Trains in New Zealand

acctgtogo

Our cruise stops at three ports with train rides. Does anyone know which is the better trip? We want to take at least one or two, but three is too many. They are as follows:

Picton - Marlborough Train Tour

Akoroa - TranzAlpine Railway

Dunedin - Talieri Gorge Train

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Penny

Was not aware of the Picton-Marlborough train, it appears to be a new venture for this coming cruise ship season.

If our cruise later this year was to visit Picton, we would be booking the train.

The Taieri Gorge train trip is popular, the cruise ships seem to book the entire train, and collect the passengers from Port Chalmers.

Re the Trans Alpine train trip, this involves a bus ride from Akaroa (winding road) to meet the train on the Canterbury Plains.

The cruise ship passengers travel only a section of the Trans Alpine train route.They then rejoin the bus to return to Akaroa, while the train continues on through the mountains to Greymouth on the West Coast.

Was not aware of the Picton-Marlborough train, it appears to be a new venture for this coming cruise ship season.

If our cruise later this year was to visit Picton, we would be booking the train.

The Taieri Gorge train trip is popular, the cruise ships seem to book the entire train, and collect the passengers from Port Chalmers.

Re the Trans Alpine train trip, this involves a bus ride from Akaroa (winding road) to meet the train on the Canterbury Plains.

The cruise ship passengers travel only a section of the Trans Alpine train route.They then rejoin the bus to return to Akaroa, while the train continues on through the mountains to Greymouth on the West Coast.

Its a vintage train and it runs on cruise ship call days.

Here’s the web site for it. I think it’s a fairly recent addition to the tours.

https://www.marlboroughflyer.co.nz/

I haven't done the Picton one as it's fairly new but it sounds great.

I have done the Taieri Gorge in Dunedin and highly recommend it.

I've also done the TranzAlpine and, although it is also excellent, it's a very long day trip. Personally I think there is enough things around Akaroa to fill a day. It's a very pretty harbour, with rare dolphins. The Giant's House is really worth a visit, and there are local tours you can do although I haven't done any.

Its a vintage train and it runs on cruise ship call days.

Here’s the web site for it. I think it’s a fairly recent addition to the tours.

https://www.marlboroughflyer.co.nz/

Yes, it's a steam train, seems to be new for this coming cruise season, plus some weekends for locals on non-cruise ship days.

Hope the venture is successful.

Thanks to all for the information. We are booked on the Marlborough Train and think we will add the Taieri Gorge Train and skip the TranzAlpine. Two train rides will be plenty. Thanks again. Don't know what we would do without the help we receive from members of Cruise Critic.

Penny

Is there a better side for views on the Taieri Gorge train ride?

Left side facing towards the engine, from memory. The carriage we were in had a small viewing platform at the back of the carriage. However all the carriages may not be like that, I think they use a variety of heritage carriages.