Questions about using Delta Skymiles

Iamthesea

My husband and I want to use some Delta Skymiles for Domestic flights coming up in December. We have never used our Skymiles before. We are trying to make our upcoming Caribbean cruises as economical as possible. Paying for hotel with Visa points. ;)

QUESTIONS:

1 - We both have enough in each of our Skymile accounts for two tickets. But is that the way we should book the tickets...taking both out of one account? Or should we book the tickets separately?

Our fear of booking separately would be that after using the mile for one ticket, the mileage required could go higher for that second ticket. Plus, our reservations would not be linked.

On the other hand, if we book both tickets on one account (DH's), we would just use the other account (mine) for any future Skymiles flight we purchase. Any harm in that?

2 - When checking for the mileage required for our flights, do we sign in with a Skymiles number, or check first and then add the number(s)?

Last week, I did check the mileage needed, but did not sign in. I believe that I checked for 2 passengers flying. Normally, when I check for flight rates, I only use 1 Passenger on the form.

3 - Also, we want to book Delta Comfort Plus seats. Do we do that using the points, or do we book Economy, then check the seat choices and pay to upgrade to Comfort Plus?

4 - We are Gold Medallion, so have had opportunities for free upgrades. Would we have the same opportunities if we purchased our flights with Skymiles? Not a biggy...just wondering if we are flagged for not paying cash. :rolleyes:

Sorry that I sound so clueless...I am! :DThank you so much for any help given.

Our fear of booking separately would be that after using the mile for one ticket, the mileage required could go higher for that second ticket. Plus, our reservations would not be linked.

Absolutely true - this happened to us. Not only did my ticket require almost twice the mileage, but because they weren't linked my seat was moved to another part of the plane. :mad:

We always try to use just one account. Input the corresponding skymiles acct # and opt for using miles just follow the options including the comfort plus and price/book using two people...I find this easy to use and have had no trouble booking and choosing my C+ seats...However keep a close eye DL makes changes often and that affects timing and seating.

1 - We both have enough in each of our Skymile accounts for two tickets. But is that the way we should book the tickets...taking both out of one account? Or should we book the tickets separately? book both from one account. It's usually better to both be on one reservation, and you can't do that if you pull miles from 2 different accounts. Plus as you mentioned, there is risk of the redemption rate going up after the first ticket is purchased.

On the other hand, if we book both tickets on one account (DH's), we would just use the other account (mine) for any future Skymiles flight we purchase. Any harm in that? No

2 - When checking for the mileage required for our flights, do we sign in with a Skymiles number, or check first and then add the number(s)? You can do it either way, as far as I recall. I always like to be signed in first though. That way when I find the itinerary I want I can book it as quickly as possible.

3 - Also, we want to book Delta Comfort Plus seats. Do we do that using the points, or do we book Economy, then check the seat choices and pay to upgrade to Comfort Plus? You can book C+ right from the start if that's what you want. You may also be able to book regular economy and then use miles to upgrade, although I'm not sure what the advantage would be. I typically prefer exit row to C+ so don't have a lot of experience booking C+. You can also put yourself on the C+ upgrade list and hope for a complimentary C+ upgrade starting at 72 hours out for gold medallions.

4 - We are Gold Medallion, so have had opportunities for free upgrades. Would we have the same opportunities if we purchased our flights with Skymiles? Not a biggy...just wondering if we are flagged for not paying cash. :rolleyes: Award tickets are eligible for complimentary medallion upgrades. However, if there are other gold medallion members on the upgrade list, those booked in a higher fare class will be booked first. That likely means that those who paid cash would be upgraded before you. Honestly though, given the relative rarity for upgrades at the gold medallion level, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Sorry that I sound so clueless...I am! :DThank you so much for any help given.

Hope this helps!

Very helpful, Meg, and all! Thank you so much. :)

2 - When checking for the mileage required for our flights, do we sign in with a Skymiles number, or check first and then add the number(s)? You can do it either way, as far as I recall. I always like to be signed in first though. That way when I find the itinerary I want I can book it as quickly as possible.

