Carnival My Time Dining

crusinpsychRN

I've cruised solo about 6 times now and have always had late dining. I've had 2 cruises with good tablemates but the other 4 cruises were really off the mark.

I'm considering MTD on Carnival and wonder if solos end up with other large tables or alone.

Most discussion on the solo board seems to be focused on NCL cruises. Any feedback on Carnival appreciated.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

I've done My Time Dining on Carnival as a solo a number of times. The hostess asks if you would prefer to share or dine alone. Frequently, I have dined alone by choice. I have always been satisfied with how they treated me and the wait staff has always been courteous and accommodating.

I usually do my time dining as a solo. You will be asked if you want to dine with others or alone when you check in at the dining room. I like to dine with others and have met many wonderful cruise friends that way..

Glad to hear this. I'm going solo on Carnival. I'm always torn between wanting to meet people and have a little company at dinner, or enjoy a solo meal. Then there's the risk of not enjoying the company ;) This sounds like a good option.

The last time I was seated with all solos was on the Glory in 2008, that's 12 cruises ago! We had a great group and enjoyed the week very much.

Since then it's been a mom and her 2 children; grandma, mom, daughter; 2 single guys traveling together with maybe another solo besides myself or some version of that. Very nice people but little in common for the most part.

The maitre d' must either go nuts or not even bother to pay much attention to solos. When there are so few traveling on a huge ship I can see not spending a lot of time working on this.

• 3 weeks later...
I usually do my time dining as a solo. You will be asked if you want to dine with others or alone when you check in at the dining room. I like to dine with others and have met many wonderful cruise friends that way..

Do others not seem to mind you "joining" their table?

• 2 months later...

Well, I tried Your Time Dining and have to say I didn't like it.

I was on the Legend and the YTD started lining up at 5:20pm! Every night I wasn't sure if I'd get a table alone or be seated with others and I didn't like that. When I did sit with others they were people from my roll call. Twice I was surrounded by people in line I sensed didn't want table mates or I'd prefer not to sit with because of the things they were saying while waiting. When that happened I went to the back of the line.

Eating alone was more comfortable. People at nearby tables were very nice and were seated as couples. They did speak to me freely and it was very pleasant.

For my next cruise I've already chosen assigned dining as it works better for me.

• 4 years later...
I've cruised solo about 6 times now and have always had late dining. I've had 2 cruises with good tablemates but the other 4 cruises were really off the mark.

I'm considering MTD on Carnival and wonder if solos end up with other large tables or alone.

Most discussion on the solo board seems to be focused on NCL cruises. Any feedback on Carnival appreciated.

Do you know if you can call ahead and reserve a table? On Royal Caribbean we always looked at the daily schedule and called ahead to book a time based on shows and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just booked a cruise for late this year and this is the first time I will do my time dining. Now I sailed solo on Carnival several times and so far never had a bad table. In fact still friends with one table group from a few years back.

But on this sailing, I'm doing the Chef's table one night and two nights in the steak house. I also know on my long tour day in Belize, I will do like I did before, just grab something out of the Lido and call it a night. So with those remaining three days, just going do my time and depending on my mood either eat alone or might join.