Trying to decide between 2 different policies

I have it narrowed down to 2 policies but I am wondering how big of a difference between an A rated and A++ rated underwriter is. The one with the A++ rating has less in terms of coverage, but still good. The A rated one has better coverage but is only A rated.

They are:

Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company (A++ Rated)

United States Fire Insurance Company (A Rated)

Any experience with either of these companies?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have it narrowed down to 2 policies but I am wondering how big of a difference between an A rated and A++ rated underwriter is. The one with the A++ rating has less in terms of coverage, but still good. The A rated one has better coverage but is only A rated.

They are:

Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company (A++ Rated)

United States Fire Insurance Company (A Rated)

Any experience with either of these companies?

Thanks!

Trying to figure it out yourself is sometimes difficult. That's when a professional comes in handy. We always use Steve or one of his associates at The Trip Insurance Store...good to talk to a live person.

(888) 407-3854

www.thetripinsurancestore.com

We also use TripInsuranceStore for all of our travel insurance.

They've really helped us select among what was at the start a rather bewildering choice. More importantly, we didn't even know the right questions to ask, not at first!

They've helped us get policies such that all of our claims (including 2 large ones) were paid with no nonsense, and that matters. A lot.

So... about the "ratings"... I'm not absolutely sure about what they measure, but I had *thought* (and this is nothing more than that, but you could look it up... about ratings, not about my thoughts! :eek:) that it reflected the financial stability of the insurer, not how quickly they paid or whether they argue about every little item claimed, etc.

One thing about Steve and his company (anyone there can help you) is that they only work with something like 6 or 8 (??) insurers, although there are more than one policy from many or all of the insurers.

They've selected them in part, as I understand it, because they *do* pay (although they do require proper documentation, fair enough, and will still hold to the terms of the policy, also fair enough).

Some of the "problems" we've read about here about claims taking months and months, and lots of aggravation, seem to be from a few specific vendors, and I have *not* seen those suggested by TIS.

Also, TIS folks will help with your claim IF you needed it. (We've only had one question about whether what we thought was an odd claim was covered. First, it wasn't odd after all! Second, it was covered! But we had emailed them from abroad and they double checked with the insurer, which was very re-assuring as we were dealing with a hospital overseas and delayed travel.)

We've had our policies through TIS with Travel Insured, in case that helps. But their policies may or may not suit *your* needs.

Double check carefully about pre-existing conditions if there is ANY reason why that might make a difference. (Those can involve not just medical costs, but trip cancellations/interruptions as well.)

Good luck.

GC