Bruges or Ghent?

rcandkc

Marq I was going to add "but don't totally discount Ghent" which has a magnificent cathedral and is not the total tourist honey pot that Bruges turns into at certain times of the year. I'm glad I'm not the lone voice!

IMO, Bruges.

But a few years ago I went on a Regent ShorEx to "Flanders Fields" down in the southern part of Belgium near the French boarder. Countryside is charming. Ypres is a very interesting city that is a little more off the Tourist tracks. Stops were make at several WWI cemeteries and monuments as well as the Flanders Fields Museum. If you are any kind of history buff or just want to see the country side and some less tourist areas, you might consider this one if it is sill offered.

J

IMO, Bruges.

But a few years ago I went on a Regent ShorEx to "Flanders Fields" down in the southern part of Belgium near the French boarder. Countryside is charming. Ypres is a very interesting city that is a little more off the Tourist tracks. Stops were make at several WWI cemeteries and monuments as well as the Flanders Fields Museum. If you are any kind of history buff or just want to see the country side and some less tourist areas, you might consider this one if it is sill offered.

This is under consideration. I remember reading the poem in high school. It sounds like a beautiful day.

With just a day available and if you have never been to either before then Bruges would be a sensible choice in my view. That said I much prefer Ghent. It is less artificial, has a vibrant university town feel and better and cheaper restaurants and bars. Overall there is more to Ghent in my opinion and with a longer visit you would be fully occupied, something you would probably not say about Bruges. Bruges is also extremely busy in the peak season.

I agree with an earlier post recommending Ypres and its surrounds. The WW1 sites and graveyards are incredibly powerful and moving. The time I spent there and around Mons had a profound impact upon me.

+1 for Bruges....I'll toss out another idea. Rent a car and go to Waterloo.

Agree. We took an Uber to Waterloo as we are history buffs. There is a lovely restaurant, gift shop and museum on the property and interesting tour where you can walk to the top of the hill (or not). It is a very pretty countryside drive, for sure.

Ghent. Bruges is now really run amok with tourists, you cannot even take a good photo without masses in it. Pretty little town to STAY in, so that you can really enjoy it at night when the hordes have left. But not a day trip.

Having said that, do Ypres if offered....in a heartbeat.

• 5 months later...
On 9/15/2018 at 7:48 PM, QE2_Fan said:

+1 for Bruges. Such a beautiful picturesque town. True they both are but there a almost almost ethereal beauty to Bruges that puts it in my top spot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok ... this is an old thread.  Can I ask how you travelled to Bruges?  I will be in Brussels on 5/10th.  There is a tour leaving by train to Bruges.  It says it's a 7 hour tour and our stay in Brussels is 10 hours ... so we should be able to get back to the ship in time.  Thanks for any info. you could provide.