Whoops ! No travel insurance !

We are off on a 14 night cruise in a couple of weeks, so I was just browsing the travel insurance policy which I took out when I booked the cruise a few months ago. Having found a policy which met our needs and was a reasonable price, I completed the online application and was given a list of optional extensions, one of which was cruise extension.

This covered just a few items like, missed port calls, cancelled excursions, confinement to cabin etc but was rather expensive compared to the basic price of the policy. After considering this, I decided to decline the cruise extension option.

However on reading the small print, I was concerned by the wording that seemed to suggest that if on a cruise, absolutely nothing was covered unless the cruise extension was taken out! Just to clarify this I contacted the insurance company and was advised that if on a cruise then cruise extension option was in fact compulsory and not an optional extra.

Fortunately I am able to add the cruise extension even though it is rather an excessive cost, but it worries me that I could easily have overlooked or misinterpreted the policy wording and effectively be left without insurance.

I suppose the moral of the story is always read the small print and query anything which doesn't seem clear.

I've never heard of this. What policy do you have?

OP is in the UK.

Non-USA-based travel insurance tends to be from "somewhat different" to "very different" compared with the types of coverage that tend to be available to those resident in the USA.

I'm also not familiar with the terminology used.

OP might want to start a new thread with a Title mentioning UK-based coverage and perhaps the key terms(s) of concern.

That's more likely to get the attention of those who are familiar with the problem she has, and hopefully also with solutions.

GC

Sorry, I should have said that this was UK based insurance.

No worries.

You DID say you were from the UK. It’s clearly stated in your banner at the top of your post.

However, I thank you for posting. My cruise is in 10 days. I had to review my insurance coverage and realized I had forgotten to increase coverage amount due to an upgrade and my prepaid hotel costs.

No worries.

You DID say you were from the UK. It’s clearly stated in your banner at the top of your post.

However, I thank you for posting. My cruise is in 10 days. I had to review my insurance coverage and realized I had forgotten to increase coverage amount due to an upgrade and my prepaid hotel costs.

Right, the location is at the top of the individual post (not that everyone looks there, but that's a different issue) but one won't even see that if one does not click to open the thread in the first place.

That's why putting any important specific information in the thread *title* can help.

Those who might have especially useful information will then quickly see it in the list of all thread titles. OTOH, such people may not bother to open the thread at all if they can *not* see from the title that it involves something they know about (or, alternatively, might like to learn about).

GC

That's why putting any important specific information in the thread *title* can help.

GC

I've never put my location in any of my thread titles and looking through your past threads that you've started neither have you. Or, are you saying only those who live outside the USA need to do this? Which, I hope like He** you're NOT implying.

This is the World Wide Web