USAA Travel insurance

Sparkygirl

You can get travel insurance through Travel Guard that you buy right up to the cruise and it will cover pre-existing conditions. It is under "My Travel Guard". Been a member of USAA since 1984. They are easy to work with too.

I've been doing Travel Guard for several cruises. They only cover pre-existing if you buy w/in 15 days of trip deposit.

• Like 1

Have had the unfortunate experience to file two claims with Travel Insured/USAA. One for an EKG onboard to determine arythmia and the second for ship's doctor on a Chinese river boat after a fall during an excursion. Both fully covered and refunded quickly after submitting doctor's evalation and bill. Good companies and easy to work with.

• Like 1

I like USAA except for the fact they send a boat load of trash to my mailbox every other day and ads to my email every day. I don't think its is all that necessary.

I've been with them for 49 years. Do not get emails or mailings. You may be mistaking OVC which is the travel company USAA uses. OVC has an opt-out option. Have been using OVC for at least ten years - no problems or unsolicited advertising.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad this was posted! My husband and I are set to cruise in July, I just booked the cruise 2 days ago and will definitely be purchasing USAA's travel insurance, but I'm undecided on which level. Any medical emergency should be covered by Tricare Prime as my husband is active duty..so I'm thinking we just need the cheapest plan that covers leave revocation and a call to military duty? They range from $98 to $232. What do people usually go with? I'm new to the travel insurance thing.

We didn't go with anything as we paid with a Credit Card that backs us up and we have VA and VACHAMP. We don't worry too much although in Italy the Care in a hospital can be lousy to none. My wife is Italian and said her Dad went to the hospital with Gall Bladder prob. on Fri, they looked at him Mon. and by then had to evac him to Rome 70 mi away for emergency surgery. No one was in the hospital, Nurse, Dr or staff all weekend. Yet, the best telephone service in the world there.:eek:

• 2 months later...
I've never purchased 3rd party travel insurance only through cruise line or last TA didn't offer it and then when we called to add it were told it as too late. As Murphy works that cruise my daughter had to be removed from the ship and was seen in 2 different hospitals. Thankfully other than some billing mix ups Tricare is covering her medical expenses but we lost the cruise and the week of an unexpected vacation in Orlando before she was cleared to travel home. I am now paranoid about having travel insurance. How does third party insurance such as usaa work? When /how do I purchase it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

third party insurance pays after your primary insurance. So if you buy travel insurance from the cruise line and your daughter has to be hospitalized; tricare pics up the cost; if there are any costs tricare won't cover; that is when third party or your cruise insurance would pay. Basically you go thru tricare first; then you submit claim to whoever you bought travel insurance with

third party insurance pays after your primary insurance. So if you buy travel insurance from the cruise line and your daughter has to be hospitalized; tricare pics up the cost; if there are any costs tricare won't cover; that is when third party or your cruise insurance would pay. Basically you go thru tricare first; then you submit claim to whoever you bought travel insurance with

Only in US medical facilities. Same with Medicare. You need travel insurance to cover problems ashore in foreign countries and onboard. Plus travel insurance will pay for medical evacuation back to the US.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently had a medical accident (ankle injury) and had to cancel our 2-week cruise. Princess' platinum insurance paid promptly but did not cover the $208 for a mobility scooter I had rented through Special Needs at Sea.

Those of you familiar with USAA's insurance, do you think something like this would be covered?

• 4 weeks later...

We too are members of USAA but we use Travel Guard. They have been great whenever we have made a claim. In fact our DS is at the USCGA and will be home on leave this summer. We plan on taking him on a cruise and purchased TG to cover it. I did call and speak with them and they said that if our DS leave is cancelled we will be able to get all of the money back or just his portion if we decide to still go. All DS would need to do is get something in writing showing leave cancelled, which won't be a problem.

I also got this in writing just in case.

We too are members of USAA but we use Travel Guard. They have been great whenever we have made a claim. In fact our DS is at the USCGA and will be home on leave this summer. We plan on taking him on a cruise and purchased TG to cover it. I did call and speak with them and they said that if our DS leave is cancelled we will be able to get all of the money back or just his portion if we decide to still go. All DS would need to do is get something in writing showing leave cancelled, which won't be a problem.

