Exclusive Gold, Platinum and Titanium activities on every voyage

Portolan

I did a search and found no routine reporting of what Seven Seas Society members have experienced as their "[e]xclusive Gold, Platinum and Titanium activities onboard or ashore on every voyage."

So I thought maybe a single thread (perhaps made sticky) where you can report your experiences would be helpful to others planning on the same cruise. I think that date, ship, brief cruise description, and event would be informative, e.g. (as a first contribution):

Our experiences have varied from bland to special*:

1/6/2009* - Voyager, 14-day Ft. Lauderdale to LA via Panama Canal, dinner and a show (special Signatures dinner and then show in the Horizon Lounge)

6/20/2009* - Mariner, 7-day Vancouver to Anchorage, champagne reception on forward crew deck sailing into Tracy Arm

7/22/2010 - Voyager, 10-day Copenhagen to Stockholm Baltic, sail-away cocktail reception

6/20/2012* - Voyager, 12-day Reykjavik to Copenhagen via Norway, cocktail reception with "Cirque Voyager Acrobats - a view behind the scenes"

We're particularly interested in what has been done on the Istanbul to Dubai cruises as we're doing that in October.

You have an amazing memory! I recall a few of the events but cannot recall what the itineraries were. It has been our experience that the number of guests on a particular cruise determines the event. On a couple of cruises, there were so many Titanium, Platinum and Gold members on board that Regent had to hold an event in the theater (special shows). With smaller groups we have had a special champagne brunch in Signatures and also cocktail parties outside of the Horizon Lounge.

Your Istanbul to Dubai itinerary (a GREAT itinerary BTW), is fairly long which typically means more repeat guests. Whatever they do, it should be fun!

Quite a few years ago we had a private intimate dinner on the Mariner in the Connoisseurs Lounge (aired out well so NO smell of smoke) that was really special. It was for Titanium's and there were only about 12 of us and done so nicely! The food came from Signatures with fine wine. I think we had a choice of 3 entrees.

I'm afraid those days are long gone. Now they've combined the Gold, Platinum and Titaniums tiers. With so many, it's nothing special. The last one we attended (2 years ago )was a cocktail reception off the Horizon deck. It was nice but poor turn out and nothing special.

Our best ever was on Navigator, in Mexico. We had a chocolate tea where they served chocolates from all the places we had been. Very nice. Most of the rest have been so lame that I have stopped attending. A sail in to curaçao, except we were an hour early sailing in, so we were at the dock. Lots of sail always, but I can see that better from the top deck.

Our best ever was on Navigator, in Mexico. We had a chocolate tea where they served chocolates from all the places we had been. Very nice. Most of the rest have been so lame that I have stopped attending. A sail in to curaçao, except we were an hour early sailing in, so we were at the dock. Lots of sail always, but I can see that better from the top deck.

We attend when there are smaller groups (nothing in the theater - no matter how good the entertainment is). We enjoy chatting with other long time Regent guests as well as the officers on board. I must say that chocolates from places that you have visited sounds decadent -- definitely my cup of tea:)

My absolute favorite was in Alaska on the Navigator - we were invited to a private outside area to watch the sail through to some of the most glorious scenery I have ever witnessed and they served hot chocolate. I remember it being very cold and we are wearing hats, coats and mittens (in August). A picture of the four of us, drinking hot chocolate and watching in awe sits on my desk in my office, it is one of my favorite family photographs. This was almost five years ago and the kids still talk about "their great adventure"

I remember it all being very hush, hush top secret. We received an invitation and it instructed us not to mention the event to the other passengers and then we met at one place and were walked to the doorway leading out - it may have been on the bridge, I can't remember. There were about 20 people present - initially from the wording on the invitation it did not sound that great, but the kids wanted to go and and am sure glad that we did.

I really can't remember anything else that stands out as being something really special.

gnomie :)

I enjoyed the tour of the ship's laundry and another time or two, a special dinner in Signatures [set menu which was fine] combined with a musical performance. Recently on Navigator it was an insignificant cocktail party on the deck of the Veranda;sad.

I have been less than impressed with these events. Here is a listing of the ones offered on my past cruises.

08-Navigator-Western Caribbean – Champagne and private opening of the new boutique/ received a Navigator wine bottle stop that I still use

09 – Navigator – Alaska – Bow of the ship private viewing of Hubbard Glacier with hot chocolate

10-Navigator-Australia to New Zealand- Whole ship invited to gala at the Melbourne Aquarium – did not attended

11-Voyager-Great Britian- Watching chefs cook in theatre with champagne

12-Navigator-Western Caribbean - Cocktail Sail-In to Key West served on the stern of the ship

2012 (I think) Mariner Trans-Atlantic - Sail away from Hamilton Bermuda on the forward Crew Deck with some good live music and lots of rum punches - or Swizzles perhaps. That was fun.

