The "fun" of flying... itinerary changes ... from Vancouver to US

Bevv

I booked my return trip from Vancouver to Austin, Tx with Princess Air... Delta was a good choice at the time because I wanted a later departure... 3:45 for the day of disembarkation in Vancouver. I just got notice that my booking has been changed to a 12:45 departure. That makes it tight from the port to the airport and through the customs process.

With the 12:45 flight, would you still take the Sky Train to the airport, or take Princes transportation?

I booked my return trip from Vancouver to Austin, Tx with Princess Air... Delta was a good choice at the time because I wanted a later departure... 3:45 for the day of disembarkation in Vancouver. I just got notice that my booking has been changed to a 12:45 departure. That makes it tight from the port to the airport and through the customs process.

With the 12:45 flight, would you still take the Sky Train to the airport, or take Princes transportation?

If your ok with handling your bags, personally I would still take Skytrain.

You are traveling during morning rush-hours commute. That will made the roads slower. Skytrain will not be effected.

On skytrain you have the advantage that your heading out of the downtown and your boarding at Waterfront. Waterfront is a terminus station so the train will be empty when you get on. YVR-Airport is also a terminus station at the opposite end. I would get on, find a seat at the far end and that way you don't need to worry about people coming and going until you get to the airport. The track you use a Waterfront should alternative between Canada Line - YVR and Bridgehouse trains. You want a YVR train.

If your ok with handling your bags, personally I would still take Skytrain.

You are traveling during morning rush-hours commute. That will made the roads slower. Skytrain will not be effected.

On skytrain you have the advantage that your heading out of the downtown and your boarding at Waterfront. Waterfront is a terminus station so the train will be empty when you get on. YVR-Airport is also a terminus station at the opposite end. I would get on, find a seat at the far end and that way you don't need to worry about people coming and going until you get to the airport. The track you use a Waterfront should alternative between Canada Line - YVR and Bridgehouse trains. You want a YVR train.

Thanks.. I was still thinking Sky Train but hubby is talking Princess transfer now due to the "we will make sure you get to your flight on time" promise.

Thanks.. I was still thinking Sky Train but hubby is talking Princess transfer now due to the "we will make sure you get to your flight on time" promise.

Is that anything like the "we'll get you to your cruise" promise for buying cruiseline air??

Is that anything like the "we'll get you to your cruise" promise for buying cruiseline air??

From what I read on their website, yes it is a commitment to get you to your return flight on time or make alternative arrangements for you. That was the only way I wanted to book the same day return even though Alaska is normally a port that does not have disembarkation day problems. The original flight was 3:45 and I was comfortable with that. The current 12:45 is tighter than I am comfortable with but should be doable.

If you decided to do the Skytrain I would suggest you do what ever Princess calls self-departure. I know Celebrity calls it Express Departure and we just keep our bags over night and walk off with them when we are ready in the AM. It means on tight air connections we are first off the ship and first on the transport lines, whether it is train, bus, taxi or private ride.

If you decided to do the Skytrain I would suggest you do what ever Princess calls self-departure. I know Celebrity calls it Express Departure and we just keep our bags over night and walk off with them when we are ready in the AM. It means on tight air connections we are first off the ship and first on the transport lines, whether it is train, bus, taxi or private ride.

Thanks! Hubby is now leaning towards Skytrain, and we like self departure... have done it the last 4 cruises on Carnival.. so we now have a plan.

Princess isn’t going to guarantee that they’ll get you to the airport in time - it’s one thing on the inbound where they have some control over holding the ship for their transfers. It’s entirely another for them to be willing to help you out if traffic is snarled or the ship can’t clear early. And, if you’re the first passengers on the transfer bus, you have to wait for the bus to fill, which can take 30-40 minutes (been there, done that).

I second the motion to take the Canada Line to YVR. We do it almost every time and it’s easy. You will need to be able to roll/carry your bags a couple of blocks (incentive not to overpack!)

. Don’t go in the first entrance you see, but turn the corner and go in the main building. Buy your ticket (or just tap your credit card at the turnstile, a new feature when we were there in May), take the elevator down and there you are.

If you have Global Entry, you may be able to use the NEXUS line through security. And you can use the GE kiosk to go through immigration. It can be almost painless to get to your gate.

Also, check the flight schedules to see if there’s something that suits your risk tolerance better. With a 3 hour change, I think the airlines will make the change for no charge. The problem is whether Princess will do it for you. If there’s a better flight on the same airline, have all of the information handy when you call.