Trip Insurance

Jack E Dawson

Am booking 2019 Viking River Cruise but feel like the trip insurance is too high. Are there other options for trip insurance besides what Viking offers?

Thanks

Harold

Go to Insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com to compare all your different options. There is also a cruise insurance section here on CC

I use insuremytrip.com. You input your criteria and compare quotes from many different companies.

I prefer higher medical evacuation coverage than cruiseline trip insurance typically offers. Plus, I usually combine a cruise with a land vacation, and buying insurance independently lets me insure the whole package, not just the cruise part.

Note - typically you must purchase trip insurance within 10 days of making your first non-refundable payment, if you want to be covered for pre-existing conditions.

Travel Agents can sell a policy from Allianz that includes pre-existing coverage even if purchased at final payment. IME it usually runs about 8.5% of the covered costs. We prefer this policy over any cruise-line policy because it pays 100% and in cash -- we had to cancel a trip this year for health reasons and the process was smooth and quick. Thankfully the health issue is resolved, and we are 100% whole on the money issue!

I use insuremytrip.com. You input your criteria and compare quotes from many different companies.

I prefer higher medical evacuation coverage than cruiseline trip insurance typically offers. Plus, I usually combine a cruise with a land vacation, and buying insurance independently lets me insure the whole package, not just the cruise part.

Note - typically you must purchase trip insurance within 10 days of making your first non-refundable payment, if you want to be covered for pre-existing conditions.

I agree completely with purchasing a higher medical evac amount. It can get really expensive depending on where you are.

There's no point in buying higher med-evac coverage in your trip insurance, because the insurance company still determines when you are allowed to use it and where they will take you. Save that money and buy MedJet separately -- it's very reasonable*, and YOU get to determine when and where you will be evacuated to (you must be admitted to a local hospital, but it does not require the local doctor to agree that you need evacuation). *Buy it through AARP and it's even cheaper!

We were advised to always purchase trip insurance from a third party rather than tour operator. The thought being that the operator could be making decisions that impact a potential claim. Not sure if that's valid, but was the advice received. We bought Allianz through AAA. Had a minor flight cancellation claim that was handled quickly and efficiently.

Travel Agents can sell a policy from Allianz that includes pre-existing coverage even if purchased at final payment. IME it usually runs about 8.5% of the covered costs. We prefer this policy over any cruise-line policy because it pays 100% and in cash -- we had to cancel a trip this year for health reasons and the process was smooth and quick. Thankfully the health issue is resolved, and we are 100% whole on the money issue!

Allianz has multiple policies do you recall the name/title of this policy?

Thx

Carole

Allianz has multiple policies do you recall the name/title of this policy?

Thx

Carole

Not HostJazz, my travel agent has an Allianz policy that was developed just for their agency that includes pre-existing conditions when bought at final payment.

You are right - there are probably hundreds of policies they have and they do create ones unique to agencies so not all polices are available to everyone.

• 1 month later...
There's no point in buying higher med-evac coverage in your trip insurance, because the insurance company still determines when you are allowed to use it and where they will take you. Save that money and buy MedJet separately -- it's very reasonable*, and YOU get to determine when and where you will be evacuated to (you must be admitted to a local hospital, but it does not require the local doctor to agree that you need evacuation). *Buy it through AARP and it's even cheaper!

I believe that you are wrong on your assertion bolded (by me) above. No evacuation will ever occur unless a patient is at least medically stable enough to fly in a medivac. Medical stability assessment can only be done in consultation with a doctor on the scene.

Note regarding Medjet:

"D. Transport Criteria

All arrangements for medical transport and repatriation will be made by Medjet. Decisions regarding the urgency of the case, the best timing and the most suitable means of transportation will be made by Medjet after consultation with the local attending physician.

Medical Assessment – Medjet will require a Medical Assessment in order to determine membership benefits and stability for transport. The Medical Assessment requires a consultation between the Member’s treating physician, who will provide a final or interimdiagnosis that will require continued inpatient hospitalization, and a Medjet physician,who will review and evaluate the treating physician’s diagnosis in order to determine theMember’s transport requirements. Member must be medically stable for medical transport. Assuming all other medical transport criteria are met, a Member who is initially consideredmedically unstable for transport to the hospital of the Member’s choice in the Member’s Home Country may first be transported to the nearest appropriate medical facility for initialstabilization. After this initial stabilization, Medjet will arrange continued transport to the hospital of the Member’s choice in the Member’s Home Country if the Member continues to meet medical transport criteria."

Long story but the bottom line is we purchased insurance through Viking because as it turns out, we were incorrectly told we had to. Due to weather and mechanical issues with the flight , also booked through Viking- we missed the cruise. It’s now over two months, lots of phone calls, emails and letters to all parties, we have yet to see a dime of the thousands of dollars we should be getting. Viking says it’s not their problem. Once they sell you the cruise, they wash their hands.

So take heed and don’t get your insurance through Viking. I’m hoping to get this resolved before we seek legal recourse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have purchased from Allianz directly (not through the TA).

Ya,Viking is not the insurance provider—they are just the seller of insurance. That’s why we always buy direct from the insurance provider, not thru a TA, not thru a comparison site, not thru the supplier —-because when you need to use the assistance or have a claim, we have the relationship with Generali —-that’s who we buy. Generali used to be called CSA. More plans now, better coverages.

Also, Viking can only cover insurance for its segments of your trip so if you book your own air or have a pre or post trip with hotels, car, tours, Viking cannot insure.