2010 (?) Also TA on the Navigator - Sail in to Barcelona BUT at Gailleo's - outside - so aft facing. Not too smart, that one!

Best of all was 2006 on the Voyager in Barcelona. Private tour of the Gothic quarter and the Picasso Museum with an exceptionally wonderful guide. Then cava and cookies at the Museum before returning to the ship.

10/19/2006, Voyager Monte Carlo to Athens, reception and concert at Ephesus at night (reception open to all SS Society members, not just Gold and above, and the concert was open to all passengers.) Reception (drinks and nibbles) was in the courtyard of the Celsus Library with concert in the Grand Theater. It was amazing! Mark Conroy was on this voyage. Coincidence...probably not.

March 2008 and every passenger on Voyager was invited to dine under the stars at Little Petra when we were overnight in Aqaba (and there was no-one any more special than the valued paying guests on board as far as I'm aware) It was a memorable evening and breathtakingly beautiful but you've guessed, people complained about the cold, some didn't like the food and others didn't get off the bus at all. It was our first Regent cruise and probably the clearest indicator that however hard you try, there will always be complaints.

March 2008 and every passenger on Voyager was invited to dine under the stars at Little Petra when we were overnight in Aqaba (and there was no-one any more special than the valued paying guests on board as far as I'm aware) It was a memorable evening and breathtakingly beautiful but you've guessed, people complained about the cold, some didn't like the food and others didn't get off the bus at all. It was our first Regent cruise and probably the clearest indicator that however hard you try, there will always be complaints.

That sounds magical and reminds me of when Regent overnights in Walvis Bay, Namibia and has a dinner under the stars in the Namib Desert, amongst the sand dunes - also for all guests. As you said, there were people that complained that there was sand (hmmmmm, wonder what they expected to find at "sand dunes") and it was cool in the evening (we were all told that it would be). It could not have been a more perfect evening.

Some people are simply going to find fault with everything -- sometimes I need to remind myself of this. We will be in Walvis Bay later this year and look forward to our dinner under the stars. This time, if we are at a table with people who complain, we will simply change tables.

We were at that a few years ago? Food wasn't great but OK as I recall.

Desert in the desert!

Yes -- we did it in 2011 which was the last time Regent went to South Africa until 2014 (and I do not believe they stopped in Walvis Bay in 2014). Some of the meat dishes were a bit different but loved the stir fry they were doing. The entertainment and setting was magnificent. Somehow they managed to get almost all the passengers to the site using buses and various other forms of transportation over the washboard roads.

Not trying to get off track here but, IMO, this was not a cruise for people that are looking for things to be the same as where they live. Sadly, we went to a few places on this cruise where people refused to get off of the bus. It was quite a slap in the face to the locals that had prepared food, etc. to welcome us.

Getting back on subject -- we try to appreciate whatever Regent does to show appreciation to their loyal guests - whether it be the Seven Seas Society Cocktail Party or the events for Gold and above. Sometimes we only make an appearance at the event -- a chance to shake hands and thank the officers and crew for all their do and then leave. We also find these events more positive than others as the passengers have been with Regent for a long time and the odds are greater that they love Regent as much as we do.

My impression from various posters' time line reports, is that these 'special events' have indeed become less and less special. No one would have had to stay long to shake hands at our recent event since the only officer present was the Hotel Manager.

My impression from various posters' time line reports, is that these 'special events' have indeed become less and less special. No one would have had to stay long to shake hands at our recent event since the only officer present was the Hotel Manager.

We would have found this extremely disappointing. Since Regent does not have a "Hotel Manager", I assume that only the General Manager was present. Had we attended a Gold and above event with only the G.M., it would have been disappointing. Had the Captain been otherwise engaged, the least they could have done was to have the Cruise Consultant, Cruise Director, F&B Manager, etc. present at the event.

One of the events was on the 2007 Atlantic Crossing; We filled up the bow of the ship before lunch and were servoce canape's and champagne while we had a photograph taken. Capt. Knute stood on the very front of the Bow - while the ship was moving. Scared me because we were moving!

I was also on the Mariner in 2006 out of Juneau and was invited to do the sail out of Juneau from the Bridge. It was spectacular. I don't think it was a Silver/Gold Event but it was very special as there were only a very few of us.

