Snorkel vests?

TurkB

Most important specs? Simple and cheap

If are new to snorkeling on a cruise in salt water you will likely snorkel through the ship and/or a private outfit. In which case you don't need to buy a vest, they are provided. And that's only because of liability not because you actually need it.

It you are going to be snorkeling by yourself and can at the very minimum dog paddle or tread water you don't need a vest, at least in salt water because salt water is very buoyant.

In regards to vest themselves, most have a tube to blow into to inflate the vest if needed. but salt water is so buoyant that you don't need to inflate it at all unless you are in heavy rough seas or are really, really tired. Even then a couple small puffs of air is more than enough.

I am sure someone will chime in here and say 'you gonna die without a vest" but take any opinion (including mine) for what it's worth.

Thanks,

I figured with the varieties out there and the material and workmanship there might be some worth considering over others. They are few and far between here.

As Mac said, someone may say "you'll die without one". I understand these are not PFD's just a buoyancy aid.

Agree with Mac on all points. If I were in the market to buy one because I needed one for whatever reason, I'd be picking the cheapest I could find. Something like this https://www.leisurepro.com/p-blrsv/blue-reef-snorkeling-vest

Having said that, you will be provided one on a snorkel tour, and I personally never use one when snorkeling alone with my wife. I float just fine and am not even particularly buoyant in salt water. Haven't died yet

Agree with Mac on all points. If I were in the market to buy one because I needed one for whatever reason, I'd be picking the cheapest I could find. Something like this https://www.leisurepro.com/p-blrsv/blue-reef-snorkeling-vest

Having said that, you will be provided one on a snorkel tour, and I personally never use one when snorkeling alone with my wife. I float just fine and am not even particularly buoyant in salt water. Haven't died yet

I appreciate the responses.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
What are the most important specs to look for in a snorkel vest? We'll be buying online.

Bright fluorescent yellow or orange, besides flotation assist they are good to be seen by others in and out of the water, I wear one deflated over my shorty, the wetsuit provides all the flotation I need and the vest the visibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk