hostess to have a good knowledge of the guests and their 'idiosyncrasies'.

I recall one time we were seated with another couple. We got on terrifically, had a great evening and dined together a couple of times subsequently. As we left the restaurant, our new friends thanked the hostess for seating us together and the look of relief on her face was very evident.

Nick Botha was an absolute master of that art.

Dover is an annoyance. I am on a cruise which ends there and starts in Copenhagen. My solution is to drive to Heathrow, park our car, fly to Copenhagen, then take a taxi from Dover to Heathrow to pick up the car and drive home. In fact, I have booked this for £180 which is a reasonable rate. Seabourn was quoting way above that for a shared transfer.

To get from Central London to Dover you have two options. National Express bus from Victoria Coach Station to the ferry port/cruise terminal. Or a train - two options here, one from St Pancras and another from Victoria train station. The drawback to the train is that the station is a 25-minute walk to the cruise terminal. Personally, I'd take the bus. You must book in advance.

I'm sure others on here will have different ideas.

Edited by Fletcher

we will be heading to Dover next week (flying in from Oz) We fly Emirates who also include limo transfers before and after flights. When I checked the rules, I saw that Dover was a bit outside the allowable mileage, but after a phone call to Emirates, were told our "included" limo could take us to Dover for just an extra 25 pounds! This is a bargain! Until we got this sorted out, we were looking at the train option, although luggage on and off trains isn't the best....all the car transfers seemed dreadfully expensive.