Logistics for Barcelona

Giantfan13

Just need some help planning our one day stay in Barcelona. We fly in on Monday, Nov 26 and are boarding a cruise the next day.

So should we look for a hotel near the airport, one that has an airport pickup, or should we opt for one closer to the cruise terminal?

We have never been to Barcelona, and we are doing a Red Eye, arriving around 7AM, but I don't know how fit we will feel to go exploring for that one day. So we have no idea of the logistics of Barcelona, like where the terminal in comparison to the airport. If we stay near the airport, we won't have to take a taxi to our hotel, but will that mean a much longer, and expensive ride to get to the terminal the next day?

Are there any hotels that will shuttle you over to the cruise terminal if we choose to stay in that area?

Suggestions and opinions are all welcome.

Cheers

Len

Len, my personal opinion is that you should take a taxi upon arrival to a hotel of your choice in central Barcelona. Taxis use meters and rates are published online, so you should be able to get a reasonable cost estimate in advance. Even if you lose half your day to recovering from your flight, I would think you will want to go out walking and explore some of the sights/meals on arrival day. I would not want to waste that time at an airport hotel. Then on the next morning, arrange for a second taxi to pick you up at the hotel and take you to the cruise port. The port is in central Barcelona. I don't think I've seen any hotels mentioned on here that provide a shuttle to the cruise port. Airport to cruise port is probably a 30 minute drive or so. Taxis are the best option, in my opinion in this port.

I also agree with MeHeartCruising. Taxi's are the best and cheapest mode of transportation from the airport to downtown if you have luggage. The only issue we have had is that we had a lot of luggage and we had to get a larger taxi to accommodate our bags.

Also agree that a hotel downtown is the best. Everything is within short walking distance and/or public transportation. I would also add that Barcelona has way too much to see in the short time you will be there. If possible to deviate your air and stay a few extra days you would not be disappointed.

You might want to look into Barcelona Day Tours. They have tours that will get you to the major attractions, pick you up at the airport and then drop you at your hotel.

https://barcelonadaytours.com/tour-from-airport/

I also agree with MeHeartCruising. Taxi's are the best and cheapest mode of transportation from the airport to downtown if you have luggage. The only issue we have had is that we had a lot of luggage and we had to get a larger taxi to accommodate our bags.

Also agree that a hotel downtown is the best. Everything is within short walking distance and/or public transportation. I would also add that Barcelona has way too much to see in the short time you will be there. If possible to deviate your air and stay a few extra days you would not be disappointed.

You might want to look into Barcelona Day Tours. They have tours that will get you to the major attractions, pick you up at the airport and then drop you at your hotel.

https://barcelonadaytours.com/tour-from-airport/

Our plans are set, but we will be coming back next year and hopefully get to see much more of this city.

That tour company sound like something we might definitely be interested in. Thanks for the suggestion

Cheers

Len

Just need some help planning our one day stay in Barcelona. We fly in on Monday, Nov 26 and are boarding a cruise the next day.

So should we look for a hotel near the airport, one that has an airport pickup, or should we opt for one closer to the cruise terminal?

We have never been to Barcelona, and we are doing a Red Eye, arriving around 7AM, but I don't know how fit we will feel to go exploring for that one day. So we have no idea of the logistics of Barcelona, like where the terminal in comparison to the airport. If we stay near the airport, we won't have to take a taxi to our hotel, but will that mean a much longer, and expensive ride to get to the terminal the next day?

Are there any hotels that will shuttle you over to the cruise terminal if we choose to stay in that area?

Suggestions and opinions are all welcome.

Cheers

Len

My two cents worth ...

Yes, a taxi would be your best option both from the airport to your hotel and from your hotel to the port.

The taxi's charge supplements - ones that need concern you are supplements for each piece of luggage, the cruise port and the airport. Excellent information provided on the 2 following links - the calculator will give you the taxi price from point to point:

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/faq/airport/transport/taxi/barcelona-taxi-fares-and-supplements.html

https://www.taxi-calculator.com/taxi-fare-barcelona/247

If I remember correctly, you tend to prefer budget friendly accommodations? If so, there is a hotel located on Las Ramblas that is inexpensive & offers free breakfasts and snacks (snacks offered all day including beer and wine). On one of our visits to BCN, we booked an upgrade - a balcony with views over the Ramblas. Assuming you are exhausted upon arrival, after resting a bit you can simply step out of the hotel and you are in the heart of Las Ramblas - Placa Catalunya is just a short walk up the street (HOHO bus, etc.).

