Detailed Photo Review of Paul Gauguin 10-Night Cruise 9/6/17 Plus Moorea Pre-Cruise

deladane

Looking to book a PG cruise for my big birthday in 2020. We live in Scotland so it will be a long journey , planning to fly to Vegas, visit friends in Arizona then head to LA.

Looking at flights we would prefer Air France as they gave premium economy section. Has anyone had experience of flying with Air France? How does it compare to Air Tahiti Nui?

Irene, we have flown AF Premium Economy twice on that route, and it's good. Some people find the seats a bit hard--they are that 'modern' kind that slide back and forth as a unit, rather than the back tilting independently. The first time I took a small seat cushion since I have back issues, but I didn't feel it was a problem.

It's been a while since I have flown ATN, so it's tough--last time I did it was in their old Business-class, which was fairly lousy frankly. Any PE is better than Coach, in my opinion, but I've heard the newly-refurbished ATN planes are quite comfortable.

I'd like to go back in 2020 as well, although we're getting old, so may not be travelling much by that time.

When is your birthday?

Irene, we have flown AF Premium Economy twice on that route, and it's good. Some people find the seats a bit hard--they are that 'modern' kind that slide back and forth as a unit, rather than the back tilting independently. The first time I took a small seat cushion since I have back issues, but I didn't feel it was a problem.

It's been a while since I have flown ATN, so it's tough--last time I did it was in their old Business-class, which was fairly lousy frankly. Any PE is better than Coach, in my opinion, but I've heard the newly-refurbished ATN planes are quite comfortable.

I'd like to go back in 2020 as well, although we're getting old, so may not be travelling much by that time.

When is your birthday?

Thanks for the reply. My birthday is October.

Looks like next July 2018 will be a popular time on PG! My husband and I just booked the 10 night cruise leaving on July 18, 2018. This, too, is our first time on this ship and to French Polynesia; we are celebrating our 10th Anniversary and a milestone birthday. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us Dana, it is getting me very excited about this special trip next summer!

:) Lisa

Lisa, we are booked on this as well. This trip report is getting me super excited! Is there a roll call for this sailing?

If you happen to be in Papeete between 5-18 July 2018, don't miss the Heiva I Tahiti 2018 (Luau). We went last year (4nights in a row!) and it was amazing and it is one of the reason we're going back in 2019. The following site English version is not up yet but the French one will give you a very good idea.

https://www.heiva.org/fr/accueil/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lisa, we are booked on this as well. This trip report is getting me super excited! Is there a roll call for this sailing?

Hi Kmorg!

Awesome that you will be on the July 18 sail...yes, there is a roll call that FlightMedic started at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2532054

You are right, this trip report has certainly made me excited for the experience!

:) Lisa

If you happen to be in Papeete between 5-18 July 2018, don't miss the Heiva I Tahiti 2018 (Luau). We went last year (4nights in a row!) and it was amazing and it is one of the reason we're going back in 2019. The following site English version is not up yet but the French one will give you a very good idea.

https://www.heiva.org/fr/accueil/

Thanks for this information Dandee!...We will be in Papeete before boarding the PG from July 16-18.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read along with you and enjoyed your whole review. I hope to make the FP journey in the next few years. In the mean time we have some fabulous grips planned on land and sea and I would like to purchase an all-in-one type camera that I can drop in by purse or pack. You took some truly fabulous photos. I know you have the make and model camera you used, but please save me a few hours and let me know what camera and lenses attachments you used. I am looking at the Panasonic DC-ZS200 but it is not waterproof.

Edited by Heartfelttraveler

Please forgive,I am jumping into this thread... I believe she use the Olympus TG 4 orTG5..

I just have to jump in because we have used this camera for the past 10 years.

Of course each year or so a new model is introduced. We started 10 years ago using this camera (earlier versions). Literally wore out the first one we had, bought a second one (that our adult children killed somehow ..(who knows how) ). Bought our third one we are still using and have also recently purchased the TG5 so we both have a camera to use snorkeling instead of spending out time swimming back and forth between the two of use asking for the camera.

This Olympus takes amazing photos... both on land and in water. It is compact and waterproof. We have larger Canon digital cameras and still take the smaller one with us to travel. (With exception to Panamal Canal.. took the 50X Digital one 0.

My point here is that Costco had a special last week for th TG 5 with the sd card and the floating strap.. So check it out.. Promise.. it is the best for snorkeling.

We have amazing pics of snorkeling using this camera..

Best to you .. you will find what you want.

I have read along with you and enjoyed your whole review. I hope to make the FP journey in the next few years. In the mean time we have some fabulous grips planned on land and sea and I would like to purchase an all-in-one type camera that I can drop in by purse or pack. You took some truly fabulous photos. I know you have the make and model camera you used, but please save me a few hours and let me know what camera and lenses attachments you used. I am looking at the Panasonic DC-ZS200 but it is not waterproof.

Please forgive,I am jumping into this thread... I believe she use the Olympus TG 4 orTG5..

I just have to jump in because we have used this camera for the past 10 years.

Of course each year or so a new model is introduced. We started 10 years ago using this camera (earlier versions). Literally wore out the first one we had, bought a second one (that our adult children killed somehow ..(who knows how) ). Bought our third one we are still using and have also recently purchased the TG5 so we both have a camera to use snorkeling instead of spending out time swimming back and forth between the two of use asking for the camera.

