Nifty & Thrifty Find's

Will do... I stick to Colgate total or enamel health but I'll compare the label against the larger tube that I get at Kroger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bed Bath & Beyond has travel sizes of Colgate & sometimes bigger travel size. Get their 20% off coupon to make it a better deal.

Judy

Label checks out on my 2.3oz tube from $$tree which is good because I need all my BB&B coupons for my k-cups that I can't get anywhere else.

Glad the label checks out.

Some toothpastes are OK, some not.

Even the same brand at different times - always check.

I've learned to check all items that are "ingestible" when shopping at $$ stores.

If not made in USA, I don't buy them.

Not worth the savings.

You are like me.

I have special stores for special coupons for special things.

Fun!:D

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

Glad the label checks out.

Some toothpastes are OK, some not.

Even the same brand at different times - always check.

I've learned to check all items that are "ingestible" when shopping at $$ stores.

If not made in USA, I don't buy them.

Not worth the savings.

You are like me.

I have special stores for special coupons for special things.

Fun!:D

Judy

I learned with Colgate they use UPCs starting with 35000 for items that are intended for sale in the US. So that's one thing to watch for.

I usually just stay away from food but that might be because I work for another food retailer. [emoji4]

I learned with Colgate they use UPCs starting with 35000 for items that are intended for sale in the US. So that's one thing to watch for.

I usually just stay away from food but that might be because I work for another food retailer. [emoji4]

I agree about food.

I don't buy food there - but I have bought toothpaste and mouthwash.

• 1 month later...
Will do... I stick to Colgate total or enamel health but I'll compare the label against the larger tube that I get at Kroger.

Why not just use the free sample of Colgate you receive from the dentist for the 2x year cleanings.

Edited by akeasley

Why not just use the free sample of Colgate you receive from the dentist for the 2x year cleanings.

Lol I travel so much between work and six weeks of vacation time those are gone quick. That's my main reason for buying the 2.3 oz tube, it's small enough for a 3-1-1 bag and actually lasts for a couple trips without needing to be replaced.

Dollar Tree now has those organizers you use in your drawers for socks, etc, plus larger cubes as well. I will take a couple of these from now on to help corral the items on the vanity/desk and for smaller items in the closet.

I buy the storage cubes there .They fold up flat for easy packing and the open up to hold odds and ends that would otherwise clutter the cabin

TJ Maxx has a wide variety of large colorful foldable totes for 99 cents. The are great to fold up in your luggage to use on beach excursions, etc. If they get wet or full of sand, you don't feel bad that an expensive tote was ruined.

• 1 year later...
Maybe we will be able to find a Dollar Tree in port on our cruise. There aren't any of them here in the islands. Sigh! Not that we really need CDs of Hawaiian music when we can get the neighbor's kids to play for us. Their little girls do hula too, and it's terribly cute when they do the "Cockeyed Mayor of Kaunakakai".

Long time ago when internet time was dial up and charged by the minute (gee, sounds like a cruise ship, doesn't it?) there used to be a small program called "Silly Little Mail Reader". It would go online, snatch all my emails and then log off, usually in less than a minute. I'd then answer the emails and get them ready to send, then log on again and do a send/receive for the new emails. I don't know if there is still something similar out there or not. This was a DOS based system, it might still even work?

You can do this with Thunderbird and many other mail programs.

And, different thought... DH brings silk undies so they can be washed out in sink also. (Silk or something really light, not the white cotton for sure!

Duluth Trading Company Bare Naked Underwear is comfortable, an d easily washed in the sink.

I find it dries faster than the "travel" underwear sold by Magellan and other travel stores.

I travel internationally a lot for work. No so much thrifty, but some nifty thoughts.

I always pack a handful of quart sized zip lock bags. I prefer the ones with the double zip lock. They can be used for leftovers, organizing change, collecting small souvenirs (fridge magnets), and many other things. Also good for keeping your cell phone dry when at the beach, pool, or amusement park.

