Uniworld first timer questions

nmqueenmother

These seem like basic questions but I don't know where to go for answers! We are sailing on Uniworld's Maria Theresa on April 1. Are surge protectors/power strips allowed? I understand there are only 2 outlets available. Then......I keep seeing ads for plastic pockets for luggage tags. Do you recommend them? There are 2 sizes (apparently) and I'm wondering if Uniworld tags are the narrow ones. These are the kinds of things that make me nuts!! I appreciate any help from you veterans.

The reason people want plastic covers for luggage tags on ocean cruises is that the bags get a LOT of handling between handing them off to the porters and seeing them again (hopefully) in your cabin. On a river cruise it's very different: much less handling, all done by your ship's personnel, and the bags show up very quickly. No need to worry that a flimsy tag will wear out! [Also many river cruise lines include really nice luggage tag holders in your welcome packet.]

... Are surge protectors/power strips allowed?...
I don't know the company policy, but a year or so ago surge protectors we're discussed extensively on the Royal Caribbean boards. The bottom line given by a US Merchant Marine Academy grad and current Chief Engineer on a ship (and who has given many reliable answers): surge protectors require "ground", ships have no connection to ground, this combination can lead to shorts and fire. A mechanically sound multi outlet WITHOUT surge protection does not have this problem but many lines' policy (not always enforced) is to ban anything of this nature rather than have to inspect everything.

Not only are surge protectors dangerous on a ship, they are unnecessary. I always travel with a long 110v extension cord that has three outlets. Always enough to plug in the CPAP and two chargers right by the nightstand. Be sure to bring converters if you have anything that takes only 110v, as you will certainly need it in your hotel. Otherwise, adaptors are sufficient.

And the Uniworld luggage tags are really good. Sturdy simulated leatherette with an opening that shows only your name and cabin number. Nothing else is necessary.

We found there were plenty of outlets, since we could use the built-in USB outlets in the wall plates for charging our devices. We also always pack a few European adapters just in case the US style of outlet is limited.

We do the same. The simplest European adapters cost less than $1 each which allow one to use those outlets; we also travel with items that work on both 220/110 and 50/60 cycle power. Our 10 foot extension cord for a CPAP also provides the opportunity for extending the number of outlets.

We do the same. The simplest European adapters cost less than $1 each which allow one to use those outlets; we also travel with items that work on both 220/110 and 50/60 cycle power. Our 10 foot extension cord for a CPAP also provides the opportunity for extending the number of outlets.

Oooo... do I need to pack an extension cord? I usually just assume their is a powerpoint by the bed for the CPAP!

Make no assumptions. I spend a lot of nights in hotels and always carry a long (maybe 12-15') extension cord. If I only use it 5% of the time, it is still worth packing, and doesn't take much space. Many times there is an outlet by the bed, but it is on the other side of the bed. If the outlet is on the wall opposite the bed, and you tend to get up at night, have a crew member tape the cord to the floor. Someday shipbuilders and hotel designers will realize that many of us travel with CPAPs and do the wiring accordingly. We did Uniworld's Douro cruise last year (which is a different type of vessel than their others) and I remember using the extension cord.

Make no assumptions. I spend a lot of nights in hotels and always carry a long (maybe 12-15') extension cord. If I only use it 5% of the time, it is still worth packing, and doesn't take much space. Many times there is an outlet by the bed, but it is on the other side of the bed. If the outlet is on the wall opposite the bed, and you tend to get up at night, have a crew member tape the cord to the floor. Someday shipbuilders and hotel designers will realize that many of us travel with CPAPs and do the wiring accordingly. We did Uniworld's Douro cruise last year (which is a different type of vessel than their others) and I remember using the extension cord.

I know this is off subject, but what did you think of your Douro river cruise? My husband and I are booked on that cruise this summer.

Oooo... do I need to pack an extension cord? I usually just assume their is a powerpoint by the bed for the CPAP!

Sometimes we pack the extension cord just for the extra outlets. When traveling on ocean cruises, contact the cruise line before the cruise and they will provide a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord; it has usually be in our cabin upon arrival, otherwise ask the cabin steward for the items and they appear quickly! I do not remember any cruise line ship that had outlets by the bed.

Our previous river cruises were a long time ago and at that time we did not use a CPAP.

I would just send an email to the river cruise line, explain your need, and ask for clarification.

I know this is off subject, but what did you think of your Douro river cruise? My husband and I are booked on that cruise this summer.

We loved it. Although we have done many small ship cruises (SeaDream), it was our first river boat. Very impressed with Uniworld and their staff. Have never been walked all the way to the check-in counter at the airport before. Added a day in Madrid at the beginning and did the city, palace and Prado tours and the Flamenco show with the group. Once on the boat, at the Portugal border, we thought the scenery was magnificent. Learned all about Port wine, visiting a vineyard and a winery. We had seen Lisbon several times before, so didn't add on, but did partake in the Pasteis de Belem (yum) during the city tour. Most tours gave the option of easy walking or strenuous. Food on board was very good, and both Madrid and Lisbon have many fine restaurants. You'll have a great time.

We loved it. Although we have done many small ship cruises (SeaDream), it was our first river boat. Very impressed with Uniworld and their staff. Have never been walked all the way to the check-in counter at the airport before. Added a day in Madrid at the beginning and did the city, palace and Prado tours and the Flamenco show with the group. Once on the boat, at the Portugal border, we thought the scenery was magnificent. Learned all about Port wine, visiting a vineyard and a winery. We had seen Lisbon several times before, so didn't add on, but did partake in the Pasteis de Belem (yum) during the city tour. Most tours gave the option of easy walking or strenuous. Food on board was very good, and both Madrid and Lisbon have many fine restaurants. You'll have a great time.

Thank you for your response! This will be our 5th river cruise with Uniworld, and we have always had a wonderful experience. Nice to hear your endorsement. Can't wait to explore a new part of the old world!