Please Help an Old Lady Use Uber

packedandready

Dh and I will be flying into fll, staying overnight in Miami and sail from Miami and we'd like to use uber (first timers...uber, not cruising). To be honest, I'm a little nervous and have a few questions.

1. Should we tip the driver and if so, how much? I've had conflicting advice about this.

2. I downloaded the uber app about a year ago and linked it with paypay. Haven't donw anything with it since. Do I need to check anything to make sure everything is right?

3. We'll be using it from fll to Holiday Inn Port of Miami, Holiday Inn to the cruise port and then the cruise port back to fll. ANY information/tips is appreciated. I'm ASSUMING I wait till we get our luggage to call from fll. Should I preschedule for Holiday Inn to port since it's going to be a busy time? Any problems getting a car from the port back to the airport?

See...I do need help..................:o

We used Uber in Miami the first time we ever used it. It’s used so much there that when you are ready to go from one location to another, you key in the address of the next location and you’ll see all cars in the area, choose a size and price and lock it in.

You could practice in a town of any size by inputting an address and watching to see what pops up...just don’t hit the button to book it.

We went from Mia to the Intercontinental Miami. From the IC to South Beach and then South Beach Back. Our final one from the IC to the Port of Miami. Loved it.

When Uber first rolled out they didn't have tipping. They now do. I would tip around 10 to 15 percent.

I would wait for your luggage before you use it.

My biggest piece of advice is to just go slowly so you select the type of vehicle you want.

No need to preschedule anything at the Holiday Inn and always know that you can take a taxi.

Keith

Since you downloaded the app over a year ago, I would also check to make sure that the expiration date of the card you are using with the app is still valid and up to date. Otherwise, it will amaze you how easy it goes. You can follow the car’s progress as it makes it to you. You will get the drivers name and make of car and license plate to look for. When done, don’t forget to rate the driver on the app. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This might seem silly, but be sure you have your Internet access on. One time I had it in Airplane mode for the flight and could not figure out why it was not working in the baggage claim area.

It's easy to use at Miami airport. Look for the DOOR NUMBER when you walk out after getting your bags. You'll input that when you book your Uber. The app will ask you for it when booking at the airport automatically. Very simple. Then you walk out to the middle island area. The app will also tell you what kind of car is coming. Always confirm with the driver that it's YOUR driver before jumping in!

Miami airport is probably the best/easiest airport to use Uber since they don't make you go to some hard to find area (Looking at you, VEGAS!)

After each trip is completed, there's an opportunity to add a tip on the app.

Make sure you have "location" turned on in the settings.

Roz

This might seem silly, but be sure you have your Internet access on. One time I had it in Airplane mode for the flight and could not figure out why it was not working in the baggage claim area.

I did the same thing. ;)

Roz

We just returned home from our cruise. We flew into fort Lauderdale & I was very nervous about using Uber for the first time. I managed to muddle through it. I'm a senior also.

Follow the signs at the airport for share ride, limo, private transportation. It was a bit confusing for me when you get to end of the airport the arrows points to go straight....when you actually have to turn left & go out the doors then walk to your right....follow the signs. This is where Uber & Lyft pick up. Using the Uber app put in the address of your hotel. I had to choose what size of vehicle we wanted, I choose an Uber X holds 4 passengers. It turned out to be a Hyundia Elantra. Vehicle was large enough to hold our luggage 2 large & 1 small suitcases plus a couple of small bags. It should show the cost of the ride, car make, color & name & photo of driver. If you are satisfied, hit book it. Phone number should come up & you can contact the driver, which I did so the driver would know who to look for.

I hope this helps you....:)

For reference, our hotel to Miami cruise Port was $11.66 plus tip. We gave him $15 since we were so happy to be cruising. $1.50 would have been a proper tip though. Our hotel was The Epic, which is pretty near the port. I think the holiday inn is in the same region. Miami has 30,000 uber drivers. We waited one minute for driver to arrive after accessing the app.

Our friends “Ubered” without an Uber account. While they were waiting for a taxi to appear, an Uber driver dropped off his riders and beckoned my friends to ride with him. He charged them a flat rate if $15, so they agreed.

Dh and I will be flying into fll, staying overnight in Miami and sail from Miami and we'd like to use uber (first timers...uber, not cruising). To be honest, I'm a little nervous and have a few questions.

1. Should we tip the driver and if so, how much? I've had conflicting advice about this.

2. I downloaded the uber app about a year ago and linked it with paypay. Haven't donw anything with it since. Do I need to check anything to make sure everything is right?

3. We'll be using it from fll to Holiday Inn Port of Miami, Holiday Inn to the cruise port and then the cruise port back to fll. ANY information/tips is appreciated. I'm ASSUMING I wait till we get our luggage to call from fll. Should I preschedule for Holiday Inn to port since it's going to be a busy time? Any problems getting a car from the port back to the airport?

