Does dining with an officer enhance your cruise?

Pamela1

I am asking this as i see some folks really enjoy dining with and spending time with staff on board.

Just wondered if it was a feeling of importance or just a general liking of the staff that you have got to know throughout many cruises. ?

Pam.

I am asking this as i see some folks really enjoy dining with and spending time with staff on board.

Just wondered if it was a feeling of importance or just a general liking of the staff that you have got to know throughout many cruises. ?

Pam.

I enjoy dining with staff and officers. I do not enjoy the airs and egos of many of the guests I have been with at the table. I enjoy hearing about the experiences of the staff and officers. I do not enjoy guests talking over the crew to brag.

Ship staff and crew in general, I like to chat with everyone. I have met so many interesting people by taking the time to talk to the crew. I met a ship steward that was a vet in a communist block country before immigrating to the Philippines. His story could have been a book. He was quiet and I chatted with him every morning. He finally opened up when I mentioned my sister was a vet. Each person on the ships crew can make our trips special and memorable. I wish passengers would realize how much they get back by taking a few moments with the crew members.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Forums mobile app

An interesting question. For my husband and I, we always decline the invitation for dinner just because we like to dine by ourselves or with another couple that we sometimes will meet "organically" on the cruise. We enjoyed a very lovely dinner hosted by the captain when on Seabourn, but in the end we just found it to be too much work making conversation with people that we didn't have much in common with. I'm impressed by the hardworking officers and staff who host these dinners, especially the social hostess who brings solo travelers together for dinner. That being said, I view this as a work assignment for them and we always decline.

Edited by morneau

Pam great thread. We have enjoyed invited dinners with officers a few times except for one occasion.

We were made to feel most uncomfortable by one couple who didn’t wish to engage in conversation with us,and did not make us feel welcome. The officer was delightful she definitely made us feel welcome and engaged gracefully with us all.

It’s not something I would go out my way to be mentioning publicly that we had dined with at officers tables it would just be a small part of an enjoyable cruise with my husband. Jean.:D

Truly interesting to review previous postings. A complete range of opinions. We have never had a negative experience at such dinners with either the Captain, Cruise Director, Assistant Cruise Director/Social Director Staff Officers, or members of the performance group.

We have also initiated dinners with singers and dancers due to these young folks knowing our daughter from their previous performance experiences in NYC, Chicago, and so-on. These kids have very-busy rehearsal-performance schedules. Yet, they have welcomed the opportunity to interact with guests in a social setting.

Perhaps all of us "act" to a certain extent in such venues. However, the Officers seemed at-ease. No shop talk. No one-upsmanship by guests as to who was in what "level" of patronage, or suite accommodation.

On several occasions, it was obvious guests invited to these dinners had something in common. That was usually prior military affiliation with USA or Commonwealth countries. Great conversations. We have not turned-down such opportunities because they have been pleasant. Folks on best-behavior.

Now, just wait: the next situation will turn out to be a bummer.

GOARMY!

We have had both good and bad but more good than bad. There are some officers that we have been friends with for years that we love dining with. And one of my favorite evenings on a cruise ever was on Oceania when we dined with the captain and the CD having been invited as a thank you for me attending a medical emergency on an excursion. We laughed so much. My husband pretty much never met a stranger, so he can talk to almost anyone, which helps.

An interesting question. For my husband and I, we always decline the invitation for dinner just because we like to dine by ourselves or with another couple that we sometimes will meet "organically" on the cruise.... I'm impressed by the hardworking officers and staff who host these dinners, especially the social hostess who brings solo travelers together for dinner. That being said, I view this as a work assignment for them and we always decline.

I agree with you, shedevil and wripro on this. Going forward we will be much more selective on what we accept. when we sail on Regent. On the WC, this year, we sat most nights at a table across from Davor's table and watched him have dinner over the course of the cruise with all the WCers, high level SSS members and the top suites passengers (who wanted to come) including us in groups of 4 or 6. We also dinned at the Chief Engineer's table with another couple. It is part of their jobs. We do not really enjoy these small forced groupings for a lot of reasons.

We also dinned with Jamie and Dana and thoroughly enjoyed this dinner, however their dinners were mostly just with one couple. We were also invited to join one other officer and it was just the 3 of us. That was also great.

We really enjoy a table for two, but had many wonderful evenings with people we met in the lounges before dinner and while doing other activities on the ship. But we knew going in that we had some common interest so had lots to easy conversation during dinner.

Edited by cwn

Our experiences have been positive. On our last cruise we dined with the HR officer. Discussion topics went from methods of training crew from many, many countries, to information about the Crew Fund, to ideas concerning philanthropy. The evening was very interesting and enjoyable.

Pam.

