Exchange dollars for CPs?

JaneAustenCruiser

Stopping in Columbia on the Celebrity Reflection at the end of February. Should I get some CPs out of an ATM at the port terminal? I hate using USD when I'm visiting another country - it feels like not traveling, LOL.

That being said, are the ATMs at the port terminal legit bank ATMs or the mom-n-pop kind you see in 7-11s here in the US?

Thanks! First time to Columbia - excited!

No need to. They took my US dollars no problem. And I wouldn't recommend using ATMs anywhere abroad unless you were 100% certain they were from a trusted bank.

We just did the overnight stop at Cartagena with Reflection, and I agree don’t get local currency. Also be aware that their currency symbol on checks etc. seemed to be $ and when they price in US they write U$

The Fort entrance was $24000 which is about U$8

We sbsolutely loved Cartagena and took a U$20 taxi to Old Town. Paid U$20 for hop on bus there and rode around for 90 mins. At the end of the day there is a shuttle back to the ship if you have a hop on ticket.

b309d85022d057529aa3b0e44ac7b8c7.jpg336b92fa9bb543273cc95eafdb5c08f9.jpg4c205c9d5b139950848e071fac1bbd2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read somewhere that you cannot use US dollars to get into any government-owned facility. The only destination on our upcoming port day in Santa Marta is the estate where Bolivar was living at when he died, now a historical, botanical and art museum about 15 minutes from the port.

I thought I would need an ATM to get money for the local taxis and site admission. Is this wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting these lovely photos, Keith. We ended up never docking in Santa Marta because the port pilot came out when we arrived last Friday and told it us it was too dangerous to try to dock due to high winds. I never previously missed a cruise ship stop where we were docking, not tendering. So I especially appreciate seeing your photos of what we missed! :)