Wondering again if a Skymiles mileage status could drive the redemption value up. :confused:

4 - We are Gold Medallion, so have had opportunities for free upgrades. Would we have the same opportunities if we purchased our flights with Skymiles? Not a biggy...just wondering if we are flagged for not paying cash. clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744 Award tickets are eligible for complimentary medallion upgrades. However, if there are other gold medallion members on the upgrade list, those booked in a higher fare class will be booked first. That likely means that those who paid cash would be upgraded before you. Honestly though, given the relative rarity for upgrades at the gold medallion level, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Good points! Though we have been upgraded before with Silver Skymiles. First and C+ seats.

Absolutely true - this happened to us. Not only did my ticket require almost twice the mileage, but because they weren't linked my seat was moved to another part of the plane. :mad:

Yikes! :eek:Glad I asked. I do wonder if when you ask for two tickets if the points to redeem are higher than for just one single ticket. I'll do a test for a flight and place we are not interested in, and without signing in. Would be interesting to know.

We always try to use just one account. Input the corresponding skymiles acct # and opt for using miles just follow the options including the comfort plus and price/book using two people...I find this easy to use and have had no trouble booking and choosing my C+ seats...However keep a close eye DL makes changes often and that affects timing and seating.

The reason that I asked this was because the price in miles might eat up more than those C+ seats are really worth. Usually, is not that much in $$ for an upgrade from Economy to C+, on a short Florida haul.

Where are you going and when in December?

What is the cost of a main cabin fare? Are you getting a good value for ff redemptions?

All that being said, use one ff account.

The fare charts often shows the number of available seats. If the chart says only one at X price then you will probably be subject to the next fare hike. The same notations could appear for a cash fare.

Another option is cash + miles. It's often not a good value but check it out anyway.

I assume you have been looking at the Delta website and I encourage you to delete your cookies and/or use two devices. Delta does have a 24 hour cancellation period.

We got some schedule changes for Oct./Nov. last Saturday during the weekly weekend schedule adjustment period. No changes yet for mid January but I anticipate those will show up before August rolls around.

Wondering again if a Skymiles mileage status could drive the redemption value up. :confused:

Often rumored, but never proven.

Good points! Though we have been upgraded before with Silver Skymiles. First and C+ seats.

Enjoy it when it happens!

Yikes! :eek:Glad I asked. I do wonder if when you ask for two tickets if the points to redeem are higher than for just one single ticket. I'll do a test for a flight and place we are not interested in, and without signing in. Would be interesting to know.

If there is only one ticket left in the lowest fare bucket, then both tickets (if purchased on the same reservation) would be pulled from the next highest fare bucket that has 2 tickets available. Usually the website will advise "only one ticket left at this price" though. That said, I have booked when it said "only 1 left" and immediately upon booking additional inventory was released and a 2nd ticket could be purchased separately for the same price. No guarantee obviously, but as someone said, if you try this and it doesn't work out, you have 24 hours to cancel the first ticket without penalty.

You can also transfer or "gift" miles to each other before you book that way you are only drawing from one account but use miles form both.

There is usually a cost involved to do so. Much easier and cheaper to do as the OP said, and use one person's account for both tickets, and use the other person's account for both tickets on some future trip.

Y'all have been so helpful!

alcpa1 - I always erase my cookies, but will also take your advice and book on DH's computer. ;)

I just tried another faux booking for dates close to mine in early December. The cost for these dates are a little higher than what I have been seeing for my dates.

37,000 points for Main - 40,000 points for C+ or ...

Book Main at 37,000 and it's an addition 2700 to upgrade to C+ or...

Pay $69 for entire trip to upgrade to C+

One last couple of questions:

Is there a better time to try and book Skymiles fares?

Do I book going through the standard online motions of booking a flight, or is there another area to book award flights on Delta?

