Be aware of RC promotions!!!

Plankton82

I think the OP is making a big deal about it because he would still love to go on a royal Caribbean Cruise. He is just upset about getting a bad deal

Here's the thing....

Deal 1 was what they thought was a good deal, otherwise they would not have booked it.

Deal 2 is a better deal, and deal 3 may be even better.

But if you did not know about either of those, you would still have a good deal in your mind.

If you are constantly worried that you didn't the best price on X, well, good luck with that. It gets worse after final payment and prices drop a LOT, and you wish you booked after final payment instead of 2 years ago.

Basically, I'm not interested in living a "coulda, woulda, shoulda" life. At some point, just move on and enjoy.

This is from their website.

Is this false advertising?

You're getting into a really interesting bit of marketing rules here. It probably is the best price for the options they're offering on that booking. The new offer (which is almost certainly more expensive than the one you took to make up for the all-inclusive) is a different options package and therefore doesn't count in the rankings of the old offer.

Beyond that, "best" is what's known as a weasel word. Most people think "best" means that nothing else is as good. But in marketing, it can actually just mean that it's the same as other products that are equally good. For instance, Crest works just as well as Colgate, so both products can be called "best" without lying. If one claimed to be "better" then they'd have to back that up with evidence that it really is better than the other.

So, you got the "best" price, and if this week they offer the exact same package you bought at the exact same price, then you'd still have gotten the "best" price.

If they were to offer the exact same package for less money than you paid, you could get the difference refunded provided you hadn't paid your final payment (which is why you should always wait until deadline to remit final payment).

Here's the thing....

If you are constantly worried that you didn't the best price on X, well, good luck with that. It gets worse after final payment and prices drop a LOT, and you wish you booked after final payment instead of 2 years ago.

I agree. When you find a price you like, buy. Don't torment yourself by seeing if others get better prices. That is a great way to spoil your vacation. Just rest with the fact that you search, the best you could, made an informed decision, and got a price you were satisfied with. THEN ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!

In spite of that logic, try this.... There will be ALOT of folks that paid MORE than you on the cruise! There, it all balanced out.:D

Convince me on why I should think that after a promotion or sales prices could drop even more please.

Cruise prices are fluid, they go up, they go down, promotions change. It’s the same on all of the lines, it’s a gamble. Book a price/promotion you think is a good deal.

We've had a problem with Royal and their promotions.

(UK) We booked Navigator for 2019 and paid x amount, I rang Royal as the cost has dropped dramatically and was told we'd loose the £300 deposit and have to pay another £300 if we changed booking.

Not worth it on top of the phone call costs so we've stuck with what we have.

I agree. When you find a price you like, buy. Don't torment yourself by seeing if others get better prices. That is a great way to spoil your vacation. Just rest with the fact that you search, the best you could, made an informed decision, and got a price you were satisfied with. THEN ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!

In spite of that logic, try this.... There will be ALOT of folks that paid MORE than you on the cruise! There, it all balanced out.:D

Absolutely! Different people pay different prices.

It is a capitalist economy, where the cruise line tries to squeeze out as much as they can from each and every passenger.

In fact, I book a cruise ONLY if I find such an AMAZING BARGAIN, that there is no way it could get any cheaper or better.

There has to be a rationale for selecting one particular cruise and rejecting hundreds of others!

I understand your frustration OP, but to say you won't sail RCI again because of it is very shortsighted in my opinion.

Have you ever flown? Same thing applies. Prices can change drastically up or down after you book your flight. I've certainly been bit by that and frustrated too. Cruises are no different.

Here's the question: Were you happy with the price you paid when you first booked? Looking forward to your vacation? If yes, then leave it that and stop looking. Be happy.

Dan

I then find that the prices of my upcoming cruises keep increasing every now and then. As of now, all of them are 40- 60% more than what I paid.

When onboard, if anyone happens to mention how much they paid and I realize that I have paid much less, I keep my mouth shut.

Because I don't want to spoil their mood or vacation.[emoji3]

That is not what I have read about US customers being fully refunded on their deposits and getting the better deal

If you book with the refundable deposit option (which is higher priced and typically loses out on OBC), then you can cancel and rebook to your hearts content without any penalty up to final payment date.

Dan

In fact, I book a cruise ONLY if I find such an AMAZING BARGAIN, that there is no way it could get any better or cheaper

There has to be a rationale for selecting one particular cruise and rejecting hundreds of others!