This particular hotel is decorated in shades of pink, orange and purple - so, if you can stomach those colors (we could), it may be a nice choice for you. Bonus - you are only about 5 - 10 minutes from the cruise terminal.

http://www.hotelcontinental.com/hotel-continental-barcelona/en/default.html

While actively search for a hotel we noticed a link for airport pick up so I clicked on it and several options came up along with a shared van service,

Eros Bus for $26.

Anyone ever heard of them or know anything about them. I really haven't seen a name mentioned on the boards.

Cheers

Len

My two cents worth ...

Yes, a taxi would be your best option both from the airport to your hotel and from your hotel to the port.

The taxi's charge supplements - ones that need concern you are supplements for each piece of luggage, the cruise port and the airport. Excellent information provided on the 2 following links - the calculator will give you the taxi price from point to point:

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/faq/airport/transport/taxi/barcelona-taxi-fares-and-supplements.html

https://www.taxi-calculator.com/taxi-fare-barcelona/247

If I remember correctly, you tend to prefer budget friendly accommodations? If so, there is a hotel located on Las Ramblas that is inexpensive & offers free breakfasts and snacks (snacks offered all day including beer and wine). On one of our visits to BCN, we booked an upgrade - a balcony with views over the Ramblas. Assuming you are exhausted upon arrival, after resting a bit you can simply step out of the hotel and you are in the heart of Las Ramblas - Placa Catalunya is just a short walk up the street (HOHO bus, etc.).

This particular hotel is decorated in shades of pink, orange and purple - so, if you can stomach those colors (we could), it may be a nice choice for you. Bonus - you are only about 5 - 10 minutes from the cruise terminal.

http://www.hotelcontinental.com/hotel-continental-barcelona/en/default.html

I smiled when you remembered that we usually go for 'budget' accommodations. You couldn't have been more correct. As long as it's clean and in a decent neighborhood, it's fine for us. All we need it for is to sleep and shower.

The hotel you posted was nice, but a friend of ours recommend this place

"Arc La Rambla Hotel"

La Rambla, 19-21 La Rambla, Barcelona,

which I just checks for about $65 for the one night. Have you heard of this or is it in the same area? It did get very good reviews.

Cheers

Len

I smiled when you remembered that we usually go for 'budget' accommodations. You couldn't have been more correct. As long as it's clean and in a decent neighborhood, it's fine for us. All we need it for is to sleep and shower.

The hotel you posted was nice, but a friend of ours recommend this place

"Arc La Rambla Hotel"

La Rambla, 19-21 La Rambla, Barcelona,

which I just checks for about $65 for the one night. Have you heard of this or is it in the same area? It did get very good reviews.

Cheers

Len

Yes, the Arc is about a 5 minute walk down Las Ramblas (south) from the Continental - it is on the opposite side of the street. I have not stayed there but my nephew did - he said it was clean & loved the location. It should be perfect for your stated needs. Again, you can walk outside the hotel and be in the heart of the Ramblas.

While actively search for a hotel we noticed a link for airport pick up so I clicked on it and several options came up along with a shared van service,

Eros Bus for $26.

Anyone ever heard of them or know anything about them. I really haven't seen a name mentioned on the boards.

Cheers

Len

The Eros Bus gets terrible reviews on TripAdvisor - I have no personal experience but I would be inclined to think twice after reading the reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187497-d12987508-Reviews-Eros_Bus_Travel-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

I have used the Aerobus though (only once) and it was fine. It is inexpensive (€5.90 per person), has lots of luggage space (kinda like the airport terminal buses in the states) & has a stop at Placa Catalunya (where the bus ride terminates). The Aerobus stops at both T1 & T2 at El Prat and runs at 10 minute intervals.

