Long term parking - YUL

RickT

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but it seems as good a place as any.

I live close to YUL (home airport is YOW) and will sometimes choose to fly directly out of YUL to avoid an ugly connection. The past 2-3 times I did this I paid approx $98 Cdn for 2 weeks (most recent Aug 2016) at AEROPARC. Online today and best I can find even with a CAA discount is $198 for the same length of time. I am traveling at the end of July, 2018.

Anyone know of any good alternatives? I know some of the Airport hotels also offer parking for less however I am concerned that those parking lots are open and unprotected. I did notice the last time I booked parking I was much closer to the travel date and wonder if that has an impact however I checked dates closer to today and got the same $198.

Taking the Bus/Train to YUL isn't a good option.

Last time I flew out of YUL (home airport is YQB), we ended up renting a car both ways. Each rental was about $60, so cheaper than parking. And didn't have to worry about having my car in an unsecured parking lot.

I've looked at that but the cost from Ottawa to YUL is over $110 each way. Maybe it's because I'd be renting in one Province and dropping off in another. It wouldn't save me anything over driving my own vehicle and the hassle of renting a car would outweigh any benefit.

There are a couple hotels nearby that may work but I'd need to confirm how secure their parking lots are.

Hate it when an airline takes completely good connections and ruins them by changing flight times :mad:

I've looked at that but the cost from Ottawa to YUL is over $110 each way. Maybe it's because I'd be renting in one Province and dropping off in another. It wouldn't save me anything over driving my own vehicle and the hassle of renting a car would outweigh any benefit.

There are a couple hotels nearby that may work but I'd need to confirm how secure their parking lots are.

Hate it when an airline takes completely good connections and ruins them by changing flight times :mad:

Ouch, that is expensive.

As for airport hotels, the 2 I've stayed at most recently are the Courtyard and the Holiday Inn. I personally prefer the location of the Courtyard - less industrial, right off the 40, near lots of restaurants and a shopping mall. My aunt and uncle left their car there for 2 weeks when they flew to Cuba with no problems.

I’ve stayed at that Courtyard for work. Nice hotel but the parking lot is wide open and no security. I will consider it but since I don’t need a hotel it might not save me much over the regular parking lots.

Still have no idea why parking rates have increased so much since 2016. Been checking using my Airmiles discounts and my DW’s CAA. Ultimately I think paying too much for parking will still be better then a long layover (or the really short one they gave me which would mean missing my connection).

• 3 months later...

Just circling back with an update. Air Canada changed my connections again making them even worse. I did some searching and found the rates to park for $139 at Aeroparc A1 lot using my wife’s CAA membership. Not as good as few years ago but I’ll take it and it beats sitting around YUL for hours waiting to connect.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will find that the CAA rate is the best. The old Hilton used to have a great deal where you could leave your car for HH points but since the hotel changed hands the CAA rate is the best we could find. More often than not we have been flying from YOW and changing in YUL. I know it is a pain but we find it much better than changing in Toronto. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

My DD now lives in Ottawa . She has used Greyhound to fly out of YUL and was very happy. Every 2nd trip stops at the airport and leaves from 265 Catherine St . Much easier option then any other.

Edited by richstowe

My DD now lives in Ottawa . She has used Greyhound to fly out of YUL and was very happy. Every 2nd trip stops at the airport and leaves from 265 Catherine St . Much easier option then any other.

I've looked at that but at this point I found decently priced parking and am more in control of travel times. My flight has had a pretty poor on time performance so we may return at our scheduled time or an hour or two late. With the car in the parking lot at YUL we don't have to worry about when the next bus leaves. Good idea though.