Sorry, incorrect title but same sole officer present. No other staff except the waiters passing the canapes and glasses of champagne. In fact on this cruise we saw very few officers out and about until sitting in the lovely Seven Seas Lounge where they gathered to march into Krew Kapers we were astounded to see that so many officers actually existed! It's just my view but I think that Regent needs to tighten some areas....and that the responses in this thread illustrate this. Paula

Sorry, incorrect title but same sole officer present. No other staff except the waiters passing the canapes and glasses of champagne. In fact on this cruise we saw very few officers out and about until sitting in the lovely Seven Seas Lounge where they gathered to march into Krew Kapers we were astounded to see that so many officers actually existed! It's just my view but I think that Regent needs to tighten some areas....and that the responses in this thread illustrate this. Paula

Paula, I am trying to understand your post. This thread has been kind of all over the place -- including Gold and above events with other events. We have not been to a Titanium, Platinum, Gold event where multiple officers have not been present. Usually the Captain is there (when possible) as well as the General Manager (formerly known as "Hotel Director", the Cruise Consultant, Cruise Director, F&B Director as well as other officers that may not be recognized unless you read their name tag. Kindly explain what areas you feel that Regent needs to "tighten some areas".

IMO, the Gold and above event is special to Regent as well as to passengers. They have gotten to the point where there are too many passengers to have at a small, intimate event. While it doesn't sound fair to have an event for Platinum and Titanium, this may be the only alternative if Regent is to put forth the type of event that people would be happy with.

Any thoughts?

I was commenting on the topic and gave a history of some previous experiences as did others. I offered a specific and recent (New Year cruise) report of the 'event' . it consisted of a sail away cocktail party aft on the open dining area of the Veranda/buffet dining venue. Canapés were passed and there was caviar and bubbly. One officer, the GM, attended. Over. Not special.

My comment about seeing so many officer come out of the woodwork for the crew show was my way of contrasting turn out. We saw very few officers during this ten day cruise, unlike other luxury lines.

I think if Regent wants to offer a special event that they need to put some ump into it. Ship companies generally have lots of fun ideas in this category.

Ditto for New Years Eve. Having the CD hike up her skirt to teach line dancing is not exactly high end. We were at sail on Jan 1st and there no special event..buffet,etc. Seemed very bland for a holiday cruise.

Also, regent could use more guest entertainers. The night that the lead female singer could not perform, they pulled down a screen and showed a movie...rather than being able to switch/substitute another entertainer.just my opinion but I don't think that the JAR troop is so talented that they can supply most of the entertainment for a luxury cruise.

They could also tighten up the pool bar where your Bloody Mary comes straight out of the Mr and Mrs T bottle and without any garnish. It was kind of a sloppy

Bar scene

Then we would have regent follow it's own rules and keep pampered babies out of the pools and whirl pools???and screaming toddler out of the MDR at 9pm.

So a few of my ideas about tightening up,,,,,,Paula

R

Knut - ah! Knut!! A seriously wonderful captain and person. Too bad he retired. I loved his 1200 noon announcements from the Bridge -- "Hello, it's me from the bridge".

I would be very surprised if the Cruise Consultant (Brian O'Brien and his colleagues) were not present at each and every one of these "events" - after all, all the loyal customers are there...

Paula, I think you've put your finger on the trend I was seeing when I last cruised Regent. My last time on a Regent ship was 2012. And my favorite ship was (and may well still be) the Navigator. (What can I say? I like quirky.)

But I also like inspired. And my last few cruises on Regent, what I saw was downright dull. As the prices have gone up, up, up, the specialness has gone down, down, down. I was on the same cruises as NCCruzQueen (other than the 2008 one), and the only GPT event that was at all special was the Hubbard Glacier from the bow. It was that perspective of Hubbard Glacier (with Terry Breen over the loudspeaker) that made it special. The rest were more "why are you wasting my time and your resources?" It's sad to hear about what you are saying about things like the entertainment and the pool bar. Those kinds of things set a luxury line apart.

I have to say, in addition to the cost and the messiness of the excursions, one of the reasons I haven't been on Regent in a while, and have no current plans to go, is that the itineraries have also been uninspired. I have my eye on Explorer--its maiden season has some interesting ports. But I have trouble paying close to $1,000 a day (for lower-end cabins no less) at all, much less for a ship in its shakedown phase.

I miss Regent, and keep looking for the right cruise to go back. But I've pretty much moved to Crystal at this point. I'm not thrilled with the smaller cabins or the rigidity of the dinner seating, but itineraries, service, activities, events, etc. are as inspired as Regent once was, pricing is usually in reasonable range, and I feel free to choose their excursions or arrange my own.

I used to be one of the people who would jump to Regent's defense when criticisms arose. Now I find myself being one of the critics.