From Placa Catalunya, it would be a short walk (about 10 minutes) down the Ramblas to your hotel (assuming you book the Arc).

http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/buy-tickets

We might be interested in this Aerobus. If you don't mind a couple of questions. We are flying in American Airlines, how do we know which terminal we are flying into?

Once we gather our luggage, how far to get to this bus?

Depending on what we are schlepping with us, we may just opt for a taxi. We know we will both have a large suitcase and probably a couple of carryon's each, so it may be too much to try and walk around with all that.

I did go ahead and book that hotel. Do most hotels hold one's luggage until they are able to check in? We arrive around 7AM and we would love to drop off our luggage, stroll around a bit and then get settled in the hotel.

Thanks again for your advice and help.

Cheers

Len

Eros Bus for $26.

Cheers

Len

Not sure why a couple would want to pay $26 per person for a bus when a taxi would generally cost less.

Hank

I did go ahead and book that hotel. Do most hotels hold one's luggage until they are able to check in? We arrive around 7AM and we would love to drop off our luggage, stroll around a bit and then get settled in the hotel.

All European hotels that I have stayed in have been willing let you drop off luggage early and then return later to check in when your room is ready. I even got lucky once and found my room ready upon early morning arrival so I was able to get a shower as soon as I arrived -- that helped make it thru the day a lot. But that is not normally the situation. However, be aware, if they store your luggage for a few hours it may or may not be in a secure area. In one hotel I stayed at, my bag really was just put in a corner of the lobby with a few others near the front desk. It could easily have taken if the front desk person was out of sight for a few minutes. I would not leave valuables in the luggage left behind unless it is secured. I think the smaller hotels have less space to offer this service, but they will figure out a way. They are used to travelers arriving on these overnight flights.

All European hotels that I have stayed in have been willing let you drop off luggage early and then return later to check in when your room is ready. I even got lucky once and found my room ready upon early morning arrival so I was able to get a shower as soon as I arrived -- that helped make it thru the day a lot. But that is not normally the situation. However, be aware, if they store your luggage for a few hours it may or may not be in a secure area. In one hotel I stayed at, my bag really was just put in a corner of the lobby with a few others near the front desk. It could easily have taken if the front desk person was out of sight for a few minutes. I would not leave valuables in the luggage left behind unless it is secured. I think the smaller hotels have less space to offer this service, but they will figure out a way. They are used to travelers arriving on these overnight flights.

FWIW, I’d note (request) on your reservation of your early morning arrival. We’ve had great luck in Europe with early checkin at our hotels. On our last 5 trips our room has been available at or within an hour of our morning arrival. No guarantees tho

We might be interested in this Aerobus. If you don't mind a couple of questions. We are flying in American Airlines, how do we know which terminal we are flying into?

AA will arrive T1

Once we gather our luggage, how far to get to this bus?
Once you have collected your luggage and entered the terminal, it is essentially a straight shot down the hall - take escalator down one flight and as you exit the terminal, the bus stop is directly outside. Here is a video on how to get to the bus stop from T1 - it walks you through the route and probably makes more sense than my written directions.

Depending on what we are schlepping with us, we may just opt for a taxi. We know we will both have a large suitcase and probably a couple of carryon's each, so it may be too much to try and walk around with all that.

JMHO, but honestly, I would recommend a taxi. Barcelona is sometimes called the pickpocket capital and the Ramblas is frequented by these types. It is perfectly safe, but I would not feel comfortable walking a few blocks down the Ramblas with so much luggage. I estimate that the cost of the taxi from El Prat to you hotel will be about 35 - 40 euros.

Just a side note: I wear a passport wallet worn cross body, inside my shirt. I carry money, credit cards & passport in this wallet and have never, fortunately, been the victim of a pickpocket. Barcelona is perfectly safe, just ensure that your valuables are secure.

Yes, they will hold your luggage. But as a previous poster said, it may not be held in a secure area (you could email the hotel and ask if the luggage is kept in a locked room). Make sure that you leave no valuables in your left luggage.

Barcelona is a magical city - enjoy!

Yes, the Arc is about a 5 minute walk down Las Ramblas (south) from the Continental - it is on the opposite side of the street. I have not stayed there but my nephew did - he said it was clean & loved the location. It should be perfect for your stated needs. Again, you can walk outside the hotel and be in the heart of the Ramblas.

