SD Caribbean updates?

cabosal

Anybody know which port SeaDream will use? We have embarked from St John before but it appears many people will be staying nr English Harbor which seems pretty far away. Does SD go out of English Harbor?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been to English Harbour on SD but not for embarkation.😎

cabosal: We weighed the same factors. I saw that SeaDream previously made port calls at English Harbor, but assumed the "turnaround" would probably be in St. John's. We've never been to English Harbor, so as we only have one night, decided it might be an interesting place to hangout/wander/eat before embarking on the 18th.

We hope there will be plenty of beach/water time over the 9 days!

cabosal: We weighed the same factors. I saw that SeaDream previously made port calls at English Harbor, but assumed the "turnaround" would probably be in St. John's. We've never been to English Harbor, so as we only have one night, decided it might be an interesting place to hangout/wander/eat before embarking on the 18th.

We hope there will be plenty of beach/water time over the 9 days!

Just put in our reservation at Siboney Beach for Wednesday, January 17. Seemed close to St John's plus is on the beach, is clean and has a decent restaurant. It's only October and I'm sooo ready for a SD cruise!!

The Tiki's are at Carlisle Bay for our Pre-cruise on Nov 18th in Antigua. Looked at Blue Waters, north of St. John and Dickenson Bay, but decided on south end, and maybe a bit less crowded. Our TA was helpful (Virtuoso Property), plus it is closer to a wonderful little Catholic Church we have been to before and closer to Shirley Heights for Sunday evening. 5.5 weeks but who's counting, haha.

Cheers

Mark

I haven't read this entire thread, but here's the information Cruise Critic got from SeaDream and posted in our news story about the Caribbean: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8082

SeaDream Yacht Club

From November 2017 to mid-April 2018, SeaDream will embark/disembark passengers in Antigua instead of St. Maarten/St. Martin on its Caribbean cruises. This change affects the following departure dates on its SeaDream I cruise ship: November 11, November 20, November 25, December 2, December 16, December 21, December 28, January 4, January 18, January 27 and February 17. SeaDream II's March 17, March 24, March 31 and April 14 also departures have been altered; no changes have been made to the ship's San Juan turnaround days.

Hi there,

Our 2/18 itinerary was changed from St. Maarten to Antigua.

Has anyone heard anything on SD's plans for this winter season? I've called multiple times and been stuck "on hold" too often. We have a cruise upcoming in January which we have made a down payment on but are now unsure of its itinerary. Looks like northern Caribbean is out which, I guess, leaves Barbados and points south. Not somewhere we'd choose again. Hopefully they come up with something new ( a day at the Pink Sands in Canouan might be nice. What about St Vincent? The ABC's? ).

Any updated info would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trap,

From what I hear the Caribbean is getting back to normal pretty quickly considering. There will be places that are not there any more but then there will be new places too. This ain't their first rodeo even as bad as it was. We did that STT/SJU on a little SAAB 2 prop plane last trip. Very casual.......:eek: Don't look at the nicks on the leading edge of the propellers...:cool:

A posting today by Cruise Critic provides a good update on the status of the various islands.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8067&et_cid=3011653&et_rid=187552560&et_referrer=Boards

It appears St. Thomas is expecting 25 cruise ships in November. Not sure what there will be to do on the island, and it seems like there are very few hotel rooms available. Since we will fly in the day of sailing, we will not likely have time to spend any money there. Sorry, Zimmy, I'll make it up to you elsewhere.

Speaking of which, it looks like it may be a while before St. Barts is back in business. The airport is open, but the harbor is open only for relief efforts. Things may be better by January.

And Jim, the airport on St. Martin is open, but the posting did not say anything about your favorite bar.

And Jim, the airport on St. Martin is open, but the posting did not say anything about your favorite bar.

The Sunset Bar was heavily damaged as you might imagine but word is they are on the way back bigger and better. They should with all the money I have given them over the years..;p

That is outrageous.

Agreed. In Florida we used to have a "hotline" to call to report price gouging. What exactly does the $1,500 cover? If just the STT/SJU link then it really looks like gouging. I bet there is a place to report such.

Jost update - I saw on a Sailing message board today that FOXY's is back open. Built a new bar area out front, serving drinks and a "limited menu", basically burgers and fish dishes. Taboo is still closed but they are trying for New Years.

Not sure if any SD itineraries are going to include JVD or VG (water and power is back in some portions of North Sound but very limited), but those Captains do like Foxy's.

We are 3.5 weeks away from SD1 in Antigua. Weather is turning cooler here so it must be time to go to the Carib :cool:

Tiki

laurelguy

I totally understand and share your concern and hesitancy but I think it is important to keep in mind the role played by tourism and travel in the economic health of some of these islands.

A very interesting article detailing this may be found on the NY Times website here;

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/23/us/tourism-hurricane-economy-caribbean-islands.html

While your hesitancy is laudable it may possibly be that the best way to support those that have been affected is to continue to engage in activities that support both individual livelihoods and regional economies.

It is a tough call I know, but DW and I have elected to still go on our February cruise for this very reason.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, and for $1500 per person more, we can still get to STT. I think not.

You can still fly directly to St Thomas on Delta and American. I live on St John USVI and will be cruising on SD in March so just wanted to clarify it is only United that has cancelled.

Thanks

You can still fly directly to St Thomas on Delta and American. I live on St John USVI and will be cruising on SD in March so just wanted to clarify it is only United that has cancelled.

Thanks

Confirming only United canceled - we had already booked on United for SD in March departing St. Thomas. They gave us a full refund of course but I chastised them on the phone for giving up so early and prematurely. SD staff we spoke with on a recent voyage in the Med advised Marigot is the port most impacted by the schedule changes because the airport on St. Maarten was so heavily damaged, basically destroyed as we understand it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Confirming only United canceled - we had already booked on United for SD in March departing St. Thomas. They gave us a full refund of course but I chastised them on the phone for giving up so early and prematurely. SD staff we spoke with on a recent voyage in the Med advised Marigot is the port most impacted by the schedule changes because the airport on St. Maarten was so heavily damaged, basically destroyed as we understand it.

I should have mentioned that we had no trouble booking flights via Miami to St. Thomas to replace the cancelled United flights.