I have learned the hard way, ALL liquids, creams, and gels go in zip lock bags. Sunscreen, shampoo, etc. They WILL open sooner or later. Also for dry things that you don't want to get out, like protein mix if you work out. Oh, and one other thing, NEVER put a partially eaten can of Pringles in your bag when traveling my air. You will be AMAZED at where the little bits will end up. :D

For toothpaste, I take a partial tube with me. You can "refill" a tube, by placing the almost empty and full tube opening to opening and squeezing. Easy.

I carry my meds in one of the weekly organizers, and have never had an issue or been asked. But anything that might be considered as a narcotic or close (painkillers beyond aspirin/ibuprofen/acetaminophen) I would carry in the prescription bottle.

When you get the small travel sizes of the over the counter pain killers, keep the bottle and refill from your home supply. And the bottles will typically carry more than they come with. I always carry a good bit of ibuprofen for my back. But it is great for sore muscles from over exertion due to walking/climbing. It has more anti inflammatory and muscle relaxing properties the other over the counter meds. Carry all meds in your CARRY ON.

If traveling a number of time zones, you might want to talk to your doctor about a sleep aid. I find that if I can stay up to the local time to go to bed, and use a sleep aid the first couple of nights, I concur jet lag quickly. Several of the new ones are non-narcotic, non-habit forming, and just help you get to sleep, rather than tossing and turning.

I carry an outlet adapter than has two USB charging ports. From Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJNR9LM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This allows you to use the other format outlet, plus charge two devices at once. The one linked to has a quite bright power indicator that will work as a night light, but you might want to cover it partially with tape, as it is bright. There are charging cords and do both Apple and non-Apple devices, so you can carry less cords. https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Braided-Charging-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B06XBMN9GK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502798071&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=2+in+1+charging+cable&psc=1

Also a small travel clock. I have one from Brookstone that also has a thermometer in it. Good when arguing with maintenance about the AC performance. http://www.brookstone.com/pd/bright-backlight-travel-alarm-clock-with-temperature/218917p.html

One packing tip, after I have packed, I mentally dress myself with items I have packed. Thinking, underwear, t-shirt, socks, pants, belt, shirt, shoes. I do this for each level I need, casual, work, smart casual, more formal. Also, mentally go over activities, so if swimming or pool, mentally go over bathing suit, cover up or top, flip flops, if hiking, mentally outfit for hiking. It helps you see if you have missed anything. And since I travel a LOT, I actually keep most common items packed. When I get back, i wash, then put back in the suitcase for the next trip. I do this for casual shoes, flip flops, underwear socks, bathing suit, workout clothes, toiletries. Pretty much everything except shirts and pants.

For packing shirts, I have found nothing that beats the Eagle Creek packers. https://www.amazon.com/Hemdentasche-Kleiderh%C3%BClle-knitterfreier-Transport-Faltbrett/dp/B00F9S81KY/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1502798386&sr=1-5&nodeID=15744041&psd=1&keywords=eagle+creek+pack+it

I can pack shirts in one of these for weeks or even longer, and they come out wearable. And it makes them so easy to fold.

• 2 months later...

I am looking for a coupon/promotional code for Spencer Ambrose Tours in St. Lucia, where we will be cruising to in Feb. 2018. On the tour website when you try to book, there is a spot to enter a coupon/promotional code. Does anyone know where to find one?

We found a package of 6 large clothespins at the Dollar Tree. Perfect for clipping your towel to your lounger. Two clips hold your towel in place -- keeps towel from blowing away in the breeze!

164334.jpg

These are great to have with you!

A trip through a dollar store can be fun and give you ideas for things that can make cruising easier.

Go with an open mind......and have fun!

Judy

• 2 months later...

A December visit to the Dollar Store meant I brought home 5 drawstring bags for stocking stuffers and travel. They are designed for makeup and have a long string so the 'bag' lies flat on the counter when using the items and a quick pull of the string tidies it all up. Thought these were great for the limited counter tops in cabin bathrooms. I recently used it at a resort, and did the trick for keeping bathroom stuff tidy. Used another at bedside for the bits and pieces one tends to collect on side tables. Just don't loosen it to lay flat and it works more as a tray.

I wouldn't recommend them as a packing tool, as I think the fabric takes up too much space when a pouch, but pack flat and use at location.