See...I do need help..................:o

After your ride go into the app - you'll have an option to rate your driver (1-5 stars) and add a tip - it will give you some standard options ($1, $2 and $5) or you can add a custom tip.

Expect the ride from FLL to your hotel and POM to FLL to cost about $35. The ride from your hotel to POM should be under $10

I would use the app on a test ride before you cruise, just to make sure that everything is okay. Verify that your credit card info in pay-pal is up to date.

Have a great cruise! Be sure to come back afterwards and post a review to let us know how it all worked out. ;)

For reference, our hotel to Miami cruise Port was $11.66 plus tip. We gave him $15 since we were so happy to be cruising. $1.50 would have been a proper tip though. Our hotel was The Epic, which is pretty near the port. I think the holiday inn is in the same region. Miami has 30,000 uber drivers. We waited one minute for driver to arrive after accessing the app.

Our friends “Ubered” without an Uber account. While they were waiting for a taxi to appear, an Uber driver dropped off his riders and beckoned my friends to ride with him. He charged them a flat rate if $15, so they agreed.

I should add, we used an Uber XL. Uber X would be cheaper.

If surge pricing is in effect though rates can go as high as 1.2x

Or 1.8x or 2.5x the normal Uber rates in certain locations

I don’t think surge rates will be a problem in Miami getting to the cruise port, as there are tons of Uber drivers, but surges can happen sometimes during peak periods in certain markets and when there are few drivers available.

Thank you OP for asking about Uber...We are also seniors and were not sure about how all of this Uber stuff worked.

Thank you to all that responded - I have now downloaded the Uber app and plan to use it in April!!

I don't think I saw it mentioned but do open up your Uber app prior to cruising just to make sure it's up to date. When you open it it should tell you if there have been any updates since you installed it and they should proceed to update automatically (or after you answer the prompt to do so). Enjoy! Uber and Lyft are both pretty easy to use and priced better than traditional taxis and almost always more convenient.

After your ride go into the app - you'll have an option to rate your driver (1-5 stars) and add a tip - it will give you some standard options ($1, $2 and $5) or you can add a custom tip.

Expect the ride from FLL to your hotel and POM to FLL to cost about $35. The ride from your hotel to POM should be under $10

I would use the app on a test ride before you cruise, just to make sure that everything is okay. Verify that your credit card info in pay-pal is up to date.

Have a great cruise! Be sure to come back afterwards and post a review to let us know how it all worked out. ;)

Another 'old lady' here with a question LOL

Do you have to have a pay-pal account? I thought that all you need is a credit card.

Another 'old lady' here with a question LOL

Do you have to have a pay-pal account? I thought that all you need is a credit card.

Either will work - some prefer the added layer of security that comes with using paypal.

You can follow the car’s progress as it makes it to you. You will get the drivers name and make of car and license plate to look for. When done, don’t forget to rate the driver on the app.
The app will also tell you what kind of car is coming. Always confirm with the driver that it's YOUR driver before jumping in!

Great advice to remember to check that the car that pulls up is in fact an Uber driver (and not just some random person) and also matches the driver and car/plate you are expecting. The driver will also have the name of who they are there to pick up.

It’s easy to sometimes get into a rush especially at the airport when there may be many people waiting for Uber cars. Have had it happen a couple of times where people started to get into the car that was there for us thinking it was theirs. Thinking they would have been in for quite a surprise when they wound up at their destination if they didn’t happen to be going where we were! :o

It really is a quick and easy way to get around once you get the hang of it!

so I have a question. If I want my driver to first stop at a grocery store to pick up wine before my cruise how do I let them know? My end destination is the port, do I just ask the driver if they will stop? I understand I'll pay for them to wait and all.

If surge pricing is in effect though rates can go as high as 1.2x

Or 1.8x or 2.5x the normal Uber rates in certain locations

I don’t think surge rates will be a problem in Miami getting to the cruise port, as there are tons of Uber drivers, but surges can happen sometimes during peak periods in certain markets and when there are few drivers available.

We have had surge rates 10x so it certainly can go up much higher.

so I have a question. If I want my driver to first stop at a grocery store to pick up wine before my cruise how do I let them know? My end destination is the port, do I just ask the driver if they will stop? I understand I'll pay for them to wait and all.

Ask the driver nicely and throwing in a couple of extra dollars would not hurt. Time is money.

We have had surge rates 10x so it certainly can go up much higher.

Ask the driver nicely and throwing in a couple of extra dollars would not hurt. Time is money.

Yikes! I had no idea surges could go that high! Hmm, that $7 pp shuttle from the Hyatt Place is looking better by the minute. [emoji2]

We tried to Uber back from Las Olas to Crown Plaza hotel by FLL. It was around $7 to get to Las Olas, but surge pricing for the return would have cost $18 to $21. It was only 4 pm. Guess all the drunks celebrating happy hour were summoning Uber.

We ended up yellow cabbing it for $12.