How easy is Capri on your own?

Bunnycake20

Hank,

No problem with the return times. I´ve been to Capri so often that I don´t mind leaving an hour earlier. I never had a problem getting a return time I would have taken anyway. Usually I return between 2:30 and 4 pm. No problem to get a return ferry with the same company in that time frame.

steamboats

Salerno depends on your docking time, it's not as easy because it's a long ferry ride, two hours each way, and there are only a couple of crossings each day.

If you'll share your port times we can help you figure it out.

Hi,

It's a Thursday, 0700-1830

Thanks for helping

It's a Thursday, 0700-1830

You'll have several choices for the trip over, the issue, as always, is the return.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical as I age but I can't help but think that the cruise lines set these departure times to make it difficult for passengers to do things on their own.

Earliest return ferry from Capri arrives to Molo Manfredi, where the cruise ship docks, at 18:25, much too late for an 18:30 departure.

That said, the cruise line excursions will return on that same ferry, so if you pay for the expensive excursion that's the boat you'll be on. I have yet to hear anyone report back that a cruise excursion used a private boat, they use public conveyance to get to Capri.

So if you're willing to take the risk you could go on your own and return on this ferry alongside fellow passengers who paid for a cruise line excursion.

Your only other option would be to take a mid-afternoon (15:10 on Lucibello) ferry from Capri to Amalfi, followed 15 minutes later by a ferry from Amalfi to Salerno. This plan works and allows you about five hours on Capri.

It comes down to your personal comfort with risk, which would be impacted by what the next day's port of call will be. If you're heading up to Civitavecchia or Livorno after Salerno it's relatively easy and inexpensive to get yourself to the next stop if you miss the ship. If, on the other hand, your next stop is on Sicily or Malta it's less easy to catch up. Do-able, just more expensive.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical as I age but I can't help but think that the cruise lines set these departure times to make it difficult for passengers to do things on their own.

You are not alone. I've suspected the same for years, ever since shore excursions became a major money maker for the cruise lines....

You'll have several choices for the trip over, the issue, as always, is the return.

Earliest return ferry from Capri arrives to Molo Manfredi, where the cruise ship docks, at 18:25, much too late for an 18:30 departure.

That said, the cruise line excursions will return on that same ferry, so if you pay for the expensive excursion that's the boat you'll be on. I have yet to hear anyone report back that a cruise excursion used a private boat, they use public conveyance to get to Capri.

So if you're willing to take the risk you could go on your own and return on this ferry alongside fellow passengers who paid for a cruise line excursion.

Your only other option would be to take a mid-afternoon (15:10 on Lucibello) ferry from Capri to Amalfi, followed 15 minutes later by a ferry from Amalfi to Salerno. This plan works and allows you about five hours on Capri.

It comes down to your personal comfort with risk, which would be impacted by what the next day's port of call will be. If you're heading up to Civitavecchia or Livorno after Salerno it's relatively easy and inexpensive to get yourself to the next stop if you miss the ship. If, on the other hand, your next stop is on Sicily or Malta it's less easy to catch up. Do-able, just more expensive.

Thanks for the reply.

Funny enough, the ship's "Capri on your Own" tour is from 07:15-16:45, so they must be using a different ferry to get back to the port from Capri.

Next day is at sea, day after that is Venice.

Sounds like the ship's tour may be the best option (Grrr, annoys me when that happens!)

Funny enough, the ship's "Capri on your Own" tour is from 07:15-16:45, so they must be using a different ferry to get back to the port from Capri.

Something about this didn't feel right when I first read it so I did a little digging around.

When you read the details of the shore excursion (I'm seriously putting off what I really should be doing this morning) it only specifies a boat trip in one direction.

Further, they use 1.5 hours with the cruise getting there, then 5 hours on the island, leaving thee hours for the return. Three? That doesn't add up, unless...

I suspect that you will be ferried back to Naples or Sorrento and put on a bus back to Salerno.

Have you tried posting on the RCL board to find someone who has already taken this excursion to get the details?

Something about this didn't feel right when I first read it so I did a little digging around.

When you read the details of the shore excursion (I'm seriously putting off what I really should be doing this morning) it only specifies a boat trip in one direction.

Further, they use 1.5 hours with the cruise getting there, then 5 hours on the island, leaving thee hours for the return. Three? That doesn't add up, unless...

I suspect that you will be ferried back to Naples or Sorrento and put on a bus back to Salerno.

Have you tried posting on the RCL board to find someone who has already taken this excursion to get the details?

Hmm, excellent point. Will do as you suggest. Many thanks.

Thanks for this very helpful information.

This was my day there, hope you are as lucky with the weather as I was. All the best, Tony

uujBnlG7ahs

Tony,

Great video. Can I ask, how long did you spend in Capri from getting off/on ferry please?

Thanks

Mark

Tony,

Great video. Can I ask, how long did you spend in Capri from getting off/on ferry please?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

We got the 9.30 ish hydrofoil to Capri at around 10.15 and came back on the 3.30 ferry so we had about 5 hours, during which time we also went to San Michele. However depending on your port hours you can do a much better job because we intended to get the 8.30 hydrofoil but for reasons which escape me, missed it, wasting an hour. Also, we didn't buy our return transport when we first arrived and had to take the slow ferry back not the speedy hydrofoil, so lost another half hour there and had a 20 minute walk back to the ship, not a 250 yard one. All in all a poor effort. Hank is the expert on buying the tickets so if you do as he suggests above you will be much more time-efficient. All the best, Tony

q-TA79Z4-ZE

Hi Hank

How are you?