I would like to stay there but

I saw some comments about the Arc being in a questionable part of LaRambla. Is this correct?

The hotel itself gets very good ratings except for some comments about its location.

I would like to stay there but

I saw some comments about the Arc being in a questionable part of LaRambla. Is this correct?

The hotel itself gets very good ratings except for some comments about its location.

The entire Ramblas is safe - petty crime (pickpockets) is prevalent but if you secure your valuables you should be fine. I have walked this area (and others) many times both during the day and night with no issues whatsoever.

The entire Ramblas is safe /quote]

except when the terrorists are out and about:

https://nytimes.com/2017/08/17/world/europe/barcelona-catalunya-van.html

are you seriously trying to spread fear?

there has been one incident which is in same frequency as any other major city

pick pocketering still more likely

are you seriously trying to spread fear?

there has been one incident which is in same frequency as any other major city

pick pocketering still more likely

I had the same thought. What is the point of the post other than to spread fear?

I would ignore remarks about terrorism as one has to be aware of surroundings no matter where you go. I travel alone, single woman, 70's, was in Barcelona 2 days last Fall, walked everywhere, no issues. I always stay on Ramblas, booked again for 2019, my 4th visit. I've heard stories, refuse to change my travels.

I've stayed at Hotel Continental, the Lloret, both are o.k. older, not what some travelers might expect, I'm not critical and give leeway to older buildings. Hotel Continental has 24/7 food availability, no charge.

I would not stay near the airport, if staying on Ramblas, try the HOHO bus to get a feel for Barcelona. When I fly to Europe, arriving early a.m., I do something that day no matter how tired, I fight the urge to nap. Go to bed at a decent time, set an alarm and next day you could be adjusted for the time change.

Ramblas is close to the port, I don't rush to the ship, as others have said, hotels will have an area for your luggage. I've done walking tours in Barcelona from Placa Catalunya before boarding the ship. Just echoing a few ideas from other posts to let you know it is doable and relatively safe. Barcelona is an awesome city, even with one day would be a shame to miss it.

Taxis in Barcelona are plentiful and cheap. There is a fixed price between the airport and cruise port of 39 Euros. It should cost slightly less from the airport to the city centre.

I would not recommend staying in an airport hotel, you are visiting one of the greatest cities in Europe so stay in the city. You can see the cruise port and probably your ship if you walk to the bottom of Las Ramblas. A taxi from your hotel to the cruise terminal will cost 10 - 15 Euros.

Las Ramblas is well known for pickpockets but be sensible, don't walk about with bags open or wallets in back pockets and you'll be fine. It's a great city that attracts millions of visitors each year, even if you are jet lagged get out and about and enjoy it.

Take a taxi or aerobus and stay at a hotel near the Las Ramblas or Place Catalunya. That way once you check into your hotel, you can walk down the Las Ramblas, walk into the Gothic Area or take a taxi, bus or metro to Sagrada Familia.

Next day, because you have luggage, take a taxi to the cruise port.

We found the aerobus to be just fine. There are lots of youtube videos on how to get from baggage claim to the aerobus. Try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfxaN4IHlQ8, which is the official video, but there are others put out by other travelers.

it's easy to get the aerobus and if you stay near Placa Catalunya, you should take it because it's easy, cheap and convenient.

Very valuable information in this thread, thanks. I have an additional question about bus transportation to the port and any information will be great, is the T3 Cruisebus (Portbus) a viable option?

I have an additional question about bus transportation to the port and any information will be great, is the T3 Cruisebus (Portbus) a viable option?

I'm sorry - is the T3 a viable option to what? If you can manage your own luggage & can make your way to the foot of the Ramblas, the T3 is quite inexpensive (think 3 per person).

The T3 is a shuttle bus that services only the cruise port. The T3 runs a circular route to all cruise embarking/disembarking piers and begins/ends at the foot of the Ramblas (Columbus Monument).

I think you answered the question, I wanted to know if T3 Cruisebus (Portbus) is a reliable option to get to the cruise port but also if anyone has used it and how crowded does it get (i.e. long waiting lines at pickup in Las Ramblas). Thanks.