Can be fun with Staff you don't know. We accepted an invitation to dine with the "Environmental Officer" who was from an eastern European country. He was a delightful dinner host at a table for 5 and we and another couple (who we met that night) later expressed to the Captain our thanks for a terrific dinner.

I've never had a bad experience doing it,but it doesn't make or break our cruise if we're invited or not.Like others I always enjoy talking to any of the crew. I like to ask them where they're from, family etc. We once had dinner with a couple we met who invited 2 of the dancers to dine with us. I don't know how true it is,but the couple said the dancers only get to eat with the passengers if invited. It made for a very pleasant and interesting evening.

I've never had a bad experience doing it,but it doesn't make or break our cruise if we're invited or not.Like others I always enjoy talking to any of the crew. I like to ask them where they're from, family etc. We once had dinner with a couple we met who invited 2 of the dancers to dine with us. I don't know how true it is,but the couple said the dancers only get to eat with the passengers if invited. It made for a very pleasant and interesting evening.

The entertainers are only allowed to eat with passengers if invited. Correct. There was a girl from Tulsa who was a singer onboard one of our cruises. She and our son were the same age and actually knew each other. We invited her and one of the other entertainers who was her friend to dinner. They had to get permission. We had a wonderful evening.

The entertainers are only allowed to eat with passengers if invited. Correct. There was a girl from Tulsa who was a singer onboard one of our cruises. She and our son were the same age and actually knew each other. We invited her and one of the other entertainers who was her friend to dinner. They had to get permission. We had a wonderful evening.

This is very true. We did this, inviting a husband and wife entertainers on Valentine’s Day to our suite but they needed permission to have dinner with us but it all worked out well. Permission was granted. This was on the Mariner and the singer was Elisa James and Peter James.

One more thought:

We have also shared Compass Rose dinners with "Onboard Cultural Speakers/Lecturers", or whatever name is currently in vogue for these folks. (Side comment: These ladies and gentlemen have always been at the top of their game as to providing current, relative, and accurate information as to that particular itinerary and ports-of-call.)

Not to get sidetracked. On all but one occasion, I extended the dinner invitation, based on a particular presentation which resonated as to a common background and experience related to military service. That other situation was when the Guest Lecturer sought me out--based on a question I asked during the lecture.

You just never know when present cruising will rekindle a past shared memory/experience with on-board Staff or Guest Lecturers.

GOARMY!

Best meal ever.....my best friend and I enjoying a private Valentines dinner with Guiseppe G (Hotel Director at the time) and John Mc (Captain at the time) with Miki our Maitr D laughing along with us. Cannot remember laughing as much, ever. Yes, that enhanced my trip - and my life.

We haven’t regretted our dinners.

With the Captain, I sat to his right and he answered all my questions. He quietly talked about passenger expectations.

With the Hotel Director, we talked about certain passenger behaviors and laughed.

With an entertainer, she had her husband along, and we talked about the life afloat and travels. I was fascinated that she ordered only a beef steak. No sides, no other courses. Lovely evening dress and figure!

As for the other passengers at the table, it’s not different from choosing to share a table. Some people are amusing and some don’t try. If you get invited, do it. If it’s boring, it’s only a dinner.

It was never boring to dine with Guiseppe; he was very entertaining. We were invited to dine with a captain who I would have loved to be able to talk to, but had decided against bringing formal wear with us for that cruise. They offered to try to find suitable clothes for us, but it was before my husband's weight loss surgery and we were pretty sure they wouldn't find anything to fit him so we declined regretfully. That captain retired not too long after our cruise.

Our most-pleasant dinner with Staff was during a Navigator May-June 2018 cruise from L.A. to NYC. That was with Cruise Director Ray Solaire. It has been our good fortune to sail with him on several occasions. A genuine gentleman with a fascinating performance history in Great Britain before he "embarked" in the cruise business.

Ray asked us to join him for dinner. We did not talk about cruising, or Regent, or such-stuff. Mainly, Ray recounted his stage time and trials, and family. What a hoot! He had me almost, literally, falling off my chair laughing. I strongly suggested Ray reprise his comments into a stand-up, stand-alone routine. Hope he does so.

Another pleasant experience getting to know Staff just a little better.

GOARMY!

• 2 weeks later...
One word....NO! Some of the most boring evening I've ever had have been at the Captain's table. Dining there seems to bring out the worst in people. jmo.

Absolutely. Will never forget one pompous a** from California who looked down at us because we are from Michigan. He actually said something. I wanted to challenge him but I wasn't going to be rude at the officers table

On the other hand, on the Raddisson Diamond my sister and I had one of the best nights ever sitting at the Engineers table. We were next to the Captains table but our group of five was having way more fun. We shut down the dining room and carried the party to the lounge

Think he may have gotten in a bit of trouble for having more fun than the captain!

Edited by purpleally
Forgot something