This Olympus takes amazing photos... both on land and in water. It is compact and waterproof. We have larger Canon digital cameras and still take the smaller one with us to travel. (With exception to Panamal Canal.. took the 50X Digital one 0.

My point here is that Costco had a special last week for th TG 5 with the sd card and the floating strap.. So check it out.. Promise.. it is the best for snorkeling.

We have amazing pics of snorkeling using this camera..

Best to you .. you will find what you want.

My camera is the Olympus TG-5. The new model came out a month or two before this vacation so I bought that instead of the TG-4. They are very similar cameras, but the TG-5 has a few extra features so may as well get the newest model. I also bought the fisheye attachment lens. I LOVE this lens!! It takes beautiful landscape photos, and it's what allowed me to take photos that are half below and half above the water line. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Dana,

I have re-read your post over and over gathering information for our upcoming cruise. I have a question of your. We may possibly go in early and stay in Moorea prior to the cruise. I have read about the place you guys stayed in Moorea. Can you tell me, since it had no air conditioning was it hot to sleep? Did you sleep good or no? Also I read your bedroom did not have a screen on the window. Did the other windows have screens on them?

Did you look into any other small budget minded places?

Thanks so much.

Kim

Dana,

I have re-read your post over and over gathering information for our upcoming cruise. I have a question of your. We may possibly go in early and stay in Moorea prior to the cruise. I have read about the place you guys stayed in Moorea. Can you tell me, since it had no air conditioning was it hot to sleep? Did you sleep good or no? Also I read your bedroom did not have a screen on the window. Did the other windows have screens on them?

Thanks so much.

Kim

Hi Kim,

I am so glad you are finding my review useful in planning your vacation! Unfortunately, there were no screens on any of the windows in our bungalow. We traveled in September so it was not too hot. In a normal year, we would have been very comfortable, especially for sleeping at night. Last year, it was unusually rainy and humid for the first few nights we were there. We were so active during the day that we slept fine at night, but it was a bit warmer than we would have preferred. There is a fan in the bedroom which we kept aimed at us all night and that helped. I didn’t check out any other budget hotels but I think there are several affordable vacation rentals if you want to investigate that option (Airbnb, VRBO, etc). Hope that helps! I am currently sitting outside on deck on the Celebrity Eclipse awaiting sail away this afternoon. I’ll be back in 2 weeks and can answer any other questions then :)

Dana,

Thanks so much.

Kim

Kim, we stayed at Les Tipaniers. It's a wonderful little place, and close to excursion facilities and shops. It has screens on all the windows, plus a ceiling fan (no AC.) They are mostly individual bungalows, some facing the beach. Two lovely restaurants as well. We paid about $150 a night for a beach bungalow, although price will depend on the time of year. Neither of the bungalows we've stayed in were efficiencies, btw, although they did have a little fridge.

Hi all, we also stayed in Les Tipaniers and your description is spot on. Price was similar. Although we did not have AC, the fan was sufficient. We were there in July 2017 (dry season). I don't know if it would be too humid without ac in the rainy season.

Les Tipaniers also has a few bungalows--they call them Vanilla--that are air conditioned. We're reserved one at $225/night for three nights pre-cruise in May 2018.

I'll report back when we return.

Thanks all for the recommendation of Les Tipaners (spelling ?)... I did try to book it and there is no availability.

I ended up booking Linareva. Also small place, it did have nice reviews on Trip Advisor. Want something simple, clean and budget minded as the real trip starts on the cruise! Adding on the days pre-cruise was a last minute plan, clearly. We don't so much mind no A/C but I hate to be hot at night (lords knows I am hot enough already;)) but many places of reviews I read without AC did not have screens on the window.. An invitation to bugs... I ain't doing that... :p

Not afraid of them but not interested in sending them an invitation.LOL

Please do offer advise regarding car rental or not. I don't believe the place we are staying is very close to any type of restaurant and there is not one on site.

Appreciate all of the help.

Kim

Thanks all for the recommendation of Les Tipaners (spelling ?)... I did try to book it and there is no availability.

I ended up booking Linareva. Also small place, it did have nice reviews on Trip Advisor. Want something simple, clean and budget minded as the real trip starts on the cruise! Adding on the days pre-cruise was a last minute plan, clearly. We don't so much mind no A/C but I hate to be hot at night (lords knows I am hot enough already;)) but many places of reviews I read without AC did not have screens on the window.. An invitation to bugs... I ain't doing that... :p

Not afraid of them but not interested in sending them an invitation.LOL

Please do offer advise regarding car rental or not. I don't believe the place we are staying is very close to any type of restaurant and there is not one on site.

Appreciate all of the help.

Kim

All of the better restaurants will pick you up for dinner. Renting a car is good to see the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Amazing and informative review! Thanks for sending us over here from you eclipse review. I have been trying to narrow down our 40 th anniversary trip for 2020. This would be very memorable!

So glad you found this review! I hope it sways you towards visiting FP as it is well worth the effort to get there! It would be perfect for your 40th anniversary... or your 41st... or 42nd lol Either way, I hope you can get there and experience it for yourself :)