I will be in Naples on a cruise in 3 weeks.

This is my third cruise. Did Capri, Pompei and Amalfi coast.What would you recommend to do then it’s not too touristy?

Thank you in advance

When you arrive on Capri you get off the boat on a long pier. As you walk off there is a small ticket office (on your right unless they have moved the place). We have long suggested stopping at that office, checking the schedule and immediately buying your return ticket. Why do a few of us suggest doing this instead of buying a return ticket in Naples? Because there are two companies running the jetboats and they do not accept each other's tickets. In Naples they are at separate windows and folks sometimes find it difficult to run around trying to find the various company schedules. But there is only one ticket office on Capri and they have a unified return schedule posted. Just make sure you buy a return ticket on a boat that is going to "Molo Beverello" at Naples. There is a 2nd Naples ferry pier (Mergellina) which is some distance from the cruise port and not where you want to be.

Hank

Hi Hank

Also one more question.

Would you go to Sorrento and Capri in one day?

Is it doable?

Thanks

When you arrive on Capri you get off the boat on a long pier. As you walk off there is a small ticket office (on your right unless they have moved the place). We have long suggested stopping at that office, checking the schedule and immediately buying your return ticket. Why do a few of us suggest doing this instead of buying a return ticket in Naples? Because there are two companies running the jetboats and they do not accept each other's tickets. In Naples they are at separate windows and folks sometimes find it difficult to run around trying to find the various company schedules. But there is only one ticket office on Capri and they have a unified return schedule posted. Just make sure you buy a return ticket on a boat that is going to "Molo Beverello" at Naples. There is a 2nd Naples ferry pier (Mergellina) which is some distance from the cruise port and not where you want to be.

Hank

Not Hank but I have a point of view on your question.

While it is physically possible to get to both Capri and Sorrento within the confines of a port day, you'll give short shift to both. If you are only interested in the Blue Grotto on Capri and have no desire to see anything else, then your plan will work.

Euro Cruiser and I generally see eye to eye on these kind of issues and this is no exception. When it comes to Capri vs Sorrento there is no contest...Capri wins hands down. Regarding Capri, its a great place to spend a day. Yes, you can go to the Blue Grotto (if its open) which is one of the world's biggest tourist traps that most folks want to experience...once! But our favorite activity on Capri is to head up to the town of Anacapri (via taxi or bus from Capri Town) and take the single chair lift (not a good idea if you are afraid of heights) up to the top of the mountain for a fun ride and amazing views. We also enjoy just walking, browsing, and having lunch in Capri Town. While in Capri Town make sure you walk along the Via Longano....which is this island's version of Rodeo Drive....with some boutiques to match.

Hank

Thank you so much for a quick respond. What about Ischia Island or Procida Island?

Should we go there instead?Thanks again.

Euro Cruiser and I generally see eye to eye on these kind of issues and this is no exception. When it comes to Capri vs Sorrento there is no contest...Capri wins hands down. Regarding Capri, its a great place to spend a day. Yes, you can go to the Blue Grotto (if its open) which is one of the world's biggest tourist traps that most folks want to experience...once! But our favorite activity on Capri is to head up to the town of Anacapri (via taxi or bus from Capri Town) and take the single chair lift (not a good idea if you are afraid of heights) up to the top of the mountain for a fun ride and amazing views. We also enjoy just walking, browsing, and having lunch in Capri Town. While in Capri Town make sure you walk along the Via Longano....which is this island's version of Rodeo Drive....with some boutiques to match.

Hank

I had planned a trip to Procida and printed off the timetable before we left, we walked to buy the tickets and were in time to catch the chosen ferry, but when we asked for the return ticket we were told 6pm which was too late as our ship sailed at that time, we walked to another lines ticket office but they then sent us straight back to the company we were previously in the queue for. So despite the timetable giving us a choice of around 5 return options it seemed none of these were available on the day. I was very disappointed as we would have made plans to join an excursion had we known this. Not sure if it was because it was a Sunday but just bear this in mind if thinking of Procida. There were several boats going to Capri but we have been twice before so we ended up just looking round Naples.

I had planned a trip to Procida and printed off the timetable before we left ... despite the timetable giving us a choice of around 5 return options it seemed none of these were available on the day. I was very disappointed as we would have made plans to join an excursion had we known this.

I'm not sure why the return sailings to Naples were sold out but I'm curious if you only looked at returns to Molo Beverello or if you also considered Porta di Massa (less than a half mile away on foot) or Pozzuoli (a 40 minute cab ride away but better than not getting to go at all).

Your experience underscores the necessity of DIYers to be flexible and to have a "plan B" (actually, the requirement for all travelers to be flexible). Stuff happens, it rains on the day you planned to go to Pompei, or a traffic accident holds up all of the cars and buses trying to get somewhere, all of the ferries are sold out for some unknown reason, etc.

Sorry about your experience,but appreciate your share this with us.

Thank you.

I had planned a trip to Procida and printed off the timetable before we left, we walked to buy the tickets and were in time to catch the chosen ferry, but when we asked for the return ticket we were told 6pm which was too late as our ship sailed at that time, we walked to another lines ticket office but they then sent us straight back to the company we were previously in the queue for. So despite the timetable giving us a choice of around 5 return options it seemed none of these were available on the day. I was very disappointed as we would have made plans to join an excursion had we known this. Not sure if it was because it was a Sunday but just bear this in mind if thinking of Procida. There were several boats going to Capri but we have been twice before so we ended up just looking round Naples.