Hope it ends well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ya,Viking is not the insurance provider—they are just the seller of insurance. That’s why we always buy direct from the insurance provider, not thru a TA, not thru a comparison site, not thru the supplier —-because when you need to use the assistance or have a claim, we have the relationship with Generali —-that’s who we buy. Generali used to be called CSA. More plans now, better coverages.

Also, Viking can only cover insurance for its segments of your trip so if you book your own air or have a pre or post trip with hotels, car, tours, Viking cannot insure.

Hope it ends well for you.

Don't understand this part. I buy an Allianz policy through my TA. My credit card is charged by Allianz. I get the policy in an email from Allianz, with Allianz policy number and Allianz 800 number for claims. Don't see how you could have any more direct relationship with your insurance company than that. Plus, when I did need to file a claim, my TA worked with me to smooth out details and birddog the process. I lost no control, but gained a valuable ally. What's not to like about that?

I believe that you are wrong on your assertion bolded (by me) above. No evacuation will ever occur unless a patient is at least medically stable enough to fly in a medivac. Medical stability assessment can only be done in consultation with a doctor on the scene.

Note regarding Medjet:

"D. Transport Criteria

All arrangements for medical transport and repatriation will be made by Medjet. Decisions regarding the urgency of the case, the best timing and the most suitable means of transportation will be made by Medjet after consultation with the local attending physician.

Medical Assessment – Medjet will require a Medical Assessment in order to determine membership benefits and stability for transport. The Medical Assessment requires a consultation between the Member’s treating physician, who will provide a final or interimdiagnosis that will require continued inpatient hospitalization, and a Medjet physician,who will review and evaluate the treating physician’s diagnosis in order to determine theMember’s transport requirements. Member must be medically stable for medical transport. Assuming all other medical transport criteria are met, a Member who is initially consideredmedically unstable for transport to the hospital of the Member’s choice in the Member’s Home Country may first be transported to the nearest appropriate medical facility for initialstabilization. After this initial stabilization, Medjet will arrange continued transport to the hospital of the Member’s choice in the Member’s Home Country if the Member continues to meet medical transport criteria."

Well frankly, if I'm not medically stable to travel I'm glad Medjet won't endanger my life by flying me! But I see nothing in the language you quoted that contradicts my point that "it does not require the local doctor to agree that you need evacuation." This was in the context of horror stories where the local doctor claimed to be capable of treating the patient and the regular travel insurance company said "no evacuation." Patient is stable for travel, prefers to be treated at hospital near home: with Medjet you get to go home; with other insurance it's not your decision.

Well frankly, if I'm not medically stable to travel I'm glad Medjet won't endanger my life by flying me! But I see nothing in the language you quoted that contradicts my point that "it does not require the local doctor to agree that you need evacuation." This was in the context of horror stories where the local doctor claimed to be capable of treating the patient and the regular travel insurance company said "no evacuation." Patient is stable for travel, prefers to be treated at hospital near home: with Medjet you get to go home; with other insurance it's not your decision.

The Medjet doctor must rely on the treating doctor’s information to render an opinion on medical suitability to fly. Therefore, it would be erroneous to assert that the treating physician has no say in the process. I agree with everything else you said.

:mad:If I may I will just add my 2-cents and relate our recent experience with Tripmate, the insurance we bought from Viking when we purchased our November 5, 2017 Viking Ocean Cruise to the Caribbean. Of course, we all know the horrific damage sustained by those islands last fall. 6 of the 9 islands we were scheduled to see sustained heavy to overwhelming damage. We had booked a Caribbean cruise because we wanted to relax and enjoy the tropical beauty of the region. We knew that Viking would reroute and substitute other ports if the scheduled port was too damaged, but we felt our overall enjoyment of the experience would be diminished due to the storms. So with heavy heart we had our TA cancel our cruise on October 5th. We cancelled early enough that Viking paid us back I think it was 25 or 50% of the cost of the trip, according to their contract. We were told that Tripmate insured for "any reason" cancellation. Our TA said we would be reimbursed the rest of the money from Tripmate. Now we understood that there were probably hundreds of people cancelling Caribbean vacations, so we were patient waiting for our reimbursement. Then it got to be January, and we figured this has been going on too long. So I called and was told "Oh yes, we just mailed out a letter to you today asking for more information before we can process your claim". I asked what "more information" they needed. They wanted proof that the place we were going to was uninhabitable, and that the airline didn't fly as we'd been scheduled. I couldn't believe it. I explained that it was a cruise we were asking for reimbursement for, and that we did not ask for reimbursement of the flight cost, since we were able to reschedule with Jet Blue to go somewhere else this April (for a charge). We went round and round, and we got the letter, and our TA sent them a couple of notices from Viking that they sent out in September saying they might be modifying the itinerary. Anyhow, my husband has been on the phone with Tripmate every other Wednesday since the beginning of January! He finally called Viking and they called Tripmate and called him back saying, basically "the check is in the mail", but still nothing. As of last Wednesday, Tripmate said they can only send an e-check, and it has to be to the e-mail that cancelled the trip. Our TA did that for us, so they will be sending HER our check! Totally unbelievable! All stall tactics, as far as I can see. End result: we are still waiting. No e-check to our TA yet.

So I guess my advice would be: DO NOT INSURE THROUGH TRIPMATE!!!:eek:

• 3 weeks later...
Thoughts on GeoBlue plans that display on insuremytrip? Seems rather inexpensive, so maybe there is a reason.

Or any of the other medical plans that are on insuremytrip (Global, HCC, IMG). The reviews on insuremytrip are kind of worthless since there are so few claims.