... I encourage you to delete your cookies and/or use two devices.
I always erase my cookies, but will also take your advice and book on DH's computer. ;)
There's no need to do either. The notion that airlines increase their prices if you keep searching is an urban myth. Airlines have no good reason to do it, but they have plenty of good reasons not to.

Do I book going through the standard online motions of booking a flight, or is there another area to book award flights on Delta?

When you begin a booking on Delta's website, you have the option to price the ticket in either cash or in miles.

Y'all have been so helpful!

alcpa1 - I always erase my cookies, but will also take your advice and book on DH's computer. ;)

I just tried another faux booking for dates close to mine in early December. The cost for these dates are a little higher than what I have been seeing for my dates.

37,000 points for Main - 40,000 points for C+ or ...

Book Main at 37,000 and it's an addition 2700 to upgrade to C+ or...

Pay $69 for entire trip to upgrade to C+

One last couple of questions:

Definitely use 2700 miles for c+ and not $69. Also, have you checked pay with miles? 40k miles is worth $400...is the fare more than that? It is usually a poor use of miles but 40k for an economy ticket seems high. If you pay with miles your chances of an upgrade improve and you earn mqms and rdms .

You might want to check out the delta forum at flyertalk.

The ticket that I did a faux booking on was $557 for C+ or 40,000 miles. That's a bit higher than the price that I had seen last week for our preferred dates and flight. We don't mind using that many miles (although our flight last week showed 25,000 miles) because we really don't want to pay cash for flight and hotel this trip. We have the miles, so why not use them. ;);)We would prefer to use as little as possible, however.

Definitely use 2700 miles for c+ and not $69.
Thanks!

Also, have you checked pay with miles?
:confused: Isn't that how I have been checking?

If you pay with miles your chances of an upgrade improve and you earn mqms and rdms .
Interesting and good to know.

I don't think that the weekend is a good time to book the tickets, so we will wait until Monday.

The ticket that I did a faux booking on was $557 for C+ or 40,000 miles. That's a bit higher than the price that I had seen last week for our preferred dates and flight. We don't mind using that many miles (although our flight last week showed 25,000 miles) because we really don't want to pay cash for flight and hotel this trip. We have the miles, so why not use them. ;);)We would prefer to use as little as possible, however.

:confused: Isn't that how I have been checking?

There is a mileage ticket and there is pay with miles...delta essentially lets to convert miles into $ for a revenue ticket at the rate of 1 cent per mile for all or part of the ticket on DL metal. As I said, it is usually not an ideal use of miles but it is booked as a revenue ticket which allows for easier upgrades and sometimes requires fewer miles than booking as a mileage ticket...you can even use regional (and global) upgrades which you can't do on mileage tickets.

If you are gold can't you book economy and get a complementary upgrade to C+? I have done that on mileage tickets (and revenue tickets) with my no status wife on the same PNR. I am Diamond but I thought the rules were the same.

Upgrade: We can if a seat is available and offered to us. I don't think we can request outright. We always tic the box to ask for an upgrade if available.

Mileage vs Miles Ticket: Now I am more confused as ever! :confused: I didn't know there were two different types. I see the "buy with miles" when I search reservations for a ticket prices. That's where I am getting how many SkyMiles it takes to fly. How do I look for a Mileage Ticket? :o

Upgrade: We can if a seat is available and offered to us. I don't think we can request outright. We always tic the box to ask for an upgrade if available.

Mileage vs Miles Ticket: Now I am more confused as ever! :confused: I didn't know there were two different types. I see the "buy with miles" when I search reservations for a ticket prices. That's where I am getting how many SkyMiles it takes to fly. How do I look for a Mileage Ticket? :o

You were looking at mileage tickets :) . Go to delta.com and book your ticket to pay with money and you will see the little "pay with miles" below the price. When you click on that it lets to pay for a portion or all of you ticket exchanging miles for cash.

42543168894_86772c7fe9_b_d.jpg

My web page looks different from yours. But basically, that's how I have been doing it.