You might want to compare TG and USAA side by side in terms of coverage and price. You may be pleasantly surprised as we were. We were long time TG users but switched to USAA for our upcoming sailing because we got better coverage at a better price.

Can't beat that in our book! ;)

You might want to compare TG and USAA side by side in terms of coverage and price. You may be pleasantly surprised as we were. We were long time TG users but switched to USAA for our upcoming sailing because we got better coverage at a better price.

Can't beat that in our book! ;)

Will take a look. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a cruise during one of the major hurricanes last year. Travel Insured covered all of our additional costs with not much trouble. We have used them several times but only filed a claim once.

• 3 weeks later...
Be sure you have covered cost up to $25,000. for air evacuation. Otherwise, heart problem etc and you'll be out the additional expense.It is not worth the savings to skip it or get less.

From Durban S Africa to NY it can cost $125,000.

Life insurance is a company betting you'll die and you betting you won't.

In reality, its the insurance company better that you won't die or be injured, and you are betting that you will.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Didn't even think to look at USAA for the travel insurance. I just always book through the cruise company.

I only booked the cruise about 7 days ago... could I go in and modify it to remove the trip insurance through NCL and then contact USAA for 3rd party? Or am I stuck with it and I'll just need to remember for in the future.

Didn't even think to look at USAA for the travel insurance. I just always book through the cruise company.

I only booked the cruise about 7 days ago... could I go in and modify it to remove the trip insurance through NCL and then contact USAA for 3rd party? Or am I stuck with it and I'll just need to remember for in the future.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to back out the insurance through NCL and purchase it through USAA. Definitely check with NCL though to be sure. Be quick about it, if preexisting conditions apply to your situation, as you need to sign up within 2 weeks of initial payment to qualify for the PC waiver.

USAA travel insurance is great, very competitive, and you earned the benefit; so why not?

Good luck!

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2018 at 1:26 PM, cheeseclan said:

If you're cruising on Princess, and the CG Acad. works the same way the other service acads. do (e.g. cadets are classified as being on AD) your son should be eligible for the Veterans' OBC. If so, I'm attaching a copy of the Princess Veterans Benefit form to this message for his use.  (I suspect you already know about it, but I'd rather repeat it than take a chance on you not knowing about it.  (I checked in an AD officer last year onto a Princess cruise and it was his 29th cruise on the line and he'd never heard of that benefit before I talked to him.  Really sad as he lost a lot of free money!

TOm

Veterans Benefit Form.pdf

5 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

If you're cruising on Princess, and the CG Acad. works the same way the other service acads. do (e.g. cadets are classified as being on AD) your son should be eligible for the Veterans' OBC. If so, I'm attaching a copy of the Princess Veterans Benefit form to this message for his use.  (I suspect you already know about it, but I'd rather repeat it than take a chance on you not knowing about it.  (I checked in an AD officer last year onto a Princess cruise and it was his 29th cruise on the line and he'd never heard of that benefit before I talked to him.  Really sad as he lost a lot of free money!

TOm

Veterans Benefit Form.pdf

Thank you Tom.  He did get the military OBC on our last cruise and my husband did too.  Nice perk from Princess.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

Thank you Tom.  He did get the military OBC on our last cruise and my husband did too.  Nice perk from Princess.

Good. Thanks to both of them for their service. One thing to be aware of is if you ever go through a travel agent to schedule a Princess cruise, make sure that the agent links their Captains' Circle number to their reservation as that's what the Vets OBC is linked to and if that number isn't included in the reservation, they won't get the OBC.

Tom

• 4 months later...

We've used the travel insurance through USAA for all of our trips for probably the last 5 or 6 years. Luckily, we're yet to make a claim. (I did not read all the responses, so I'm sorry if this is duplicate advice...) The very first trip we bought it, we were coming back from London, and they canceled our connection in Chicago b/c of weather. I was all excited that I had insurance, so we could get a hotel room covered! Nope. We bought the cheap plan. We had to be stranded for 12 hours before it kicked in. So from that point on, I ALWAYS buy the next better plan that covers you if you're cover 6 hours or more. I've compared their rates to other plans many times and they were always cheaper. Hell, I have a flight next month that only cost $187, but I paid $20 to insure the flight through them (it was cheaper than the airline's insurance.). Love that peace of mind!

• Like 1