Orient Beach update...

MrSchwump

We just got off the Regal today (2/25) and one of our ports of call was St. Martin. We love Orient Beach and decided to give it a shot.

I'd seen pics and videos, post-Irma, and read accounts on this and other websites. My summary is, it is tore up! The destruction to the Club O property is staggering. Every bungalow had all the glass blown out. Many seemed to have had their foundation washed away and were sitting at an angle. There were big sinkholes among some of the bungalows. It looked like a war zone. Yet, work to rebuild was going on in the area. Looking out to sea, it's still just as beautiful. The water is great, the sand along shore had a couple of obstructions that need to be removed, but I saw no glass or metal debris that might harm you.

The taxi took us to Perch Lite, which is a beach bar set up on the former Club Orient site. The bar is fully functional, with cold beer (Presidente @ $3.00), cocktails and soft drinks as well as food. They rent chairs and umbrellas at $8.00 or $9.00 per person.

FYI, there were a lot of naked people. If you're not comfortable with that kind of thing, don't go. Everyone we saw there, with or without swimsuits, seemed to be enjoying a beautiful day at the beach!

Further down the beach there are maybe 2 or 3 other places open serving drinks and renting jet skis. Otherwise, it is deserted. Pedros, Koi-Tiki, et al....gone. This must have been what it looked like in the 1960s. Very weird NOT to see it crammed with wall to wall people.

How long was the taxi ride there? I am torn between Orient and Mullet.

Seen them both, mullet would be your best bet. If you are going within the next month or so, always check out YouTube as people have been posting updated video.

Do you know how things are in Marigot? Is Serafina's still there?

I have heard that things were not good and we will be there in June and I know things can change between now and then, but just wondering.

Orient Beach was, and still is, our favorite spot on planet Earth. We'll be there in less than 6 weeks and plan to spend the day there. We'll take your advice and stop at Perch Lite.

We love Orient too. We are hoping to go there in April when we’re docked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you know how things are in Marigot? Is Serafina's still there?

I have heard that things were not good and we will be there in June and I know things can change between now and then, but just wondering.

There is a lot of damage in Marigot, they are was busy and places to shop are open, Serafinas pretty destroyed not sure if they are rebuilding. A lot of beach resorts from Marigot down to Maho from the main road along the coast are destroyed and need a lot of work.

Bosjoe,

Thank you for the info. It is so disappointing that Serafina's is no longer there. Last summer we totally enjoyed their pastries. I guess we will have to pass on going to the French side this time.

How long was the taxi ride there? I am torn between Orient and Mullet.

I’m having the same delema. I’ll be there the second week of April and want to be able to relax with an umbrella and a chair and access to food and beverages. However, I don’t want a big crowd surrounding us.

Orient Beach was, and still is, our favorite spot on planet Earth. We'll be there in less than 6 weeks and plan to spend the day there. We'll take your advice and stop at Perch Lite.

Thank Joe for the original post and it looks like you will be there a week or two before me, I hope you report back. We are renting Can-Am spyders and driving ourselves there.

Looking forward to a relaxing day at the Club O beach during our stop there in early May. Is the beach safe for barefeet or is there a lot of debris in the sand from the storm? They used to due a really nice job of raking the sand early in the morning before cruisers arrived. Glad to hear about Perch Lite and that there are bathrooms. Should be a great day.

Looking forward to a relaxing day at the Club O beach during our stop there in early May. Is the beach safe for barefeet or is there a lot of debris in the sand from the storm? They used to due a really nice job of raking the sand early in the morning before cruisers arrived. Glad to hear about Perch Lite and that there are bathrooms. Should be a great day.

I was there a month ago and it was safe to walk. There were two kids out there in the morning removing the weeds and other junk that washed up overnight.

Most of the debris that remains are the ruins of the buildings and don’t affect the actual beachfront by the water.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I will be cruising to St. Martin mid-June. We're interested in taking a taxi to Orient Beach and wondering the conditions of the beach and also taxi service to and from. If anyone has been recently, we'd be very thankful for any information.

Hoping somebody goes to Orient in the next few months and posts an update. We know there is at least some places up and running on the clothing optional side.

Still hard to believe that it is May 8 months after the Hurricane and nobody has started to rebuild.

Maybe The government won’t allow it but you would think it would not be that difficult to set up a temporary facility.

Hoping somebody goes to Orient in the next few months and posts an update. We know there is at least some places up and running on the clothing optional side.

Still hard to believe that it is May 8 months after the Hurricane and nobody has started to rebuild.

Maybe The government won’t allow it but you would think it would not be that difficult to set up a temporary facility.

According to our tour guide, one side of the island has gotten their insurance money. The French side is not getting their money until June, at the earliest, so unless they have cash upfront, there is no money to rebuild yet. That is why nothing has been rebuilt at Orient beach yet--no money.

Next trip for us in Feb so maybe if they get their insurance money in June they will have made progress by then. It will be interesting to see what type of structures they build this time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Next trip for us in Feb so maybe if they get their insurance money in June they will have made progress by then. It will be interesting to see what type of structures they build this time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

We heard that they are going to be required to build different types of structures. Ones that can be moved if there is a hurricane threat. This is what the insurance companies are requiring. Don’t know if it is true, but that is what our tour guide told us.

• 3 weeks later...
We just got back from St. Martin--our tour guide wouldn't even go there. Said that there are no facilities, no restaurants, no bathrooms. You might want to try another beach.

Then they’ve disappeared since February because Perch Lite was open adjacent the the Club O property. Cold beer, chairs and umbrellas, nice beach and water.

• 1 month later...

We were at Orient Beach yesterday, 7/27. Beach was beautiful. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas for rent. We paid $30 for 3 chairs and umbrellas. There is a brand new bar, restaurant and facilities on site. Waiters patrolling beach to take food/drink orders. They were working hard to make it a great experience. Parasailing and jet skis were also available.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app