Could only pick one (Cork Ireland)

twoznuff2

Without a doubt the Ring of Kerry.

However, a couple of caveats.......it will be a long day in a bus as a lot of miles need to be covered, but the scenery is spectacular providing (and here is the second caveat)that the weather is ok! Mist and rain can close in very quickly and block the view.

Edited by VMax1700

Having been to Kinsale on a land trip to Ireland, and to Ring of Kerry on a private shore excursion from Cobh, I would choose Kinsale for the day, with Cork included if time, but forgo the Blarney Castle.

Our Ring of Kerry day was a lot of driving and not enough time spent enjoying the scenery and the towns of Kenmare & Killarney. Kinsale is a charming village, and if you include a trip to Charles Fort nearby, you will have a full day but at a more relaxed pace than the Ring of Kerry, and avoid the crowded and touristy experience at the Blarney Castle.

I would not take a tour at all if this is your first visit. I'd take he train ( you will be berthed alongside) into Cork and then either a walking tour ( guided or by yourself) it the hoho bus. There will probably also be time explore Cobh after the return train journey.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having been to Kinsale on a land trip to Ireland, and to Ring of Kerry on a private shore excursion from Cobh, I would choose Kinsale for the day, with Cork included if time, but forgo the Blarney Castle.

Our Ring of Kerry day was a lot of driving and not enough time spent enjoying the scenery and the towns of Kenmare & Killarney. Kinsale is a charming village, and if you include a trip to Charles Fort nearby, you will have a full day but at a more relaxed pace than the Ring of Kerry, and avoid the crowded and touristy experience at the Blarney Castle.

Agree

I would not take a tour at all if this is your first visit. I'd take he train ( you will be berthed alongside) into Cork and then either a walking tour ( guided or by yourself) it the hoho bus. There will probably also be time explore Cobh after the return train journey.

Yes we did that last year and it was fun, why sit on a bus?

The pubs in Cork were great.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm interested in seeing New Grange while in Ireland for a few days. Is there a train that goes up there? Private tour suggestions? THANKS

Newgrange is a short drive from Dublin, but not a day trip from Cobh! You could rent a car and DIY or book through a private operator such as Mary Gibbons: http://newgrangetours.com/

We were unable to get slots for Newgrange on the day we wanted so ended up at Knowth, which was very worthwhile and part of the UNESCO site.

http://www.worldheritageireland.ie/bru-na-boinne/built-heritage/newgrange/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would not take a tour at all if this is your first visit. I'd take he train ( you will be berthed alongside) into Cork and then either a walking tour ( guided or by yourself) or the hoho bus. There will probably also be time explore Cobh after the return train journey.

The Irish Heritage Area and Immigration Museum are also at the pier. Train station is right there.

We took the train into Cork ( bought round trip ticket 5.1euro per person, takes 24 minutes, exit Kent Station. Then walk to Parnell Place Station and take the local bus #224 out to Blarney, 9 miles/20minute ride 5.6 euro per person round trip where we walked around the grounds and the village. We took the bus back to Cork and walked that town and finally caught the train back to Cobh. We found it very easy to do.

We took a bus from Cobh to Cork which starts at the port and stops at the bus station in Cork which appears to be a bit closer to town than the train. Had several hours in Cork to walk around to see St. Finbarr's, the library, shopping street,s and other sights. Return bus trip gave a very brief tour of Cork. Had plenty of time upon our return to walk all around Cobh (a lovely town). Train station has a nice museum/display.

• 3 weeks later...
I found Kinsale to be charming and low-key. Walking around in the town was easy and relaxing.

Our ship will be docking at Cobh and like you, we want to visit Kinsale.

How do we get from the dock in Cobh to Kinsale?

Thanks.

Our ship will be docking at Cobh and like you, we want to visit Kinsale.

How do we get from the dock in Cobh to Kinsale?

Thanks.

When we were there in Sept. we just went up to a cab driver and made arrangements for a private tour. We had a wonderful time, and he worked out a tour based on our interests. We were going to skip Charles Fort because we've been to many forts in the U.S., Canada, and Europe. However, he suggested that we at least take a look at it. To our surprise, it was a wonderful experience. I took over 100 pictures, and we really enjoyed our time there. The town of Kindle itself was just what we expected--a charming old seaport where we wandered the narrow streets. We had a delicious lunch in a pub he recommended where we tried the local brew that we liked better than Guiness! If you'd like his name I'd be happy to provide it.

Absolutely the Ring of Kerry, the Dingle Peninsula, Cliffs of Moher, Kylemore Abbey, Galway, Killarney, Waterford......and oh yes, Blarney Castle. I agree that the Blarney Castle was "touristy" but we enjoyed it. We initially went to the Blarney Castle while on a cruise but ended up not kissing the stone that time because of the lines to get in. Since we had booked a private tour (not one thru Princess), we didn't pay to get in so we walked across the street to the local tavern for some Guinness! But, a year later, we did a self drive thru the southern part of Ireland (booked thru an Ireland tour company). They strategically booked our hotels or b&b and secured our rental car.

By doing a self drive, we were able to go at our own pace, stop when we wanted to and change our plans on a moments notice. We even took the Shannon Ferry from Galway when heading the to Kerry because we could! Don't limit yourself. One of our great great trips. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

When we were there in Sept. we just went up to a cab driver and made arrangements for a private tour. We had a wonderful time, and he worked out a tour based on our interests. We were going to skip Charles Fort because we've been to many forts in the U.S., Canada, and Europe. However, he suggested that we at least take a look at it. To our surprise, it was a wonderful experience. I took over 100 pictures, and we really enjoyed our time there. The town of Kindle itself was just what we expected--a charming old seaport where we wandered the narrow streets. We had a delicious lunch in a pub he recommended where we tried the local brew that we liked better than Guiness! If you'd like his name I'd be happy to provide it.

Sounds like a cab may be the best option then.

Thanks.

Agree with this. Cobh is a lovely little place (although I was there at end of October, so few tourists). The Titanic Experience was great and there are some lovely little cafes and the museum at the old station is very interesting. Train to Cork takes 25 minutes and a nice journey. Cork is easy to get round by walking (even the Tourist Info person said they wouldn't bother with the HoHo as you can walk most places). We also got a bus to Kinsale (about an hour from Cork), which is a foodie's paradise and one to Blarney (25 minutes from Cork) which I liked, but again out of season.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I would appreciate his name. Could you also give me a ballpark cost? was it just the 2 of you? And about how long was the tour? Thank you Nadine

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

----> Hi Fritz,

Can you please advise the name / contact info of the local driver?

Thanks,

Yv

Hi I would also like his name. Thanks!