Miles_zps5ufvrk6n.jpg

Miles%202_zps9s46bmzq.jpg

PS - I think we are going to look at AA, also. We have some miles, each, that I think we can use up for First Class.

Iamthesea -- you want to be clicking on where it says "Miles+Cash". That's the "blended" fare area, where you are paying part with cash, part with miles (at a lousy redemption rate IMO). That's under "Show Price In".

:confused: But we don't want to pay with part cash. Miles, only. ;)

You're the one who couldn't find the cash and miles method.

I showed you were it could be found.

Whether or not you chose to use that, I pointed it out....for you and for others.

Do as you wish.

No, you must have misread...I did not ask that. :confused: I know how to "pay with miles", "pay with cash", and "pay with miles+cash". That's how I have been checking on how many Skymiles it takes for a ticket.

fastpitchdad had me confused when he said

There is a mileage ticket and there is pay with miles...delta essentially lets to convert miles into $ for a revenue ticket at the rate of 1 cent per mile for all or part of the ticket on DL metal. As I said, it is usually not an ideal use of miles but it is booked as a revenue ticket which allows for easier upgrades and sometimes requires fewer miles than booking as a mileage ticket...you can even use regional (and global) upgrades which you can't do on mileage tickets.

So...I wanted to know how to book a mileage ticket, or rather I wanted to know what the difference was in a "mileage ticket" and "pay with miles." :confused:

There is a mileage ticket and there is pay with miles

Mileage vs Miles Ticket: Now I am more confused as ever! :confused: I didn't know there were two different types. I see the "buy with miles" when I search reservations for a ticket prices.

Delta actually has 3 different ways in which miles can be used for all or part of a ticket. At the start of the reservation you'll see an option to price the ticket in either cash or miles. Click miles and you'll book a regular award ticket, paid entirely with sky miles.

Then there are 2 hybrid tickets.

1. "Pay with Miles". This is a revenue ticket, or a cash ticket, but you can buy down the amount of cash you need to spend by paying part of the fare with miles. This option is only available to Sky Miles members who also have a Delta branded American Express card associated with their Sky Miles account.

2. "Miles plus Cash". This is an award ticket, but you can buy down the number of miles you need to spend by paying part of the fare with cash.

Please note that while "Pay with Miles" and "Miles plus Cash" seem very similar in that both allow you to use a combo of miles and money to pay for your ticket, those two phrases, "Pay with Miles" and "Miles plus Cash" are actually very specific phrases that mean different things in terms of the fare basis of the ticket. It can be very confusing, I know.

Edited by waterbug123

:confused: But we don't want to pay with part cash. Miles, only. ;)

Depending on how many miles you use, the amount of cash you spend could be very small.

I wanted to know what the difference was in a "mileage ticket" and "pay with miles." :confused:

A "mileage" ticket, including the aforementioned "miles plus cash" ticket, is an award ticket. As such, you won't earn miles with it, you won't earn MQMs, or medallion qualifyiing miles, for status purposes, you may be further down a complimentary upgrade list if you have status that allows comp upgrades, etc.

A "miles plus cash" ticket is a revenue ticket. You will still earn miles and MQMs on the portion of the fare paid in cash, and your ticket will otherwise be treated the same as a regular revenue ticket, i.e. you'll have a higher fare class than a mileage ticket and all associated benefits that go with that higher fare class.

Thanks Meg. Good lord...just when I was getting the hang of things! :eek:

I found a good article article on Delta that explained everything in more detail.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/how-to-use-miles/travel-with-miles.html

Anyway, what I want is to pay with "miles" only. DH and I have it all figured out, now. Also,we looked on AA and since neither of us have enough Advantage miles to cover the other, we dashed that idea because of fear that we would not be able to get the second ticket after booking the first. Plus their flight times were screwy.

Thank you all for your help! I may come back on Monday and let you know how we fared. Yes, pun intended. :D