If only everyone followed this principle of booking a cruise ONLY if it is AMAZING VALUE, then Cruise prices would crash across the board and all of us would benefit![emoji7] [emoji6]

Convince me on why I should think that after a promotion or sales prices could drop even more please.

I have not yet booked with RCCL, and don't care about the promotions any cruise line offers -- they are a fluke and come and go and sometimes even raise the rates.

My concern would be with the price dropping after I booked. And so far, on Princess, HAL and Carnival, they have honored the drop and either adjusted my rate if it is before final payment or given me onboard credit. They will not, however, add a promotion that started after I booked. They use different incentives on a month-to-month basis to attract passengers. I booked many times where a new promotion comes out the next day or week and I know if I had waited, prices may have gone up and then I would be unhappy about that.

Prices go up and down all the time... promotions come and go. Supply and demand. In the US, you can always call and have them reprice the ressie with all promotions up until date of final payment. However, this goes for everyone: if you are happy with the price, then book the cruise. You got it at a price you were happy with.

If you book with the refundable deposit option (which is higher priced and typically loses out on OBC), then you can cancel and rebook to your hearts content without any penalty up to final payment date.

Dan

You'd be surprised. Though not the norm have actually have seen many refundable prices listed for less then non refundable. Some are Guarantee cabin's. Actually booked 1-2 of them that were NOT guarantee cabins. I chalk it up to Royal site's mystery math...

Dan

That’s only if you change ships or sail dates. With the non refundable deposit you can get price drops and take advantage of new promotions right up until final payment.

That’s only if you change ships or sail dates. With the non refundable deposit you can get price drops and take advantage of new promotions right up until final payment.

The refundable is no different

I do switch to non-refundable fare if I get a better price after I have booked my airline tickets. At that point I am for sure going

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

There is no way to predict when any business will offer a sale or what perks they may provide. You either like the price you paid when you booked it or you didn't. What if the sale had been 3 days later, does it make any difference in the end - No it doesn't.

Prices will change all the time you just have to determine when you book if you are happy with that price and options or not. If you weren't then you should have waited and continued to watch until you found terms you were more happy with.

If the drink package costs more than 300 that you said you would lose, then I would still cancel it and take the loss. At least chalk it up to now not having to pay the drink package, or that you got the drink package for 300 if that is less than it would have cost to buy it.

Unfortunately I suspect that the OP has negative feelings towards RCI, as expressed in his initial opening comment that he will never cruise with them again, even before he gets on his first cruise.

He is likely to look for, and find faults in every aspect.

Perhaps £300 is a cheap price to pay to cut your losses.? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I suspect that the OP has negative feelings towards RCI, as expressed in his initial opening comment that he will never cruise with them again, even before he gets on his first cruise.

He is likely to look for, and find faults in every aspect.

Perhaps £300 is a cheap price to pay to cut your losses.? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First cruise? Done Independence and Rhapsody. Never had an issue with their pricing/promotions even though I know for sure I did not get the best deal. This one felt a bit odd but as most of you say, this is how it works so there isn't much to do really.

I have just cruised with RCI but will look for alternatives for my fourth one.

I know Sparks. I understand prices fluctuate and marketing strategies come into play but I was surprised the new better promotion was offered only one day after I booked my cruise. If the new deal had come out sometime later I wouldnt have complain but only one day later?

No matter when they do it, it will be one day after SOMEONE just booked. This time it was you.

First cruise? Done Independence and Rhapsody. Never had an issue with their pricing/promotions even though I know for sure I did not get the best deal. This one felt a bit odd but as most of you say, this is how it works so there isn't much to do really.

I have just cruised with RCI but will look for alternatives for my fourth one.

I know it's not much help now but you would have done better to have booked at next cruise onboard if you've just cruised. I'm pretty sure they now offer UK bookings one free change, not sure how that would work here but you may have got something.

Julie

I know Sparks. I understand prices fluctuate and marketing strategies come into play but I was surprised the new better promotion was offered only one day after I booked my cruise. If the new deal had come out sometime later I wouldnt have complain but only one day later?
This is why you *never* break the cardinal rule of cruise procurement: NEVER check on a price after you have fully paid it. It will kill your soul; but you can't blame the cruise line. They're in it to sell rooms - but like other posters mentioned, most likely the "sale" really isn't a sale.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Just seen they have raised the prices within the same promotion. When the promotion started (4 Sep)an inside cabin was £689. Today it's gone up to £707. Promo ends 5 Nov.

So be aware and don't think that because the promotion is many days ahead to end that prices won't change!! They do!!!